Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
SmokelessJoe's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,422
Piggyback car on dually

Cracker:

Iím in the middle of doing what youíre thinking about.

Next week we start to build the deck and ramp system for my SPRINTER cab and chassis dually.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mike snow.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	52369

(The Christmas snowstorm has already melted away)

The truck will carry my Black and Pepper White MINI Cooper and pull the 1976 ARGOSY that Iíve been customizing. The trailer will be painted to match the car.

Full story here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html


Sergei
__________________

__________________
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
The Smart car that uwe pointed out is exactly what I had in mind. I've been following its development for some time now. The length, weight - and even the shape would appear to work out just right. I haven't sketched it out yet - but the slope of the hood and windshield, with the car mounted on a ramp that starts at the top of the TV cab and comes down to the top of the rear bumper, would appear to be a nice setup. The height, and center of gravity, would also appear to be relatively low. Anybody got access to CAD for a quick sketch of a GMC/Ford crewcab dually with long bed that they could superimpose the body and Smart car on?
__________________

__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
The Smart car that uwe pointed out is exactly what I had in mind. I've been following its development for some time now. The length, weight - and even the shape would appear to work out just right. I haven't sketched it out yet - but the slope of the hood and windshield, with the car mounted on a ramp that starts at the top of the TV cab and comes down to the top of the rear bumper, would appear to be a nice setup. The height, and center of gravity, would also appear to be relatively low. Anybody got access to CAD for a quick sketch of a GMC/Ford crewcab dually with long bed that they could superimpose the body and Smart car on?
I thought it was a perfect object for your needs. Extremely short overhang front and rear, short wheelbase to make the angle where the ramps meet the truck bed, and small size/low weight. They are quite comfortable, too. By now they are proven and very popular, it's a hoot to see them scream down the Autobahn at close to 100mph.
I have a felling that these little cars are going to be a great asset to the MoHo owner that likes to tow 4-down. The car is designed to handle it.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
...
I have a felling that these little cars are going to be a great asset to the MoHo owner that likes to tow 4-down. The car is designed to handle it.
There is a motorhome manufacturer that uses a mid-engine chassis and builds a hydraulic lift mechanism that lifts this very car into a 10' long garage built into the rear of the coach. I saw this on a recent episode of RVTV from an industry RV show.
__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs down Say What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Of course, you could get a Tata Nano. seats 5, 4 door sedan, two cylinder engine, top end 60 mph. Pure driving excitement...
yeah, but you can't understand 'em when ya call for service
__________________
PFC.....

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
yeah, but you can't understand 'em when ya call for service
Oh, Bob, you don't service those cars. You have ot buy a new one.

The low ramp trucks like the red one Terry posted work very well when set up properly. The are/were used a lot by drag racers who could then pull a small travel trailer behind for camping at the race track.

I like the Sprinter idea. Great vehicles, reasonable gas mileage, and much newer technology.

As for the Smart Cars (what they are called here in Canada), I've seen a couple that were in accidents and they are not for me. If you hit another Smart Car you have a chance of surviving. Hit anything bigger, like a VW, and, well.................

Barry
__________________
Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
On the other hand, They would fair better than some of the golf carts we see operating in, and at the side of the road. And occasionally on the sidewalks.
Maybe.
__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57

As for the Smart Cars (what they are called here in Canada), I've seen a couple that were in accidents and they are not for me. If you hit another Smart Car you have a chance of surviving. Hit anything bigger, like a VW, and, well.................

Barry
Check out this video, guys and gals....they thrashed this little car into a concrete barrier head on at 70mph. Doors still open. Something to be said about low mass/high strength construction.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Oh, Bob, you don't service those cars. You have ot buy a new one.

The low ramp trucks like the red one Terry posted work very well when set up properly. The are/were used a lot by drag racers who could then pull a small travel trailer behind for camping at the race track.

I like the Sprinter idea. Great vehicles, reasonable gas mileage, and much newer technology.

As for the Smart Cars (what they are called here in Canada), I've seen a couple that were in accidents and they are not for me. If you hit another Smart Car you have a chance of surviving. Hit anything bigger, like a VW, and, well.................

Barry


Barry, I don't know what you saw but I saw a demonstration video of a Smart Car and a much larger car in a near head on and the Smart Cars passengers compartment survived much better than the larger car. I think because they are so small the occupant compartment is build like a race cars, made to protect the occupants.I could see one in my future especially if they import the deisel. Just type in Smart car crash video and see what you come up with.I think it will surprise you.
__________________
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Barry, I don't know what you saw but I saw a demonstration video of a Smart Car and a much larger car in a near head on and the Smart Cars passengers compartment survived much better than the larger car. I think because they are so small the occupant compartment is build like a race cars, made to protect the occupants.I could see one in my future especially if they import the deisel. Just type in Smart car crash video and see what you come up with.I think it will surprise you.
Craftsman

We saw a bunch of tests when they first introduced them into Canada and were quite impressed. But those were pretty controlled situations even though they crunched the cars.

My early enthusiasm was squelched when friends started sending pictures of them in real life accidents as well as You Tube vids. I don't know what a bejabber is, but I had them scared out of me.

Barry
__________________
Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
SmokelessJoe's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,422
My neighbor in Toronto is a professional racecar driver who runs a defensive driving and anti-skid school. His everyday car is a Smart Car.

I thought that was a good recommendation for the Smart Car but it may also be that such a person feels they can stay in control of things.

He also owns an original Mini, about 35 or 40 years old.

Sergei
__________________
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Cracker,

So here we are chatting about hauling a car on the truck and towing the Airstream and tonight we pass a dually Dodge 3/4 ton with a tracker on a ramp on the back and a car trailer flat deck behind with a regular cab, short box Dodge truck on the trailer, heading east on the Trans Canada Highway. It did not look overburdened in any way and they were making pretty decent time. The ramp on the truck was at an angle up and over the cab but I suspect that was so they could accommodate longer vehicles. A flat bed with a short car on it would probably work better for your needs, and provide less wind resistance.

Barry
__________________
Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
This is one of those concepts (piggyback) that are hard to justify when you put the dollars to it - even though it's very workable. I'm anxious to see the "Smart" car when it arrives at dealer showrooms. There are a lot of new car ideas coming out in the near future but the redeeming aspect of the "Smart" car is that it uses relatively simple and old proven technlogy - i.e., nothing more than a small gasoline engine sans sophisticated hybrid technology. Size is the other nice feature in that it's damn difficult to go tooling around downtown Quebec city, or other old towns, in a 23' long dually! Even Bar Harbor, Maine can pose a problem in the summertime when you try to park the darn thing! That's one of the reasons we bought a '91 classic Saab convertible - but unless the wife drives the Saab and trails along behind me we're stuck with the dually as our "touring" vehicle when we travel with the Airstream. Anyone in the market for a pristine '91 Saab SE Turbo convertible with 5-speed?
__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up Saablover

cracker..
pm saablover, maybe he can help....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...ver-17877.html
__________________

__________________
PFC.....

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Will Not Fit On Car Dolly! Chaplain Kent General Motorhome Topics 7 11-08-2006 05:46 PM
Best 1-Ton Dually on the market and why? Streamer1 Tow Vehicles 25 10-23-2006 09:16 AM
Car Ballooons 59toaster Off Topic Forum 6 02-04-2005 02:15 AM
MPG of F350 Diesel Dually??? joossens Tow Vehicles 13 06-13-2004 01:55 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.