Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Thumbs up Please recommend a brake controller...

I just purchased a cherry 2003 4x4 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 1500HD with the 6 Liter. I will be towing a 31ft Limited. I need to install a brake controller...suggestions please. What kind or brand, what else do I need to purchase with it like harness and any additional info you can share. Good prices would also help...need it in a little less than 3 weeks. Install info or links to such info would be very helpful, I know how to install in a ford but not a GMC Thanks bunches everyone!

p.s. everything else is covered, sway bars, wd, etc...

Hugs, Mark
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I like the Prodigy P2 as I used it for a few years .. trouble free and predictable.
Amazon.com: Tekonsha Engineering 90885 Prodigy Brake Control: Automotive=

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
I've got the P3 - love it!
Amazon.com: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control: Automotive
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I have a Tekonsha Voyager. It works fine once you get it all adjusted, but it's not very easy to dial in. I've heard the Prodigy is much nicer. I need to upgrade myself, so will subscribe to this thread to see what others have to say.

One that I think looks slick is the one that has the cable that hooks to your brake pedal lever. I forget the name, but it works off your brake pedal position rather than having an internal inertia sensor.

Anyway, best of luck and hope to see you on the road someday,
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have used a Tekonsha Prodigy (an early model) for years and have been very satisfied. No problems towing our Bambi with two different tow vehicles, using the same brake controller. The P2 and P3 are later models, and we have heard good things about those models, too.

Also, check out other brands. Tekonsha is also sold under a couple of other brand names. However, they are easily recognizable; because they still use the same case, etc., and only the logo is different. So, they look identical, but may be a little cheaper.

By the way, if your vehicle is already wired for towing, you can save some more money by installing it yourself. The installation is really simple.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I say P2 4U.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Just needed a new one - our "brake guy" recommended a Dexter.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I use the MaxBrake controller. Expensive, but just plain amazing control.

MaxBrake™ - Hydraulic over Electric Variable Brake Controller
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I have a Hopkins Impulse controller. I like it because it has a digital readout. Easy to set and as long as you can remember what number it was on, easy to reset if it gets moved. On my 2005 chevy, I was able to purchase a plug and play quick connector that plugs into the under dash fuse box. On our 2010 gmc I bought a quick connector, cut the one end off and attached it to the existing wires rolled up and secured under the dash by the steering column, that way I can still remove the controller without cutting the wires. On both vehicles I also had to connect the brake controller hot wire (that is located behind the fuse box in the engine compartment) to the positive stud on the front side of the fuse box. About $120.00 from Auto Zone.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Thanks all! Think I'm going with the 90185 Prodigy brake control with adapter cable, buying through Trailer Parts Express for a shade over $100 for both!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Take A look at the Direclink controller...search for the recent thread. 'direclink' for more info... I think it's the best one available at this time - IMHO ...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Take A look at the Direclink controller...search for the recent thread. 'direclink' for more info... I think it's the best one available at this time - IMHO ...
No good reason to buy junk. Less than a P3 is unacceptable, and the P3 is easily overshadowed by better units. The DIRECLINK is about the best at present.

The same is true with tires and the hitch.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Do any "feature / function / specification" comparison charts exist for brake controllers? You know, metrics like "stopping distance" and "response time" as well as ease of use stuff like "how often adjustment needed to avoid skidding tires when leaving highway" and so on? Like everything else, including vehicles, we all choose either a basic economy car up thorugh a high end luxury car. The issue in everything we buy is generally "bang for the buck". I personally buy "quality tools" as I use them a lot and are cheaper in the long term, and actually do the job for which they are intended. Just wondering what those in this thread consider "must have", "nice to have" and "neat feature but really don't care". I am very familiar with numerous brake controllers and understand those whom can only afford $100 don't consider high end units, but wondering when looking at a higher end unit, what is important?
C5Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Please recommend a brake controller...

Greeting C5Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Don View Post
Just wondering what those in this thread consider "must have", "nice to have" and "neat feature but really don't care". I am very familiar with numerous brake controllers and understand those whom can only afford $100 don't consider high end units, but wondering when looking at a higher end unit, what is important?
I like to tow with my Vintage cars as well as my '99 Suburban, and I have found one option to be indispensible on my trailer brake controller. That one indispensible option is a remote emergency button. My first RV was a 1980 1780 Nomad Light-Weight with horrible road manners, and more than once a sway problem was made worse when I inadvertently moved the tow vehicle's steering wheel while reaching for the dash mounted brake controller. When I found the Hayes-Lemmerz Energize XPC with its remote control, I had to try one. I now use the Energize XPC when I need a brake controller for a tow vehicle.

The remote control cable plugs into the side of the controller, and can be easily removed for storage in the tow vehicle's glove compartment or console compartment when it isn't in use. My prior controllers were all Tekonshas, but I have never been as well satisfied with any of their products as I have been with my Energize XPC.

The Energize XPC is shown with its remote control in the photo below:

I believe that I am one of very few Forum members who utilize Hayes-Lemmerz trailer brake controllers, but I am very well satisfied with its functionality and performance.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller Model 90195 Control - Brand New - RV Cargo | eBay

Get with chevy harness.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
P3 has worked fine for us.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
So what does the DirecLink sense on the truck to work from? I see a bunch of side stuff it displays but no indication of what actually drives the brakes.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
So what does the DirecLink sense on the truck to work from? I see a bunch of side stuff it displays but no indication of what actually drives the brakes.
This thread is the best we all collectively know at this point:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ler-86877.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Overlander64: Sorry for my stupidity, but what do you mean by "remote control". Looks like a normal brake controller to me. Is if RF to some module elsewhere in the vehicle or trailer? I guess I could do s search and look for myself, but I may not be the only one that doesn't understand what you like about the unit.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
On the questions about what vehicle data the DirecLink brake controller uses to determine blue wire values I can't tell you as I am under Mutual Non Disclosure Agreements. However they do allow me to comment in generalities which I did do on the other DirecLink thread on this web site. One thing you can know is that DirecLink supports many vehicle networks, where each of these networks can also containg "vehcile specific parameters" and thus support a broad range of vehicles with a single unit should not be minimized, and thus some reasons for the cost. DirecLink also "changes the blue wires into a network" when a "DirecLink capable brake controller" is connected at the other end, otherwise it just operates in normal blue wire mode. Since blue wire turns into a network all kinds of diagnostic and configuraiton information then flows from the command module, through the brake controller to the brake actuator and optionally the ABS module. So the DirecLink Brake Controller is FAR MORE than just a different brake controller. Hope this helps.