Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I am in the exact same situation as the OP. I have a new 2015 Chevy 2500 HD and I am trying to figure out what to buy to cover the bed. I know I want to go the tonneau cover route rather than a topper for a number of reasons. The following issues are what I have discovered in my search:
1. Every cover that attaches to rails that mount even with the bed rails require two 5/8" holes drilled into the bed to route water drain lines through. These rails also take up bed space.
2. Every cover that attaches to rails that mount on top of the bed rails don't require the drain holes but may cover your bed stake pockets or the handhold pocket for the bumper step.
3. A retractable cover has a canister that takes up about a 12" x 12" space at the front of the bed and also requires the two 5/8" drain holes to drain the canister.

I really don't want to drill holes in my new bed and with a 6'6" bed, I really don't want to lose any bed space. If anyone has any ideas or know of a cover design that doesn't have the above negatives, I would love to hear about them.
See my previous post about the BAK Roll-X bed cover. It requires no holes to be drilled, no drain lines, doesn't cover the bed stake pockets or handhold pocket, and rolls up above the bed behind the rear cab window so it doesn't need a storage box that takes up space at the front of the bed. I don't work for BAK. I'm only speaking as a satisfied customer. I've added photos of my cover in the open position. And, here's a link to their website for this type of cover.

http://www.bakflip.com/p-349-roll-x-tonneau-cover.aspx?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=PPC&utm_camp aign=Bak+Tonneaus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0303.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	235484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0302.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	235485  

Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
Roadtech, I don't know what TV you have, but all of mine have had knock-out plugs in the bed, behind the cab, on both sides. I just put in a Retrax cover, with the drain tubes routed out those plug holes. No need to drill.

By the way, the Retrax is pricey, but I love mine.
+1
I have a Retrax Pro, and love it.
Retraxâ„¢, The Last Bed Cover You'll Buy

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
See my previous post about the BAK Roll-X bed cover. It requires no holes to be drilled, no drain lines, doesn't cover the bed stake pockets or handhold pocket, and rolls up above the bed behind the rear cab window so it doesn't need a storage box that takes up space at the front of the bed.
When it is rolled up, is there space between the roll and the window, or does it contact the window and the rear of the cab? If it contacts, could it scratch that area when traveling with it rolled up?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The Lund Genisis does not cover bed pockets as it fits inside the bed rails,rolls up without the bulkiness,locks with the tailgate and no holes to drill.Also holds up perfectly to automatic car washes.Uses up no bed space and it's less than $300.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Tri-Fold works well and is light weight. I can flip open as needed to reach over the sides or I can take off by my self. I like it cause it is strong, water tight, functionally flexible if I need to haul something, and secure when I lock the tale gate. No roll up hassle, nor crawling under a topper to get to something which may be up by the cab in the bed. Works well for us.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
When it is rolled up, is there space between the roll and the window, or does it contact the window and the rear of the cab? If it contacts, could it scratch that area when traveling with it rolled up?
Roadtech: There is space between the rolled up cover and the window, but if you apply your brakes really hard I suppose there could be brief contact with the window. BAK provides some stick-on rubber strips to attach to the underside of the cover to prevent any scratches where the rolled-up cover would contact the rear window. I didn't install those strips. I've never had any problems with rear window contact or scratches from the rolled up cover. 99% of the time, the cover is rolled out flat covering the bed of the truck. I rarely carry loads that require the cover to be in the rolled-up/open position.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have the BacX hard rolling tonneau like Nomad on my 2013 Chevy 2500HD extended cab and agree with everything he posted about it. If you want a tonneau, it's hard to imagine a better one.

I'm thinking about a full topper for more enclosed storage but very happy with the BacX. Had it on for 2 years - no leaks, no damage, no problems.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
Don't forget to consider the additional weight of a topper on your tow vehicle axles........

Just purchased a 25' FC to pull behind my Sierra 1500 4WD. Dealer said I my TV was more than enough to pull my new AS. Just had it weighed and I'm very close to my rear axle capacity. Do the math before you decide......

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

blufishin is offline   Reply With Quote