Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I would apply my trailer brakes manually to take out the sway, but if sudden and extremes, locking up the trailer while accelerating might work, just slowly release the brakes on the trailer or one could have a jack knifed trailer if you go from full locked to unlocked on your Airstream...

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
For us it came down to the fact that I was a "Tower" primarily. We tried the MH route and never became completely comfy with driving the bus and listening to all the squeaks and rattles associated with loose items etc inside.

As for a hitch selection; you'll find ample discussion on this forum about everything from simple weight distribution hitches to anti-sway and the advanced and ultimate Hensley Arrow which prevents all manners of towing catastrophes.

Good luck, get out there and most of all, be safe and have fun!

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Airstreams are OK, but if I had a class-A motorhome, I'd get to find opportunities in casual conversations with trailer owners to refer to it as my "coach", which would allow me to feel superior....
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Aptos , California
The reason that you lock the trailer brakes in a severe fishtail is to make the trailer drag in a straight line rather than push the tow vehicle in different directions with the changes in angle of the trailer. If the trailer wheels are locked the trailer will drag straight even of it is at a strange angle. They teach you to do this in race cars also so that your car travels in a straight line during a spin out so the other cars can tell which way you are going and don't collect a bunch of other cars from the random direction changes.
farmerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I had to make the MH/trailer decision about 15 years ago and it was pretty simple then, and after the fact I have never looked back.

1. If we bought a mh we would only use it a few times a year and the rest of the time it would just sit. If we bought a tv/trailer we would also use the trailer just a few times a year, but we would use the van (tv) quite a bit, especially with 5 kids.

2. The van was pretty well engineered with minimal maintenance and trailers are really pretty simple. The mh not so well engineered and thought out.

3. MH fuel economy about 7-8 mpg. Van/trailer fuel economy about 10 mpg.

4. My brother had a big mh and it was a real pita to drive. The van/trailer not so bad, though the van was real under powered, especially compared to my 08 Tundra.

Now 15 years later, I have replaced the tv with an 08 Tundra and I still have the Airstream which is not very old by Airstream standards. I can't imagine still having and using a 20-25 year old MH with all the maintenance head aches. I definately made the right decision 15 years ago.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote