Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Parking in the Dark

I am going to be late getting to the campground this evening and as it is getting dark early it looks like backing up into our site in the dark...never any fun. The truck has auto-diming rear view mirrors so it makes things difficult along with the dash lights etc. Tried one time to have my wife hold a flashlight..but still no good. So last night I had an idea. I carry a power pack for battery jumps and it has a built in ac outlet. My plan is to use that along with a LED rope light. Lay the rope light out on the ground in a line next to where I where I want to be and just follow the lights in...sort of like a runway. Will try tonight and let you know how it works out.
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The rope light is a great idea, I have used garden lights to mark a runway but I was worried about backing over them.

One thing I do like about parking in the dark is that there are fewer campers out to watch me and I can stop and get out of the truck and check my positioning several times without worrying too much about blocking traffic.

In my truck I can turn on the cargo light to create an additional back up light, and the rear window rolls down so I don't have to look through tinted glass.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Have had that happen, arriving around midnight, and rather than wake up the neighbors with lights and banging, just parked it as level as possible and gone to bed leaving it hitiched. Next morning wake up and see the layout of the site and then reposition and set up.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I now know what to do with the 6-pack of undercounter LED lights that my wife bought at Costco. Too dim for their intended use, but perfect for night parking.

Lay them on the ground and hit the remote...for the few minutes it takes to park, the batteries should last forever. Another plus, you have strategically placed 'flashlights' within arms reach for all the other site tasks
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've had to park a couple of times in the night, curiously in NY State Parks on both occasions. Fortunately for me I have an excellent spotter in Mrs Toad and, with the aid of a walkie-talkie and a Maglite I've just backed in blind on her instructions. At Glimmerglass in August, we even had an audience, but I didn't realise until the following day when my neighbour commented on the smooth parking job.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
I am going to be late getting to the campground this evening and as it is getting dark early it looks like backing up into our site in the dark...never any fun. The truck has auto-diming rear view mirrors so it makes things difficult along with the dash lights etc. Tried one time to have my wife hold a flashlight..but still no good. So last night I had an idea. I carry a power pack for battery jumps and it has a built in ac outlet. My plan is to use that along with a LED rope light. Lay the rope light out on the ground in a line next to where I where I want to be and just follow the lights in...sort of like a runway. Will try tonight and let you know how it works out.
Great idea. The worst is to back up when you are solo. Nobody ever seems to offer to help.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If anyone has this problem in an emergency situation, and does not have rope lights to guide them in, a Mag light flashlight, set at it's most narrow beam and laid on the ground facing rear will simulate a light path to follow. I have done it several times in situations where I got in late to a site.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
If tv has power adj. mirrors do as truck drivers do, simply rotate mirror glass to help see where backing up to spot. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote