Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

ocean city , New Jersey
Picking a vehicle for my 1974 Argosy 22' Footer

Hey guys! I'm new and apologize if I sound like it. I am about to purchase and restore a 1974 Argosy Rear Door 22 Footer, which has a gross weight of 5800 LBS. Which seems heavy to me for 22 feet, but alas, it is what it is. Anyway, I am going to tow it to a location where I can gut it and work on it this summer, and then I'm going to trade in my Kia Soul which of course cant tow a mouse, and buy something with enough torque to pull it. I don't even know where to start. I'd like to avoid a flat bed truck if possible, because I want to be able to have a car that I can use to transport my music equipment, and a way to transport friends and family when i'm visiting people. I know there are some SUVs with major power, but I don't know much past that... I'm wondering if anyone has trailer like mine or similar in weight and tows with an SUV, and if so what you have and why you prefer it? Thank you!

Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Welcome to the forum girasoledonn. Maybe rent a 3/4 ton truck, or ask a friend to tow it. This will give you time to read the tow vehicle threads, and help you decide what's best for your needs. Google; airforum tow vehicle.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bronx , New York
Look at Vans since you need something large to get your music equipment to gigs, i know what that is ALL about. FORD E250 OR E350. Just a thought.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

ocean city , New Jersey
I don't think i need something as big as a van? I fit all my music equipment in my Kia soul which is a hatchback. I am a piano player and have my keyboard stand and amp, and some CDs thats about it. I guess I could get a van, but I think what I'd really prefer is an SUV. Could I get away with something that isn't four wheel drive?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Look at the Tahoes/Yukons. Great daily driver, and mine has pulled my 5,000lb FC all across this country in a satisfactory manner. I think that would be a good combination for what you're looking for. jon
Old 04-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
The gross weight is posted on the trailer number plate and that is loaded with gear, water and propane. 5800# suprises me since my 28' Argosy is only 6400#.

Most rent companies stipulate no towing with their pickups and they won't have a brake controller. If you rent a box truck or bobtail moving truck, those have hitches and are setup for towing a car or trailer when you move so you should be able to tow the trailer.

When you buy your tow vehicle, take a look at a 2007 or newer V8 Toyota Sequoia with tow package. That is a large SUV and will effortlessly tow your trailer. The Sequoia is rated up to 10,000# towing depending on engine, year and options. The mid size Toyota Highlander is rated at 5000# max with V6 and would be maxed out. It is best to stay 20% below the max rating of the tow vehicle. Manufacturers ratings are optimistic and trailers tend to be heavier than you think.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
You're unlikely to hit gross weight unless you really load it up, or your renovation uses heavy materials. Airstream said the '74 Safari (23') had a dry weight of 3450 on the heavy configuration. The 22' Argosy should be in that ballpark if not lighter. Ask/search around and see if someone w/ a 22 has run it across a scale.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Those rear door Argosy's are one of our favourite layouts. Congrats on the find. Those smaller Argosy's tow great when set up right.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

ocean city , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Look at the Tahoes/Yukons. Great daily driver, and mine has pulled my 5,000lb FC all across this country in a satisfactory manner. I think that would be a good combination for what you're looking for. jon
Thank you so much! I will look into them.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

ocean city , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Those rear door Argosy's are one of our favourite layouts. Congrats on the find. Those smaller Argosy's tow great when set up right.
Can you tell me more I mean about setting them up right so they tow great.. and why do they tow great? I am excited it is such a great find! I'm just surprised it is so heavy gross weight? Dry its 3360 but gross its 5800. And only 22 feet.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

ocean city , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
The gross weight is posted on the trailer number plate and that is loaded with gear, water and propane. 5800# suprises me since my 28' Argosy is only 6400#.

Most rent companies stipulate no towing with their pickups and they won't have a brake controller. If you rent a box truck or bobtail moving truck, those have hitches and are setup for towing a car or trailer when you move so you should be able to tow the trailer.

When you buy your tow vehicle, take a look at a 2007 or newer V8 Toyota Sequoia with tow package. That is a large SUV and will effortlessly tow your trailer. The Sequoia is rated up to 10,000# towing depending on engine, year and options. The mid size Toyota Highlander is rated at 5000# max with V6 and would be maxed out. It is best to stay 20% below the max rating of the tow vehicle. Manufacturers ratings are optimistic and trailers tend to be heavier than you think.
Hmmmm I was hoping I could just rent an actual towing company to take it away for me? Its 3 hour drive and the thing is - this dude is up in the MOUNTAINS and I'd be towing for the first time on a very narrow one lane road through no civilization in a truck I am not familiar with... I'm afraid Id go off the cliff and tumble to my death ahahahah

The plate says 5800 which I agree is surprising. I see people with Argosy that are so much lighter than mine. What the heck? Dry weight is 3360. I wanted a minuet, but those are harder to find, and I'm getting this trailer for a song.

THANK you so much for the info on an SUV. I really don't want a truck. I'm going to look at a Sequoia now...Are there no issues with wheelbase on that SUV? I had heard you have to be careful with wheelbase on SUVs for towing.. but I'm not sure what that means..
Old 04-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

ocean city , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Also, i do like the layout but... I don't love how squashed the bed is into the kitchen cabinets when its pulled out? I mean its flush with the cabinets, and I was hoping to leave it up as a day bed all the time since its only me going to be living in it. I may redo the cabinets I don't even know. Oh and i was talking bout the bed that its int he nose of the Argosy where the panoramic windows are.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

ocean city , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You're unlikely to hit gross weight unless you really load it up, or your renovation uses heavy materials. Airstream said the '74 Safari (23') had a dry weight of 3450 on the heavy configuration. The 22' Argosy should be in that ballpark if not lighter. Ask/search around and see if someone w/ a 22 has run it across a scale.
I'm still learning how to understand the weight configuration ( dry, gross, tongue) etc. The 22 Argosy has a dry weight of 3360, but a gross weight of 5800. So the gross weight is with all the tanks full? Thats what it means? Cant you tow it with empty water tanks, and that will at the very least reduce the gross weight quite a bit? Cause I'd like to get the smallest tow vehicle I can use safely, and avoid a truck if possible. Also it will only be me.. so when they say gross weight, how many passengers are they assuming would travel?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Gross weight means the weight of the trailer is engineered to deal with at the max. Dry weight usually includes propane but not water, but with all tanks totally full you're only talking about 350 lb of liquid, and I doubt you can use the full nominal capacity of any of the tanks. So, your towed weight is the dry weight plus the weight of what you load in, including water.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote