Old 08-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Originally Posted by metaljacket View Post
I think, unfortunately, a lot of this information about clutches and tires is lost on me.. It's hard for me to grasp the physics of why this would make a vehicle that's rated under pull so much more..
......! I think I can find a nice van for what I get for them and it seems that the van could pull any of the models I've looked at so I'm sold.
Your post said you plan on towing an Airstream with the Ridgeline, so those examples were just to let you know that there are factors in its tow rating that could be upgraded.

Does not matter if you are selling it

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We just went through all this and if I had to do it over again I would find the trailer that fits my purpose and then buy a TV to pull it. Anything else is a compromise. We did ultimately get the trailer we wanted and our TV pulls it with no issues so far. Once we get out west, that may change and we are prepared to upgrade the TV if needed.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
We sold our '89 Excella 25 to a couple with a Ridgeline. Other than the 750 WD bars being a bit light because like my Dakota the rear springs need help, he says he has no trouble. The only thing that they did is take the tuck to CanAM for some additional reinforcing ion the stock hitch. The Ridgeline did not have OD lock out but the dealer said to just let the truck do its thing. I saw Ridgelines pulling all manner of SOBs this recent trip around Superior.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
@JCWDCW, how was your trip around superior, sorry a little off topic. We are taking that trip next week!
1965 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
We passed through the US from Pt Huron to the Sault and did the trip westward. We used the Provincial parks all the way except for Wawa where we stayed at The Wawa RV Park for a couple of cold rainy days. This thread is pertinent since we pull a 25 Ecella with our Dakota Quad Cab. with 4.7 and 3.53 rear end. It has over 200,000 Km on it (137K miles +/-) mostly long distance driving but only 30% of that pulling a trailer. I knew going into the trip there are lots of 7% grades both up and down, but we have done this trip several times , including pulling a 23ft Award with a '90 GMC Jimmy with the 350 engine. The Dakota has the exact same HP and slightly more torque with 20% less displacement. We averaged 9.7 mpg (US) about the same as the Jimmy. On both vehicles we need to be over 60mph at the bottom of a hill to have any chance of making the top in reasonable shape. Since speed limit on #17 is 90km (55 mph) some hills end up in second gear holding 70 kph (45mph), but most trucks don't fare that well. You will end up following some seriously underpowered tractors on the trip. Scenery is fantastic and well worth the effort. Keep your tank full and watch the estimated 'miles to empty' carefully. Some stretches don't have fuel in every hamlet. Major centers have fuel on the highway. You are in for sticker shock on fuel price. we averaged $65 us in Michigan for fill up and paid $95 cdn in Sault Saint Marie Canada. We chose to return through UP from Thunderbay. Nice roads but boring compared to north of Superior..

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote