Old 11-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
Tony S

Leaf springs are associated with 'live axles' such as in the NV3500, and even when those springs are progressive as in the Titan and NV3500, they are definitely a stiffer ride. Independent rear suspensions would rarely be found on 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles; they are more suited to light trucks, SUVs and passenger cars these days. My Firestone air bags add stiffness in the rear, BUT do not increase the Armada's weight ratings. The air bags and the LT tires do add significantly to the handling of the Armada under load, though.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I know that stretch of I-5 well enough and that is a good test hill for sure. Not the biggest or longest in the west but it will do for test.

It is really shaping up that the NV3500 is a good way to go. I was worried about it being a mushy ride. Sound like stock can be improved with tire upgrades, shocks upgrades and perhaps airbags if all else doesn't get the job done.

I attached my first tow vehicle A Chevy Express 1500 AWD 5.3L. It was not quite enough. Came in a couple hundred pounds heavy. I do things by the numbers so I went out and bought the 1996 f250 Powerstroke with 83,000 on it. It was in great shape and then I went through it added gauges, aux fuel filter, shocks, Michelins, on and on. Then sold it, crazy huh. Bought it right and broke even when I sold it. Minus all the efforts. Why would I sell it. Dog could not jump into bed anymore and we like her with us anyway. Also my wife called it S & L. As in stinky and loud. Beside that, I don't like plugging in block heater and all that. So it is back to a gasser. Also I want integrated towing mirrors. With that said, I do feel a tinge of regret at the PS departure.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6467.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	253016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5584.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	253017  

Old 11-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We looked at Nissan and were intrigued. We also need lots of space (for our voluminous but lightweight windsurfing gear.) after much research, we replace our Suburban 2500 with a 2013 Sprinter 3500--shortest wheelbase and shortest height (factory special order) and up fitted it nicely as a two passenger SUV. Our AS is s 28' International weighing out loaded at 6950. The Sprinter's GVW is 11,000 lbs, so we're nowhere close to payload--with all of our gear and 1190 tongue weight plus interior furniture and us, I'd guess we still have 3,000 to spare. In fact, we have to out more weight in the Equalizr than is strictly called for to get enough friction fir sway control--that's how overbuilt the Sprinter's rear end is.

Although the diesel is small and hp is low, it handles great and tows fine as long as we don't want to rocket uphill. At Shasta grades, we can downshift and hold about 50 mph.

If we cruise at 75, we'll only get 11 towing on the straights, but if we drop to 60, we do 14.5 towing. Without the AS, with the tall differential in the one ton, we'll do 18-19 at 75, and see the occasional 20-21 on the straights at 60-65.

We found the appointments in the Nissan to be adequate, but nothing exceptional. The Sprinter costs a bit more, but looks nice in appointments and handles like a large sports car.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #18

Knoxville , Tennessee
Hi Tony,
I tow an Eddie Bauer 25' with a low roof Nissan NV 2500 5.7 L V8. No problems, tows well and I love having the extra room in the van for my 3 dogs, bikes and golf clubs.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Coolman

Currently Looking...
Roseburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Hi Folks

I would be interested in knowing what peoples impressions are of the NV 3500 Nissan Van as a Tow vehicle especially those who own one and have been using it for towing.

I would also like to hear from people who almost bought one and decided not to buy it and why.

Of course I am looking at the NV3500 with the V8 with the low top.

I currently have a 1973 Tradewind but would wants something that would tow a 25- 27' flying cloud. I have no plans to change but I don't want to be caught with too little tow vehicle again.

I don't want a PU truck because my natural daily driver is a van.

Thanks in advance
Tony
You may want to wait until the new Titan XD arrives with the Cummins 5litre V8. Should be quite the truck for the long haul. 12000 GVW
Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
The new Titan XD has a lot of buzz that is for sure. I'm not inclined to get a model first year out although when push comes to shove I would. I haven't used my "under reno/rehab" for better than two years I doubt I can wait til July to use it.

Good to hear your NV2500 handles your 25 footer well. I suspect it is around to 6000 lbs or more dry. I have in some significant hills?

Thanks
Tony
Old 12-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Something I found out that could be a problem or at least an bit of an issue is that not all Nissan dealerships can or will service the NV1500,2500,3500. For me here in Southern Oregon I have one dealer in Medford and the next is up in the Portland area. Maybe one in Salem but I don't think so. That is at least a 4 hour drive away. Hmmm food for thought I guess.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
Did the dealers you queried which DO NOT service the NV series tell you why? I don't understand why they would have an issue. Now with the new Titan XD, I know there is a significant amount of training dealer techs must have, but other than some chassis issues, what is the deal with NVs?

Thx,

Jay
Old 12-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
jrolls

A serve guy I mentioned below ( chevy/nissan dealership) got back to me and said if they don't sell them they can still service them but are not authorized to do warranty work.

What I have read is some service departments may not be able to handle the height of the van or weight but I haven't found that article again. It sounds unlikely but I don't know

Tony
Old 12-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
DURANGO , Colorado
Nissan 3500

HI Tony,
You definitely will have the power to pull your trailer. I was looking at this same vehicle. I opted for the King Cab Titan with the same engine, because the van is not offered in 4 wheel drive. I have been on some steep dirt slopes and 2 wheel wouldn't get me up the slope.
I was told I could by a Ford 4 wheel conversion kit, but that seemed like too much work.
I hope this is helpful.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
SiverD

You can them dropped shipped from Nissan to S L Utah no charge, The 4 x4 conversion is $11,300 Plus shipping to your location or go pick up.

That was third the cost of the van. Hmmm be awesome, for a van.

Not planning on doing it.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
I purchased a high roof NV2500 a year ago with the intention of eventually buying an AS and being able to tour with a motorcycle and mountain bikes in the van along with other supplies, etc.

I recently found a used 2015 25' AS in Tampa and hauled it home last weekend and the van did great. Mileage could be better but not as bad as I thought it would be with the high roof. Going down I got 16 mpg t 70. Coming home to Nashville I got 11-12 mpg with a lot of traffic jambs on the interstate so not so bad. It pulled over Monteagle mountain (long steep grade) with no problem maintaining my speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3759.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	253373  
Old 12-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Nice set up carmen214 So it has all the power you want loaded up and rolling down the road with the AS in tow?

I am scheduled to pic up a NV3500 passenger van Tuesday. My one BIG reservation, as I look out at snow and sloppy conditions here in Oregon is not being awd of 4 x4. I don't want to spend $12000. to put in by outfit in Salt Lake City.

Tony
Old 12-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
Tony,

My experience is limited as this is my first TT. I don't have much to compare to and I won't be towing with a full load until next spring but so far I think the power will be adequate. More power is always better of course but I think this will work for me. I hope your 3500 works out for you. I think the vehicle is very robust and should do well.

Bob