Old 12-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Nice set up carmen214 So it has all the power you want loaded up and rolling down the road with the AS in tow?

I am scheduled to pic up a NV3500 passenger van Tuesday. My one BIG reservation, as I look out at snow and sloppy conditions here in Oregon is not being awd of 4 x4. I don't want to spend $12000. to put in by outfit in Salt Lake City.

Tony
For those of you looking for a high capacity van and 4wd as a TV and have not yet committed to the Nissan :-), I just confirmed that Sprinters are now available in 4wd. We've been towing with our 2wd and find it just adequate in power to tie our 28' International at 6980 fully loaded, with literally tons of payload to spare. The 3 liter diesel makes good torque for get up and go, but struggles on super steep grades with hp low relative to a gasoline engine. Towing mpg at 60 has been 14-14.5, and drops quickly to 11-12mpg at 75-80 mph. Non towing mpg with our five speed (newer models have six for even better mpg) averages 19, with occasional highway tanks over 20 on the rare occasions that we cruise around 60. All this in the 3500 one ton that Sprinter requires to tow over 5000 lbs and up to 7500.

My wife feels that we actually get better handling with the new rig than we used to get with our Suburban 2500.

For those who are already proud new Nissan owners, enjoy your rigs!!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Wanted to let folks know I did pick up a 2015 Silver NV3500 SL Passenger van (will look good with the Tradewind) Yesterday in a mad dog run up to and back from Portland.

Return trip with NV3500 was about 250 miles. First 20 miles or so in Traffic. Man living in the country not used of it. Growing up in the Boston area and learning to drive in it. Not a problem. One difference there was not an aggressive edge to the Portland traffic, at least yesterday at 3:30

Very first impression Sharp looking, second impression from the outside wow this is big. I say that and I have driven a GM van for the last 12 years.

This thing drives nice, real nice for its size. Has plenty of power to get itself around. ( not trailering yet). I did not find it a stiff ride but the rig I just sold was a 1996 F250 Power stroke 7.3 diesel that my wife called S and L Stinky and Loud. I Loved that truck with only 95000 miles, one of the best around. We settled on called it Snelly. (for Nelly and smelly)

Anyway I will update and upload a pic or two in a bit. As of now, expectations high for the Nissan NV3500 SL Passenger van

Tony

Old 04-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
As I said above the Nissan Nv3500 SL Passenger Van drives nice on the open road I donít mind a ride that is a little stiff. In town it is a van but does a good job. Parking it is a little bit of a challenge but I am very pleased with it. I love the color, silver, with the dark windows. I think it would look great with a base camp especially if one went for the aftermarket but Nissan approved 4 x4. At close to $12000 upgrade, I passed.

In mixed driving, mostly major country roads and some interstate at 75, not towing I am getting a very consistent 14.5 miles per gallon.

As I said, I have owned and drove a Chevy Express for 14 years, still have it, and like it for what it is. The NV 3500 is a whole other vehicle. The level of comfort is so much higher. It is coach to first class. Nice wide seats. I will say, of course, the NV is a higher model than my Express Cargo. The difference goes beyond that. I went with all the options and love it.

A couple nit picky things, the NV doesnít have a switch to lock all the doors from the back, also canít turn on and off the lights in back from the cab small things but I thought I would mention it. I have not towed with it yet but it will haul a load.

I went with the passenger van to get a few more goodies like front sensors, extra set of speakers, and others I canít think of, but mostly I liked the looks of the windows.

I had to give up all the tie offs and storage options of the cargo but on balance no regrets. I run it without the seats in back.

Finally, I feel very safe driving it and the Silver with the black windows and chrome is sharp

Tony
Old 04-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
We just bought our NV3500 HD Passenger. We went with the SL because it came with all the bells and whistles installed. Which also included the expanding tow mirrors.

We are still putting the break-in miles of 500 per Nissan's recommendation before we start towing the AS.

We love the space and payload.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Let us know how it tows that 31 footer. Should be great!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
I am a little late to this topic but we have been using a Nissan 3500 HD high top for about two & half years now, first with a 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 22' & now a recently purchased Airstream Sport 22". First let me say this beast is a joy to drive/ride in whether towing or on solo trips. We purchased a leftover 2013 new. Then I customized the walls/ceiling , added twin beds, over head/floor cabinets, custom windows (all around) , a sub floor & one compact captains chair. This added a total weight of about 700 pounds to bring the van with a full 28 gallons of gas with out driver/passenger to around 6,900 pounds. Even with the additional payload from our customization plus driver/passenger with cargo & our two cats this has pulled both trailers extremely well. With its heavy duty factory installed towing package & wide body/high profile roof basically makes sway/wind a non issue when towing. With its large V-8 engine it pulls effortlessly with power to spare. I would highly recommend it as a tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01860.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	261033  
Old 09-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #35
planning for full time...

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Resurrecting an "older" thread as I just looked at an NV as a possible new tow vehicle the other day.

One big concern for me is lack of 4wd. Mind you it's not a big enough concern to cough up $11,500 for the conversion.

Has anyone experienced conditions that one might think they'd need 4wd for but didn't? I have a pickup with 4wd now and do use it from time to time.

Does the NV at least have the ability to lock the rear differential?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
JCole thanks for posting on the other thread also. When looking at your vehicle profiles the roofs are pretty even which should cut down the drag / wind factor. It's looks great together.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Since we bought our NV, we took it to South Dakota and Iowa for a 5 week trip in May and June. We're quite pleased with its performance. Our 31' trailer doesn't bother it a bit, but the AS is an older model whose unloaded weight is around 5,000 and a loaded weight of 7,000. Not going to lie and say we didn't notice the wind while traveling, however we're talking Great Plains where you can experience gusts between 40-60 miles on a regular basis. The high winds were the one factor that caused our gas mileage to suffer a bit.

We didn't try to go anywhere where 4x4 was necessary. Did drive on dirt roads and plenty with horrible pavement. Also got rained on a lot. RWD rules apply on wet roads. The NV does sit higher off the ground so it might take a bit to end up high-centered. Not a light-weight though. Mud more than a foot deep might be a problem. Don't know about the rear differential. The NV is Nissan's foray into the commercial market, both for passenger and cargo. If you go to a dealership to look at them, you will most likely be hooked up with their fleet salespeople. If they really know the specs, they should be able to answer your questions.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #38

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
JCole thanks for posting on the other thread also. When looking at your vehicle profiles the roofs are pretty even which should cut down the drag / wind factor. It's looks great together.
Looks great to me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pages from 2016-Nissan-NV-Passenger-Brochure.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	271880  
Old 09-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Scott I would agree, looks great. See it's growing on me already and it would certainly be considered. 😏

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #40

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Scott I would agree, looks great. See it's growing on me already and it would certainly be considered. 😏
Well, I won't be in the market until spring, so if you do get one before please be sure to update the thread!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Thx. we won't be in the market for several springs but still a worthy and good discussion.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
An NV in South Dakota

Since we've been singing the praises of our new NV, figured we better show some proof that we did actually travel with it. The attached photo was taken at Ft. Randall Dam on Lake Francis Case in SD.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Campsite.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	272076