Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller Model 90195 Control - Brand New - RV Cargo | eBay

Get with chevy harness.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
P3 has worked fine for us.

Gene

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
So what does the DirecLink sense on the truck to work from? I see a bunch of side stuff it displays but no indication of what actually drives the brakes.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
So what does the DirecLink sense on the truck to work from? I see a bunch of side stuff it displays but no indication of what actually drives the brakes.
This thread is the best we all collectively know at this point:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ler-86877.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Overlander64: Sorry for my stupidity, but what do you mean by "remote control". Looks like a normal brake controller to me. Is if RF to some module elsewhere in the vehicle or trailer? I guess I could do s search and look for myself, but I may not be the only one that doesn't understand what you like about the unit.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
On the questions about what vehicle data the DirecLink brake controller uses to determine blue wire values I can't tell you as I am under Mutual Non Disclosure Agreements. However they do allow me to comment in generalities which I did do on the other DirecLink thread on this web site. One thing you can know is that DirecLink supports many vehicle networks, where each of these networks can also containg "vehcile specific parameters" and thus support a broad range of vehicles with a single unit should not be minimized, and thus some reasons for the cost. DirecLink also "changes the blue wires into a network" when a "DirecLink capable brake controller" is connected at the other end, otherwise it just operates in normal blue wire mode. Since blue wire turns into a network all kinds of diagnostic and configuraiton information then flows from the command module, through the brake controller to the brake actuator and optionally the ABS module. So the DirecLink Brake Controller is FAR MORE than just a different brake controller. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Please recommend a brake controller...

Greetings C5Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Don View Post
Overlander64: Sorry for my stupidity, but what do you mean by "remote control". Looks like a normal brake controller to me. Is if RF to some module elsewhere in the vehicle or trailer? I guess I could do s search and look for myself, but I may not be the only one that doesn't understand what you like about the unit.
In the photo below, the remote control is the device with the red button. Rather than reaching down to the bottom of the dash, the remote control can rest beside you on your seat or console, or can be hung from the automtaic shift lever to be much closer at hand than having to reach to the actual controller at the bottom of the dash.

When I use my Cadillac, I usually drape the remote control over the automatic shift lever; but in the Suburban, it usually rides on the console next to me. I have only had to use it once or twice in the six or seven years that I have been utilizing the Energize XPC.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Thanks everyone for the great information...what a wealth of knowledge you all collectively posses! The controller and adapter cable have arrived...going to install and I'm good to go! I'll be around sharing loads of pics of the AS when I pick it up in Virginia on the 25th. Plus I'm sure I'll have a ton of newbie Q's down the road a piece so thanks in advance! Can't wait to haul her home and start livin the "Aluma-dream"...hey I think I just came up with a name for her!!!! Sweet...
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Overland64: I see, DirecLink is similar with the cable and such, but I can see where that round control would be nice on a steering column. Does that control also provide scaling adjustment for when you want to "crank it up"? I agree with you 100%, I think every controller should have some type of remote that is easily within reach. Do they have a braket to hold it on the steering column or did you make one?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Please recommend a brake controller...

Greetings C5Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Don View Post
Overland64: I see, DirecLink is similar with the cable and such, but I can see where that round control would be nice on a steering column. Does that control also provide scaling adjustment for when you want to "crank it up"? I agree with you 100%, I think every controller should have some type of remote that is easily within reach. Do they have a braket to hold it on the steering column or did you make one?
Yes, the gain and feather controls are on the dash mounted part of the control. The degree to which the red button is purshed in determines the force applied to the trailer brakes. Hayes doesn't manufacture any brackets for placing the remote. I generally just wrap the cable around the shift lever twice toward the top of the lever . . . and with the telescopic feature of the Cadillac's steering wheel, it is a finger's reach away from the steering wheel.

I have watched Tekonsha as well as the various competitors watching for someone else to offer a remote, but haven't seen one. Prior to purchasing my Hayes controller, one of the competitors offered a remote control that temporarily clamped to the steering wheel so that the emergency button was exceptionally convenient . . . I am not certain any longer which manufacturer offered that controller.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
DirecLink is simlar to yours, except their remote is similar to a CB Mic, not round like a pencil. Their's has the manual control lever and you can acjust scaling by holding the up or down button while on the main screen, However, it is more of a "counsel" unit and really not made for mounting on a steering wheel. I always figured something like a cruise command stalk would be nice, as you could effectively have it all on one control, and make it so you could clamp it to an existing stalk, like the old "aftermarket cruise command kits" of days gone by. However, you would also need a remote display that you could mount on the left window post so you could watch what you are doing. All that packaging would get costly though, and heck, people don't seem to like the price of any of the higher end units, so it would be difficult to justify the investment. When DL was initially defined all kinds of approaches were considered and you see the result. I hever liked to traditional approach, but it is cheap. At first I kind of raised my eyebrows at the DL approach, that is, until I used it a while where I grew to really like it. Although it may sound dumb, after a while due to those raised buttons you change settings and such without looking as you thumb easily locates where you are at. The trigger lever is also very nice. However, I would also like stalk mount as you indicated as it is "right there" when you need it, assuming you ever need manual control. Don't know how much manual gets used with DL units. However, the guys I work with are almost always running with ABS turned on, so maybe that's why it is seldom used since all you have to do in a panic stop is worry about the vehicle as trailer braking takes care of itself. Thanks for the info as I can understand your reasoning.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have a P3 as well and have been very happy with it. It alters you if you don't have a good brake connection, and you can adjust it on the fly. I found that very helpful with my new axles and brakes. As they set it I could try the power down.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Cle Elum , Washington
I've been thinking about the TruControl from Hensley. The rep said it was the best and I don't know. Here are the specs (words taken from their website) on the two choices they offer. Any input from the Forum would gladly be appreciated.

TruControl Silver Brake Controller ($129) - No gain adjustment, the TruControl Silver is fully automatic, offering the safest, most powerful trailer braking possible. Up to 24 Amps of stopping power (compared to 48 Amps with the Gold). Easy 4 wire hookup. The Silver II offers the same performance as the original Silver, but does not require leveling!

TruControl Gold Brake Controller ($197) -This is the world’s most advanced brake controller. No gain adjustment, it is fully automatic, offering the safest, most powerful trailer braking possible. The TruControl Gold Brake Controller is rated for 48amps of power, twice as much as any brake controller on the market. Easy four wire installation.