Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by girasoledonn View Post
Hey guys! I'm new and apologize if I sound like it. I am about to purchase and restore a 1974 Argosy Rear Door 22 Footer, which has a gross weight of 5800 LBS. Which seems heavy to me for 22 feet, but alas, it is what it is. Anyway, I am going to tow it to a location where I can gut it and work on it this summer, and then I'm going to trade in my Kia Soul which of course cant tow a mouse, and buy something with enough torque to pull it. I don't even know where to start. I'd like to avoid a flat bed truck if possible, because I want to be able to have a car that I can use to transport my music equipment, and a way to transport friends and family when i'm visiting people. I know there are some SUVs with major power, but I don't know much past that... I'm wondering if anyone has trailer like mine or similar in weight and tows with an SUV, and if so what you have and why you prefer it? Thank you!
Most SUV's can pull the load. The problem you come up against is the car's payload limitation, and also the hitch receiver strength. Your max payload (occupants + cargo + tongue load) should be indicated on the door label of your car. You will need at least 10% of your trailer weight on the tongue to ensure safe, sway-free operation, so figure on 600 lbs for that. Throw in the driver and passenger for another 400 lbs and you're up to 1000 lbs.

You will need a weight distribution hitch. That will take off maybe 200 lbs from the car's payload, but it will put a large torque on the car's hitch receiver that might be more than it can handle. People have solved this by reinforcing the hitch receiver's attachments to the tow vehicle.

Many people have completely overloaded rigs and they have had no problems. Best advice is to drive slowly.

Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Contact the local Airstream club. One of their members may be able to tow it for you. They also may have someone who will do a pre-purchase check over for you, so, you will have a better idea of what it needs.

It has a higher gross weight because it has 2 axles so it is rated to carry more. Attached are sheets from 1975 & 76 sales brochures which should be similar, so, you can compare layouts and weights with other Argosy models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy_20_22_24_1976.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	283387   Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy_24_26_28_1975-med.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	283388  

rvb is offline   Reply With Quote