Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #21
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnssanders
Hi, congrat's on your new bambi!! How exciting. My wife and I bought our first AS several years back, it is a 22' safari. We purchsed the equalizer hitch with 800 lb. bars and we also purchased the friction sway bar. The combination of the two is remarkable. Our tow vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 litter. Don't laugh, that Jeep does great---in the mid west that is. I pulled it down into Arkansas and into the boston "mountains" and while it labored mightily, the 4.0 did its job. I found that it has to work very hard though even on the interstate. We only get 10 mpg when towing, so you can imagine how hard the engine is haveing to work. Not to mention the transmition. I had to put an external cooler on, and even then we can't run the AC in the summer days (mornings and evenings ok). Another problem is that you can be in trouble if you have to get evasive because of your lack of weight. We had a VERY near miss where we crested a hill on a single lane hy. without a shoulder and the traffic was at a stop. I slammed on the breaks, and even though I had my breaks set a little stiff because of the light tow vehicle, we didnt stop in time. At the last minute I swerved left heading for a field and as I went I saw that there was no oncoming traffic . I stayed in the oncoming traffic lane slowing down and went around the problem area with my horn held on and went up about 1/2 mile where the shoulder returned and pulled off to go change my pants . While sitting there thanking God for his protection, my friends who were following us in their van pulled up bringing us the hubcap that flew off as we swerved to miss the back of the car in front of us. They couldnt believe that the AS didnt roll. They said we went onto 1 wheel. The lady we almost hit came up to us and told us that she knew when she went over the hill that there was no way I was going to beable to stop in time. She was waiting for the impact. She happened to hear a song on our radio while talking to us and said she had been listening to the same station. It happened to be on a christian station. We thought that was cool. Someone was definately watching out for us!!! ! The point to me sharing this is to let you be aware of the hazards. You dont outweigh your tow vehicle so when it comes to it you have more potential for problems. Let alone the HARD wear on your vehicle.(suspension, engine, tranni, and breaks.) Also, with that hard of work expect to start to see some fluid leaks after several longer trips. I highly recomend the equalizer and friction sway bar. The lighter vehicle coupled with the smaller wheel base make the sway bar a must! We now pull with a Silverado 1/2 ton and love the upgrade. My wife still drives the jeep, but I have some oil lines to replace . We feel that the only reason the AS didnt roll was because of the equalizer and sway bar combo. It kept the trailor in control and I hardly knew it was there during the evasive driving. These AS trailors are amazing!! Congrats again and happy camping. Chris
Can you post a picture of this setup? I would be interested in seeing it.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having towed a Bambi, I can tell you first hand that the dual cam will work great. Though the coach is fairly small for the dual cam, you could use friction sway control and be fine if you didn't want to spend the additional $$ for the dual cam system.

If you go Reese, make sure to get the bars that will accept the dual cam if you decide to either get a larger coach at some point or add the dual cam later if you go with friction sway control.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
thanks for the info. Charlie great of you to chime in with experience on all 3 products.

Interesting read here on the differences between the dual cam (Reese) system and the equalizer. Definitely some good reading for the insomniac: http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...pging/1/page/1

brad.
I just bought (and am picking up in 4 weeks) a 19' 2004 Bambi Safari LS. I'll be towing it home from Florida to Michigan. I have a Yukon Denali (lots of hp, so no problem there). After reading all of the banter back and forth for weeks now, I've settled on an Equal-I-zer. Yeah, it's alot of dough, but I'm totally convinced it's worth the peace of mind and I've heard enough positive feedback that I'm SURE it's the right one- especially for the Bambi. If you can afford it, I'll bet that coupled with your TV, you'll be in GREAT shape as well.
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #24
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
BradK

I tow a 25 ft Safari LS with my 05 Dodge Dakota Quadcab. No problem!
Yea, you can't go 80 mph up the hill but I do go 40 up a 6% grade.
Some times I have to pull back cause im going too fast.

So, with a 19 CCs bambi. No problemo !

Take care and enjoy. Don't overload youself with all these opionions.

Remember.....eveyone has one !

R/
Safari-Rick
05 AS 25 Safari

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
... 270HP should be enough and I don't need to do 75mph everywhere.
brad.
probably shouldn't do 75mph ANYwhere, with a trailer in tow.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
probably shouldn't do 75mph ANYwhere, with a trailer in tow.
thanks for the tip.

brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
thanks for the tip.

brad.
I know, I sound like a little-old-lady, but seriously...you couldn't do much more to put yourself in a more dangerous position than drive at that speed. that speed is like putting a big magnifying glass to all the potential ills that could befall one when trailering. the forces at work against you are magnified exponentially.

Consider that you are talking about towing with a lighter weight tow vehicle, with lighter-weight brakes. yeah, sure, the trailer has brakes. but the brake controller is a very weak link in the chain. in "all my years of trailering"...(all 3 of them ), I've already on my second one. got one season of half-a-dozen short trips out of it, then it just ceased functioning. oh, sure, I got it replaced for free....what good would that have done me @ 75mph in an emergency? bupkiss....But I don't go 75, and I'm not towing with a lighter weight truck, either.

consider that trailer tires are rated for a maximum speed of 65mph. they aren't up to going 75...you're flirting with a blow-out by going that fast. And you have a single axle trailer. you don't want a blowout on any trailer...but even less so on a single axle. when that thing starts rolling over at 75mph, it'll rip your smaller tow vehicle off the road like a toy, regardless of the wd hitch you buy. they aren't designed to counter barrel rolls.

its not easy to controll all the other factors (small truck/single axle, etc), but it is easy to mitigate the risk by slowing down.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
let me clarify then...

Chuck,

I do appreciate the PSA but let me clarify my previous statement and completely arbitrary number of 75mph, as it appears that you've taken me out of context.

I don't have any plans of going anywhere near that speed (75mph). The fastest you can go (legally) in this Province is 110kph or approx 65 and I doubt I'll even hit that number. The purpose of my post was not to find out the top speed I can travel, I'm only interested in getting to my destination safely and comfortably with my trailer/TV/hitch combination, as I stated in my first post.

thanks,
brad.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Chuck,

I do appreciate the PSA but let me clarify my previous statement and completely arbitrary number of 75mph, as it appears that you've taken me out of context.

I don't have any plans of going anywhere near that speed (75mph). The fastest you can go (legally) in this Province is 110kph or approx 65 and I doubt I'll even hit that number. The purpose of my post was not to find out the top speed I can travel, I'm only interested in getting to my destination safely and comfortably with my trailer/TV/hitch combination, as I stated in my first post.

thanks,
brad.
Ok. I thought you were mocking me. as a relative "newbie" to the trailering pastime, I just wanted to make sure you understand that I'm not just being an old fart.

The way so many people drive...especially in trucks...there aren't many places here where its legal to go that fast, either, but that doesn't stop too many. I'm perpetually amazed at the speed at which people pass me on the highway, in a blinding snowstorm, when I'm in a big, heavy truck w/ the hubs locked, and I can actually *feel* how tenuous my grip is on the road. Nobody has a better grip on the pavement than I do...yet they pass me like I'm standing still. then a few miles up the road, they're upside down in a ditch going

anyway...I rant....
Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #30
_

. , .
hi bradk and others.....

so far lots of good info in this thread without much wild rantin'...

i like the hensley....a lot. somebody in an earlier post suggested if one had a new 34 and a new truck...they might have different views on hitch price/safety and value......
well that's me.

the one error in this thread is on haha weight......5x heavier? no...

the hensley is heavier but just check the shipping wts quoted by the makers...it's only 100lbs or so more.

as for cost...it always makes me smile to hear airstream owners....
debating a "cost" issue........but it is probably easier to sell a used hensley that the trailer or t.v.!!! and at less depreciation....still i realize 3k is $$$...used ones can be found, but are rare to come by...

bradk...your pathfinder has a short w/base...and the 19 bambi only has 1 axle/2 tires....sure the hensley would be a big addition....and as porky pig says......"expensive sure, and i'm worth it" ......upgrading to disc brakes on the trailer is one way to improve panic stops and so on...but costs as much as the haha....

here is a good thread to review...imo

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tch-19750.html

i like the haha alot ......only wish it wasn't orange....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
what about tounge weight though?

2Air,

thanks for the link, interesting read on the Hensley. The tongue weight on my trailer is 510 (w/o options) and the hitch rating on my truck is 600. If I add another 100lbs in a hensley, do I get into an overgross situation and further reduce my load capacity? Or have I missed something.

b.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #32
_

. , .
hi bradk

does the pathfinder allow for w/d hitches....and if so what is the hitch wt limit then? this should be in the owner's manual or printed on the receiver...

typically on trucks with class 4/5 recievers the limits are 500lbs without w/d and 1250lbs with w/d....

now if the pathfinder falls into the unibody/modified frame grouping (like the ridgeline and touareg) your reciever limit may be 600 lbs regardless....

cheers
2air'

i'll post more after you check on this question....w/d ok or not and what limits with w/d?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
info:

Maximum tongue loads with a weight distribution hitch is: 600lbs.

Maximum towing capacity: 6000

Gross Combined weight rating: 11,133 lbs.

thanks!
b.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #34
_

. , .
ok bradk

you asked for opinions to "muddy the waters"....here are some thoughts..

the gcwr is 11000, the nissan cw 4800 and payload 1100....so put 2 people, fuel and a toothpick inside the nissan (about 5-600lbs) and you only have 5-600 lbs left over for the trailer wt ON the nissan (from the tongue into the receiver)...does that make sense?

the 19 bambi lists the tongue at 510 lbs but the max trailer wt loaded is around 4500?....you will need to be careful to keep the trailer under this limit....given your nissan is a v6 and will be working really hard anyway...

so when the trailer arrives....load it such that the tongue wt isn't 510 lbs but closer to 450 lbs....10% of the trailer max.....and the figure most agree is ideal for towing....or skip ahead to my last comment.....

i know we all talk about the tongue wt at 10-15% for best handling...but where is the proof for these limits....and what about 9% or 16%....

you're canadian right? according to the winter 'airstream life' article on european towing...
people routinely and safely tow with tongue loads of 5%.....so for your trailer that would be about 250lbs....and i'm not suggesting you do that just offering the info..

now for the hensley.......or w/d antisway hitch really....when attached to the trailer initally and when not connected to the t.v. the hitch does at tongue wt....but who cares...the trailer isn't moving or hooked up right?

once connected to the t.v. and once the w/d bars are adjusted...the hitch itself insn't tongue wt anymore....it is t.v. receiver weight....you'll have to think about this....and read some and looks at some fully hooked up rigs to get it....but once the 2 are connected and the spring bars adjusted....the hitch itself is carried on the t.v. not the tongue...

so regardless what hitch you select...when you add it's weight to the trailer tongue weight (450--510 lbs) you will be over the nissans 600lb limits....

people thing w/d systems reduce tongue wt., so using a w/d hitch somehow magically allows going over the 600lb limit....THEY DON'T DO THAT...

you are gonna need a bigger t.v. bro..........no way around it really....

regardless of the w/d hitch selected....

sorry but it sure seems so.....

cheers
2air'
Old 02-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
what a murky mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
you are gonna need a bigger t.v. bro..........no way around it really....
You weren't kidding on muddying the waters, wow.

Everyone I've talked to, dealers, hitch reps, etc, have said I'm comfortably within my limits and I've done the math up and down. I follow your math fine but man I hope your wrong.

EDIT: The manual reads somewhat like stereo instructions. It appears that the tongue weight is 600 without a WD hitch. It goes up over 10000 with a W/D hitch or so it appears. They don't specifically list what my tongue weight rating is with my vehicle but have a paragraph on WD hitches which states:

Weight distribution hitch
This type of hitch is also called a “load-leveling” or
“equalizing” hitch. A set of bars attach to the ball
mount and to the trailer to distribute the tongue
weight (hitch weight) of your trailer. Many vehicles
can’t carry the full tongue weight of a given
trailer, and need some of the tongue weight
transferred through the frame and pushing down
on the front wheels. This gives stability to the tow
vehicle.
Another reason to have a weight distributing ball
mount is to comply with the rating on your receiver.
Most receivers have a weight carrying
rating of 5,000 lbs. gross weight, 500 lbs. tongue
weight and a weight distribution rating of 10,000 lbs. gross weight, 1,000 lbs. tongue weight. This
means that without using a weight distributing
ballmount, the receiver is only designed to carry
5,000 lbs.

So, if I'm 600 without a W/D hitch, I should be fine with one by my math.

b.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #36
_

. , .
well bradk

ideally you could hook up a loaded 19 and visit a scale...get all the numbers.....know in advance.

unless the local dealer has one....you'll have to wait till your beauty arrives....or borrow one from a forum member...

however, you could take the nissan to a scale now and get the number on it...loaded and gased up and with the hitch equipment stuck in the receiver....that would be a start and is quick, easy and only about 8$ us...
those curb weights are to be trusted....

the 6000 lb tow rating is misleading because it assume the nissan is empty....and goes down as the suv is loaded....

your true numbers to watch are the reciever max and the gcwr...

and you are gonna be very close to both. certainly more than the 80% most safe guide routinely suggest.

if you have 2 months to wait for the trailer....man that's a lot of time for hand wringin'

one of your first 'trips' should be to a certified scale.....

best o'luck and keep us posted.

2air'

i see your edit/update....that paragraph is what everyone typically finds (except the honda, vw, porsche)....

it goes up to 10,000 or 1,000? more likely the latter.

and still doesn't give you the actual receiver # with the w/d system....that will be printed ON the reciever attached to your nissan....do you even have a receiver yet?...the hole on the back end?

for example my ford sduty f-250 diesel truck is 500/5000 without....1250/12500 with....

this info is ON the receiver bolted to the back/under the nissan...go look.

cheers
2air'
Old 02-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
This is hidden in the manual as well under the towing specification chart. The asterisk applies to the towing capacity of 6000 lbs....

*1: The towing capacity values are calculated
assuming a base vehicle with driver and any
options required to achieve the rating.

I would have to assume that means the hitch ball, passenger, fuel, etc..

EDIT: 2Air' - The vehicle comes standard with a hitch receiver and that paragraph is cut and pasted directly from the nissan pathfinder owners manual: http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-...Pathfinder.pdf

b.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #38
_

. , .
bradk
i looked over the online pathfinder manual...great it's so accessible...

the factory supplied receiver....should have a fmvss certification label....glue to the receiver...which will decribe load with/without w/d system....your last post suggests it 'goes up over 10,000? is that correct?

by question is ....if without w/d it is 600/6000......what are the 2 figures with w/d....this wasn't in the online pdf manual....just says it's printed on the vehicle...

cheers
2air'
Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
there is a sticker there...

but only has the info on maximum trailer weight and tongue weight of 600lbs. Nothing to indicate the load capable with a W/D hitch. The 10,000 statement was listed in the manual. I beleive the hitch can tow 10,000 but the vehicle is limited to 6000 regardless of hitch capacity.

The maximum tongue load appears to be 600 with a W/D as (10-15% of trailer load not in excess of 600lbs).

So, I'm very very close to the limits on the tongue weight it appears. We'll have to see how this all turns out. I appreciate the continued input.

b.