Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Payload ... what about the driver?

Shopping for a new tow, I'm finding it hard to extract good information and numbers from the dudes on the sales lots.

None so far has ever heard of "payload." Now, I have the salesman send me a photo of the door tag, if I'm not there myself.

But what's included in that payload calculation? Should the weight of the driver be subtracted from that number, along with passengers and gear, or has the automaker already factored that in?

Trust me, if you ever want to baffle a dealer, ask that question.

So with that in mind, let me put the question to the Airstream folks, who understand the issue.

Which manufacturer — Ford, GM, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota — factors in the weight of the driver before establishing a number for payload

Also, what about fuel? Does the manufacturer's payload number factor in a full tank, or do I need to subtract for that as well?

Interesting how payload is considered a key limiting factor ... but the people selling the iron have no idea.

WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Erie , Colorado
See https://www.carsdirect.com/car-safet...vehicle-weight

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_..._weight_rating

GVW/Curb weight is the vehicle full of fuel and fluids, stationary with no passengers.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Shopping for a new tow, I'm finding it hard to extract good information and numbers from the dudes on the sales lots.

None so far has ever heard of "payload." Now, I have the salesman send me a photo of the door tag, if I'm not there myself.

But what's included in that payload calculation? Should the weight of the driver be subtracted from that number, along with passengers and gear, or has the automaker already factored that in?

Trust me, if you ever want to baffle a dealer, ask that question.

So with that in mind, let me put the question to the Airstream folks, who understand the issue.

Which manufacturer — Ford, GM, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota — factors in the weight of the driver before establishing a number for payload

Also, what about fuel? Does the manufacturer's payload number factor in a full tank, or do I need to subtract for that as well?

Interesting how payload is considered a key limiting factor ... but the people selling the iron have no idea.
Look for the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker on your door. It will tell you, for that specific vehicle with all its options, what the maximum allowable load is. That load includes all cargo, passengers and trailer tongue load. It assumes that the fuel tank is full so you could theoretically add more cargo if the tank is half full.
out of sight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Look for the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker on your door. It will tell you, for that specific vehicle with all its options, what the maximum allowable load is. That load includes all cargo, passengers and trailer tongue load. It assumes that the fuel tank is full so you could theoretically add more cargo if the tank is half full.
But "passengers," does that include the driver? My English says no, but ... I'm not an auto engineer.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think the payload is in addition to a skinny driver and a full load of fuel.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
Quote:

From my 2018 F-150 owners manual. From this I take it that you do NOT subtract gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	335747  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
"Payload" has never been the limiting factor for me...
I have always used actual as used vehicle weights and axle ratings...from the sticker.

Our Burb....

Fully loaded for camping all axles are well under their limits.
Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
oop's... I misspoke in the above post, all axels except the ASs'... whoever built the trailer equipped it with two 3500lb axles and still gave it a GVWR of 7300lb. 🥴
How kool is that?👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_20a5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	335751  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Davie , FL
Quote:
But "passengers," does that include the driver? My English says no, but ... I'm not an auto engineer.
Actually, the sticker says "occupants", not passengers. So the driver's weight is part of the maximum allowable load.

Note that the maximum payload given by the door sticker is usually quite a bit less than the manufacturer's advertised payload. The latter is for a completely stripped down vehicle with no options. The weight of the options comes out of the advertised payload to arrive at the sticker payload.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I believe most manufacturer's allow for a 150 lb driver, which is not counted against the payload capacity. I am not sure how they came up with that number. In my case, there are almost 2 drivers, LOL.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
I believe most manufacturer's allow for a 150 lb driver, which is not counted against the payload capacity. I am not sure how they came up with that number. In my case, there are almost 2 drivers, LOL.
Not so; "passengers" means all occupants....including the driver... unless it spells out different. (I haven't seen different.) Several folks here have gone around and around on this discussion over the years.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #12
Site Team

, Minnesota
The driver's weight is not included in payload.

My reasoning behind this is as follows:

1. When I pull onto the Cat scales, the call button is located on a pole and is at least 8 ft off the ground, so a driver in a semi can reach it from his window.

2. I need to get out of my vehicle and climb up the pole to push the call button. Since the pole is not on the scale, and I am hanging on the pole, my weight is not included in the weight on the ticket.

3. If I were driving a semi, or a lifted F350, then my weight would be included, as I could push the call button from the driver's seat.

I hope this illuminates the situation.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
If there is this much discussion on the definition of payload I can see why a subject like "best truck" or "best hitch" really gets beaten to death!

So now I'll chime in... how can payload be anything other than all occupants, cargo, etc.? Some imaginary 150lb. driver? Who came up with that?! Maybe I've been around GM trucks too long but as far as I know GM has always indicated payload includes all occupants. All occupants means the driver too! No theoretical 150 lb. drivers - the actual weight of the driver!

Take a look at note 3 in the snip from the 2018 Silverado 1500 information available on the internet:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018_Silverado_payload.PNG
Views:	74
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	335785  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Davie , FL
The 150 lb driver allowance probably comes from SAE J2807's definition of TVTW (tow vehicle total weight). TVTW allows 150 lbs for a driver and passenger. This SAE standard:

"establishes minimum performance criteria at GCWR and calculation methodology to determine tow-vehicle TWR for passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks. This includes all vehicles up to 14000 lb GVWR".

It has nothing to do with the manufacturers tire and loading sticker.