Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Passed my towing performance test

I am very excited with the results of hooking up and pulling my airstream. I read all the postings in this forum on weight distribution hitches, and other areas of towing. I bought my hitch off of ebay and installed it last night. This is all new to me so I had a good friend come over (he was raised with trailers) and help me level and set the hitch correctly. He showed me first then took it apart and had me put it back together. He corrected me and stressed safety. I put the seven way plug on my truck hooked up the trailer and did a trial run around our town. It pulled nicely and did not rock. I took it to the rest area and learned how to dump my black water tank and then I pulled it home and parked it. That was a big accomplishment for me.

Next I will start to drop the belly pan to look at some rot in the bathroom. This has been very fun so far and I hope this excitement continues. My goal is to ready for camping Spring Break. I feel I am ahead of schedule.

I also fixed the electrical last night. I thought the univolt was broken so I got down and pulled wires apart and connected them backed together. When I plugged the trailer into an electical socket it worked. The Univolt made a low hum and lights went on in the trailer.

SIU Bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
SIU---Congratulations on some important milestones. It's smart to have an experienced hand as a coach and mentor, especiallly one who focuses on the safetly aspects too.

Good luck on your goal to be camping come spring. Post us some pictures as you progress along.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Congratulations

Cogratulations on your trial run. It's like ridig a bike: once you get the hang of it, you'll never forget.

You'll stay excited about the Airstream. Project completions and the next trip to plan. Why wait til Spring, go "camping" in your driveway.

______Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote