Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I tell my wife/helper if she can't see my mirror, I can't see her. Simple as that. Sal.

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
I tell my wife/helper if she can't see my mirror, I can't see her. Simple as that. Sal.
Is there an echco on this page?

Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Could be, but there are lots of lessons in life that bear repeating.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Is there an echco on this page?

Neil
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Could be, but there are lots of lessons in life that bear repeating.

Lynn

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Look at this video that Sean made regarding backing. He really does a great job explaining the technique.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
It really is only about the practice, towing and backing up. I'd never towed a thing before but it didn't take too long to master and, the more you do it the better you get.

People will give you all manner of advice and useful tips and a lot of it is good, but try things out and see what works for you. The old "put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel" backing up trick that many swear by just left me in knots; I resorted to looking behind me to see where trailer was going, which was something that my feeble mind could cope with.

Breaking camp is a personal thing and in time you'll refine not only what you take (what's actually going to be used and not things you image that you'll need - ask me how I know!), but how you unpack and repack stuff. I swear it took us four hours to break camp the first time we went out, now we can do it in an hour (half an hour if we chain the kids and the dog to a nearby tree).

We've had some howlers, like arriving at a campground at midnight and parking so close to a tree that it took some real daredevil driving to get back out again after our stay - the rock filled ditch took some avoiding and we upset the Rangers by leaving the wrong way up a one way road (we ended up facing the wrong way, what else could we do?). We've also had some successes, like backing into a space in one fluid movement, looking over my right shoulder, fending off a helpful fellow camper at the drivers door who wouldn't stop yakking, listening to directions from Mrs T over the radio and avoiding the dog after the kids had let the cursed thing loose!

You'll get there and you'll have some fun finding out what you're supposed to be doing. One day you too will be able to avoid that rock-strewn ditch!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Look at this video that Sean made regarding backing. He really does a great job explaining the technique.

A lot of it is just getting a good feel for it and more importantly ...be patient and take the time you need. It is easy to get frustrated and sour the start of your adventure.
I am usually backing in by myself... I use the goal method (get out and look). Often fellow rv'ers are ki.d enough to spot me when they see me backing solo (always a generous bunch). My back in and set up time is getti.g quicker and quicker each time.
I like that idea! I am definitely trying it next time I park. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

I like that idea! I am definitely trying it next time I park. Thanks!
I have used this technique to get my big 34 in some very interesting spots! I am about 56' nose to tail when hooked up!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Last week I did my first back in with my wife's Overlander. I had to back it into a RV garage that did not have a straight approach. My 20 years of backing horse trailers may have come in handy, butt backing this combo, 29 foot Airstream and Ford Expedition, was the easiest park job I have ever done. In retrospect, I did exactly what was shown in the above video!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
There have been a lot of great tidbits here. We also use signals. But, they are ARM signals. The movements are large so that I can see my wife's signals clearly. The arm on the side to which she wants me to move rotates from her knee to over her head, if she wants me to go straight then both arms make the wave. Finally, she crosses both arms in front of her when she wants me to stop. Of course, this mandates that she must be in view of the mirror.
I also believe in taking my time, and getting out and scouting the area.

On our return from Alaska last year, we stopped in Coopers Town, NY. We arrived late and one mile from the state park encountered a Jersey Barrier with a sign that stated "road closed 3 miles ahead". We proceeded to the park and spent a relaxing night. The next morning, I checked the map and saw that it would be shorter towards our destination to continue on the road we had come in on the previous night. I forgot about the road closed sign. The road was a narrow country road, could not even be called a two lane blacktop. Reaching the road block, we had no option but to back down two miles as there were no intersections or driveways suitable for backing into and turning around. What worked in this situation was for my wife to walk about 20 feet behind the AS and act as a 'target' toward which I directed the trailer.

Is there a Guinness Book record for backing up for the longest distance? Maybe I should apply.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Denver , Colorado
Great little video about "The Scoop" - I've forwarded to my wife and back-up "coach" who still is terrified of backing up herself. All the tips here about your backup coach needing to communicate with you, in words, and to be in sight of the driver - it's all great stuff. We had some "dicey" communication issues when first learning to back into our at-home parking spot as well as some interesting camping spots.

When we visited the Gunflint Pines campground up in Minnesota two weeks ago (wonderful place, by the way), owner Bob said his teenage son mastered backup skills at the age of 12 with his toy trucks and trailers. When it came time to back up a real trailer at 14 he had the concepts down pat from his toy trucks. His son has taken the wheel for many campers who were stymied trying to back down to the boat ramp on Gunflint Lake.

So --- does anybody out there know where I can find toy trucks and trailers that steer? I'd get a set for my wife to learn with.

Thanks.
AIR #35886
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another practice setup is a riding mower and a small trailer. That's how I learned.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Airstream View Post
I was so excited about the reality of an AS and then it hit us like a rock on the windshield: driving, backing up, parking (leveling, etc.) would be an everyday reality and I wanted to ask the forum what the learning curve is for this "reality" and how time intensive the process of parking and setting up REALLY is ...
When people totally unfamiliar with trailers show up here, I suggest e renting an inexpensive moving trailer from U-haul and driving around with it, and backing, to get some idea what's to come.

There are some people who never figure it out, probably around 10%, and they end up selling their trailer and either leaving RVing entirely or getting a class C.

Quote:
Also, how do you deal with difficult parking situations, do you typically "scout" lots before you pull in, or ???
It would be rare indeed that I would be unable to park in a developed campground intended for use by RVs. So, I don't scout, unless I believe there's likely to be something dodgy about the site. This might happen if it's a county campground, or a forest road, or private property.

On our most recent trip, we arrived fairly late at night and I backed into a tight-fitting site with obstacles with minimal fuss and with only parking lights (for courtesy) while a group of people from the next campsite watched. They came over afterwards and offered us jello shots as a peace offering because they felt guilty having figured that I would provide them with much more entertainment than I actually did. I have also had people break out into applause after I park.

So this isn't my cross to bear.

I do realize, though, that some people have a hell of a time with it.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77

Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote