Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is another video that makes it even clearer.

https://youtu.be/2rgEEyTryig

I think I am going to be happy with the results.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #62
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sweet Streams...

Ahhh...Canfield OH, Steel Valley Cluster, Christmas in Canfield, just spent 6 daze on the Fairgrounds last week.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #63
33 foot Spartan Royal Man

Currently Looking...
Guelph , ontario
Hope it works out, but I still prefer the adjustability of the air bags or I suppose the upper springs that only contact when loaded.. Day to day not towing the ride would be more compliant. I have an F150 (they have F250 rear ends now as I understand) with the air bag helpers, self installed without dismantling springs.. Haven't tried them but there are plastic cones that act as helper springs too..
Best of luck, and whatever your height, remember you can just use a different unit in the receiver..
Are they all 2 5/16 balls now? My 1950 Spartan is 2 inch, I want to keep the slimp hitch, but 2 inch rated at 5000lbs is a bit iffy if inspected.. Found a forged 2 inch ball rated at 7500 lbs.. all good.
Cheers,
Rick
Spartan Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Sweet Streams...

Ahhh...Canfield OH, Steel Valley Cluster, Christmas in Canfield, just spent 6 daze on the Fairgrounds last week.

Bob
🇺🇸
Oh my! We live 3/4 of a mile from the fairgrounds. We could have got together! Of course we were in Jackson Center.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Rick View Post
Best of luck, and whatever your height, remember you can just use a different unit in the receiver..
Are they all 2 5/16 balls now? My 1950 Spartan is 2 inch, I want to keep the slimp hitch, but 2 inch rated at 5000lbs is a bit iffy if inspected.. Found a forged 2 inch ball rated at 7500 lbs.. all good.
Cheers,
Rick
My unit is adjustable so I can move it up or down. 2 5/16" ball.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #66
Excellent

2000 30' Excella
Paris , Ontario
I have a 2018 F150 with maximum tow package. I added the Roadmaster suspension which raised the rear a bit but distributes payloads more easily. it is also transferable between any F150
sgnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
First impressions!

Just picked up the F-250 from my mechanic. Two guys worked 5 1/2 hours on the truck! Added the leaf spring and the Sulastic shock. $569.00 labor.

Leaving the garage and making the first turn and WOW! Felt solid as a rock and seemed soooo smooth. Just driving it straight and it feels like a new truck. No road noise and just a solid feeling.

Turned right on to a road with filled pot holes. Not bad, just rouge surface. I don't feel anything inside the cab. The ride is amazing.

Take another right onto a 55 mph curvey road out of town. The steering feels so smooth? It's got to be the solid rear end making it seem like I am on rails. This is truly amazing. I hit a rough spot on a curve and notice immediately there is no "hop" out of the truck. That is the thing I hated about this truck. Curvey rough road and the rear wants to hop. The hop is gone.

I got it home and hooked up the trailer. I am 2" higher than before with the stinger. That will eventually go to 1 1/2" as the springs settle. I have to go back to get the U bolts re-torqued in 2 or 3 weeks. The trailer is sitting level with no weight distribution. I crank it up to 5 1/2" on the towers and the trailer does not move. Both the front and the rear end of the truck have come down 1". It looks good but I need to get on more level ground to see where the trailer is at.

Tomorrow is another day and I will report back on how it is towing. I am really encouraged with the improvement overall. It really feels like a different truck.

Cost to date: $399.00 for the sulastic shocks
$200.00 Add-a-leaf
$569.00 Installation.
----------
$1168.00 TOTAL

The installation would not have taken this long if the mechanics had experience installing the Sulastic shocks. They found out on the second one to install the shock first and then add the leaf spring. Don't try to do it all at once. This truck requires a lot of torqued bolts. Tire lug nuts, Ubolt Nuts,Sulastic bolts and nuts, and top spring nut. That takes time. The U-bolts alone took two guys 20 minutes to do it properly. Elastic bolts along with the leaf springs tightening together took a bit of patience and brute strength. 125 lbs. of torque on the 8 U bolt nuts. That is why they want me to come back and have them torqued one more time after things settle.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
No kidding Turk. I grew up just down 224 in Boardman. We were always at the fair. What about those DiRusso's Sausage sandwiches. We have our own Handels Ice cream now in Carlsbad.

We were over at the Ford dealership last week. No more F350 short beds. They don't make them anymore, at least that's what they told me!
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Turk,
Was it the Sulastic Shackles or overload leaf that added to the height of the truck?
Do you think it was the Sulastic Shackles that took the "hop" out of the rear end?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Turk,
Was it the Sulastic Shackles or overload leaf that added to the height of the truck?
Do you think it was the Sulastic Shackles that took the "hop" out of the rear end?
The added leaf is what adds the height. Definitely, the Sulastic shock takes the "hop" out.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So we hooked up the trailer and down the road we went. I normally put 7" on the Propride towers, but today I just added 5 1/2". Partially because the trailer is level without and weight distribution. Adding the 5 1/2' to the tower stiffens the connection. Amazingly the front and rear drop the same amount, 1".

After a few turns, I can tell the trailer is very stable. I get up to speed (55 mph) and the ride is wonderful. I can feel the truck and trailer taking up the shock. It is not stiff. It rebounds to the dips in the road with NO porpoising. I also noticed that stopping feels more controlled.

I am loving this. I just got on the interstate and hit 65 mph and the trailer disappears behind me. What a marvelous feeling. Now I know what a truly dialed in trailer feels like. Wow!

Driving the truck without the trailer again and I am blown away with the ride. When you hit a small pothole with the front you get a jerk. The same pothole on the rear is smoothed out and even the sound is deadened. Sulastic also makes a shock for the front leaves. I may be doing that soon!

Overall, I am impressed with the outcome. This has worked out better than I could have imagined. Well worth the upgrade. I would have no hesitation in recommending this for all 3/4 ton trucks out there. And, adding the Sulastic shock to a 1 ton truck.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #72
33 foot Spartan Royal Man

Currently Looking...
Guelph , ontario
I suppose related to the Silastic etc.. Has anybody tried these?
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...71-652-00.html
I would hope for less bouncing around in the trailer.. Never fails that something goes moving or falling..
Cheers,
Rick
Spartan Rick is offline   Reply With Quote