Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I'm so glad we don't have a meaningless sticker talking about confusing 'payload' limits on our TV.🤔
Happy Daze👍

You want specs....Here 'ya go, everything you never knew you wanted to know about your vehicle.
Have fun.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-31-2019, 07:37 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dealers add stickers for the options they installed. I thought it was a law, but I could be wrong. I have a 2013 Toyota FJ and it has a sticker added for some options. I also add options to vehicles, such as the tonneau on our Tundra. There may also be stickers added for different tire sizes.

Calculating curb weight from stickers, owner’s manuals, etc., might get you a pretty accurate number, but weighing it is much more so. Fill your tank, diet down to 150 lbs., and go for it. Then find a scale, not always easy in some places.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #63
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Dealers add stickers for the options they installed. I thought it was a law, but I could be wrong. I have a 2013 Toyota FJ and it has a sticker added for some options. I also add options to vehicles, such as the tonneau on our Tundra. There may also be stickers added for different tire sizes.

Calculating curb weight from stickers, owner’s manuals, etc., might get you a pretty accurate number, but weighing it is much more so. Fill your tank, diet down to 150 lbs., and go for it. Then find a scale, not always easy in some places.
It's a recent 'law' from headquarters.
Our TV is pre load police....
“It’s not the system thats the problem, think Circus, it’s not the car, it’s that the car is full of Clowns.”
John Turley

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
I don't think the dealer will let me take a vehicle to a scale — nearest CAT scale is way out of town.

Just trying to get a relatively accurate gauge of what the truck or SUV can carry, judging by the door sticker. Now, 150 pounds isn't likely to be a deal breaker, but since some of the new trucks are so light on the payload, it does matter when calculating the fudge factor — I don't want to be right on the limit.

I could ask the folks in the dealer showroom, but ... as best I can tell, they actually know little about the vehicles they sell.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I don't think the dealer will let me take a vehicle to a scale — nearest CAT scale is way out of town.

Just trying to get a relatively accurate gauge of what the truck or SUV can carry, judging by the door sticker. Now, 150 pounds isn't likely to be a deal breaker, but since some of the new trucks are so light on the payload, it does matter when calculating the fudge factor — I don't want to be right on the limit.

I could ask the folks in the dealer showroom, but ... as best I can tell, they actually know little about the vehicles they sell.
Couple points: your right; don't ask/trust the "folks in the dealer showroom about specs."! Your right; they typically don't know "sh...from shine-ola" ; especially when talking about Payload! Check out the sticker in the door jam of the vehicle you are looking at...that's the only method I know of where you will get pretty accurate numbers for given vehicle; not on the internet, not on the spec sheet, and certainly not form the sales guys! And don't forget; payload includes everyone and everything you plan to carry, including driver, wife, girlfriend, kids, dog, parakeet, lizard, spiders, generator, kayaks, canoe, racks, gas, firewood, bbq,.....wait, did I leave something out?? Oh, and you don't need to take the vehicle to the scales for the payload...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #66
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Also check the window sticker for dealer added options—they may not show up on a second door sticker. Then, what about what you may add? Tonneau or camper top are common additions. I figured 100 lbs. for the tonneau and am sure a camper top weighs more than that.

With scores of models for each brand and multiple brands to sell, you really can't expect the sales staff to know a gazillion numbers, but shouldn't they find it out for you? If they do, can you trust them? They have to go to frequent sales meetings and get the push to sell, not the push to be honest.

I don't think you need to add both wife and girlfriend as gypsydad suggests—in fact if you try to bring both, you may end up with neither and save weight. Depends on your goals.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And your living arrangements...

Let’s keep this inclusive! 🤨
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I agree about incusivity. Bring as many wives and girlfriends as you want.

When trucks drive themselves, will curb weight include the guy who used to drive?

Old 04-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just keep in mind the Chinese character for “trouble” translates as “two women under one roof” which is what it actually looks like.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #70
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Ahh... Jocularity👍

...Exactly what's needed on an overloaded payload thread.😂
Old 04-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #71
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

A few of thoughts. Getting relatively accurate gauge on PL for the F-150 is fairly easy. The F-150 Forum has a thread "post your payload" or something like that. The OP built a spreadsheet that has payload, GVWR, options, trim, engine, body, model year, etc. Last time I looked, there were about 150 vehicles entered. A bit of analysis should get you a pretty good idea. Not sure if other brands have similar info out there.
Second, Ford posts a document that has the weight of various options and base weight for the vehicle by model/trim. Info is used by customizing companies. I'd expect other brands do the same.

Third, there are dealers who post the payload sticker on their website. Again, compiling a list will get you in to a spot that is "close enough for horse shoes".
Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I agree about incusivity. Bring as many wives and girlfriends as you want.

When trucks drive themselves, will curb weight include the guy who used to drive?
And you wonder why my wife won't let me move to Utah??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #73
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
And you wonder why my wife won't let me move to Utah??
We live 20 miles from Utah, so I tried to convince my wife that meant that I could have two wives rather than the unlimited amount on the other side of the state line. She is very smart and did not believe me. She is right, of course, because why would I want two women telling me what to do?

Back to payload, or is that topic exhausted?

Old 04-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #74
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
There is nothing more fun than arguing with my DW...when she has the hiccups.🤔😂

Bob
🇺🇸