Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I will venture that what you want is a BAK-FLIP. I have one on my Ram and drive it thru those high-pressure-whirling-brushes-high-air-pressure-blower car washes almost weekly. I keep soft athletic bags full of junk and valuable office-work and tools inside my bed....and not even a DROP of water gets in there! (I did add a bit of weatherstripping to the aft, vertical walls of the bed where the tailgate shuts...but that has nothing to do with the Bak-Flip at all...every truck on the market will need that area weatherstipped if you truly want driving rain and car pressure-washers to stay out.

It is BLACK, hardened against hail, etc., and powder-coated (or hard-paint... I can't tell, but it's awful durable because I've carried heavy laden trash cans on it to the front gate of my ranchhome and it supports several hundred pounds of weight without evidence when it's closed.)

I was a bit off-put at first as to how it folds up (when fully open) against the rear window and blocks the rearview...but then I realized I LIKE THAT because it prevents shifting cargo from slamming forward in a panic-stop and busting out the rear window!)

It will take serious crowbar-effort to get inside it if you have a locking tailgate (which you certainly should have if you don't want to lose your tailgate to thieves.)

I ordered mine from AutoAnything and it was delivered ON TIME and in good shape, properly packaged. The instructions were easy to follow and all the hardware necessary was included. It took about an hour and I'm a slow/careful/fussy installer. No. It's not cheap. (Shop Amazon, etc and you might find it around $750/up.) But I don't like cheap. I like quality.

BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover - Reviews, Best Price & Free Shipping on BAK F1 Truck Bed Covers

Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
To protect the bed itself, I had Line-X spray-on bed liner put on. Then to cover the bed, I installed a BAK Roll-X cover. As you can see from the photo, it fits flush with the top edge of the bed. There are two tracks that clamp (with bolts) to the inside edges along the top of each side of the bed (no drilling required). The top locks to these tracks all along each side of the bed. And, when the tailgate is closed and locked, the entire cover is locked too. It's water tight except for a couple of small gaps at the top edge of the tailgate, but only a small amount of water gets in when I take the truck through a high-pressure car wash. It's really sturdy with interlocking metal strips underneath and rugged vinyl of some sort on the top. If you need to carry tall loads, the top rolls up toward the back window of the cab where straps hold it in place. I installed it myself in about 30 minutes. I bought mine online from AutoAccessories Garage where I got a 10% "newbie" discount for placing my first order. It's great! I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0300.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	235449  

Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I had a hard cover hinged at the front on my F150. It was good, but had to be separately locked, and was too heavy to remove to carry taller items. I recently traded trucks and now have an Extang Solid Fold. It sounds like the same as the one previously mentioned, 1" thick, aluminum skinned, aluminum honeycomb interior, foam insulation. It is SOLID! MY wife and I installed it in about 15 minutes. It does not have a separate lock, but when secured over a lockable tailgate, the back of the truck is very secure. We love it; the prefect solution for us.

The only bad thing in your situation is it may not be compatible with a toolbox. Google Extang and check their web site for other options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Checkout fold-a-cover. Well made, works great on our F150 super crew and the only one I found with a toolbox option under 1st section behind cab. A real nice cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Hard to beat the topper for extra cargo capacity ... at the expense of clear rear vision.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
F150 Crew Cab with short bed. Leer Cap with Thule luggage rack with Thule kayak holders.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
I am in the exact same situation as the OP. I have a new 2015 Chevy 2500 HD and I am trying to figure out what to buy to cover the bed. I know I want to go the tonneau cover route rather than a topper for a number of reasons. The following issues are what I have discovered in my search:
1. Every cover that attaches to rails that mount even with the bed rails require two 5/8" holes drilled into the bed to route water drain lines through. These rails also take up bed space.
2. Every cover that attaches to rails that mount on top of the bed rails don't require the drain holes but may cover your bed stake pockets or the handhold pocket for the bumper step.
3. A retractable cover has a canister that takes up about a 12" x 12" space at the front of the bed and also requires the two 5/8" drain holes to drain the canister.

I really don't want to drill holes in my new bed and with a 6'6" bed, I really don't want to lose any bed space. If anyone has any ideas or know of a cover design that doesn't have the above negatives, I would love to hear about them.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Pickup Bed Cover

I have tried them all and on the last 4 trucks I use a Lund roll up lockable tonneau.They work great,no holes no hassle and removable when trading time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Roadtech, I don't know what TV you have, but all of mine have had knock-out plugs in the bed, behind the cab, on both sides. I just put in a Retrax cover, with the drain tubes routed out those plug holes. No need to drill.

By the way, the Retrax is pricey, but I love mine.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
Roadtech, I don't know what TV you have, but all of mine have had knock-out plugs in the bed, behind the cab, on both sides. I just put in a Retrax cover, with the drain tubes routed out those plug holes. No need to drill.

By the way, the Retrax is pricey, but I love mine.
I just checked again, and my 2015 Chevy 2500 HD does not have any knockouts on the bed behind the cab or on the sides. It does have one on either side at the other end next to the tail gate. It has some very small drain holes in the floor of the bed behind the cab, but they would have to be drilled out larger.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Bummer.... my 2015 Ram has the plugs. My Fords also did. Never had a Chevy though.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I prefer the Undercover. It is made of ABS plastic, weights about 60 lbs., can be taken off by one person in under 5 minutes and replaced by two people in about 5 minutes. The one I had I could walk on and I am 250 lbs. They are available in colors to match your truck.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
We have a Roll N Lock on our truck and it works great. It works like an overhead brand garage door. It is made out of durable aluminum panels that just roll up into a compartment near the cab. It is waterproof (mostly anyway) and locks. You can even get a power one that works from a remote. They may not work with most toolboxes though.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When we bought a truck I definitely wanted some sort of cover as we planned to make extensive use of the box area when camping.

I considered a tonneau cover but in the end decided that since I had no plans to ever carry really tall times in the bed, for us a full shell or cap made more sense to maximize the enclosed area.

We went that route and bought a Leer cap. It is level with the truck cab and IMHO looks very nice on the truck - sort of like a large SUV. I'm sure that is a very personal thing and others may well prefer the truck look that is retained with a tonneau cover.

Glad we went that route it suits our use perfectly and we carry a pile of stuff back there that keeps clutter out of our trailer when we travel - everything from generator, air compressor, ladder, to boxes of boots/shoes, etc. etc. The windows are pretty heavily tinted so you cannot see much of what is stored inside!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote