Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
PA state roads limited to 8 ft wide

Just looked at a Truckers guide to Pa. map, and it states trucks and trailers limited to 8 ft wide on state roads. Would this apply to tt's? 8'6" on interstates.
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Interstates are Federal roads, not state.

But my first instinct would be to say yeah, it would apply to travel trailers when on State highways.
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Guess I broke the law a few times then
alozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchance View Post
Just looked at a Truckers guide to Pa. map, and it states trucks and trailers limited to 8 ft wide on state roads. Would this apply to tt's? 8'6" on interstates.
According to this excerpt, it may be:
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/d...ruckAccess.htm
Old 11-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This towingworld page is referenced quite often. There are still a few states that say 8' but Penna says 8'6". I'm not sure but the reciprocity may allow 8'6" trailers from other states to tow in 8' states. I'd really doubt RV dealerships in the listed 8' states feel restricted by this -- AL, AZ, GA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NM, TN, WV.

I've trailered in IL, IN, KY & MI and I've never heard of the 8'0" width being enforced. Something about this whole idea is laughable... or archaic at best. Make sure you have good trailer mirrors. Some winding roads are restricted to length or no-trailers at all but they usually are well posted.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile fairchance is confusing us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchance View Post
20 and 11 driving laws in the state of PA. ' PENNSYLVANIA: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length not specified; maximum length of two-vehicle combination 60 ft. Riding allowed in fifth-wheel trailers with electronic communications. Overnight parking in rest areas is not allowed. RVs are not allowed in carpool lane.
RV Safety Requirements: All RVs or motor vehicles towing an RV: flares or reflective signs and fire extinguisher. All trailers: brakes and breakaway system if the gross trailer weight with load exceeds 40 percent of the towing vehicle’s gross weight with load; safety chains and lighting equipment (brakes, turn signals, reflectors).State Driving Laws: Headlights must be on in inclement weather. Right turn on red allowed, unless posted otherwise.
More Information: Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Bureau of Highway Safety & Traffic Engineering, 55 Walnut St., Forum Pl., P.O. Box 2047, Harrisburg PA 17105-2047
Emergency number: 911 '...

Now, 102", actually calculates out to 8.5'... So, like you say, if'n you got big ears and are traveling with the windows down, they are giving you an .1 LW. ( lee way ).

So, I have a question for you! Is the state of PA. trying to force some sort of an redesign of ( " tt's " )????

I think Not!.. They would lose their shirts too!
With Love
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Thanks. Looks like different rules for RV's than commercial vehicles in Pa.
Dave
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote