Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
62 is not that huge of a good deal on a 25' international. I bought a 2014 - 27ft in 2014 for 75 with two a/c's and pretty much everything else
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
Regarding the dealer who wouldn't service if you didn't buy from them...I deal with this in the marine industry and had a similar experience with my own Toyota. The service writer actually said, "well, if you had come to me for all your service I might be more inclined to help you out on this service bulletin." If that dealer ever want's your business he'd take advantage of showing you why his service is worth buying a new unit from him. Granted, dealers take care of "their customers" first, then transients. With Toyota, I explained I had just moved to area which seemed to warm them up a bit. This might work whether you actually "just moved to area" or not. BTW: that service writer didn't last long at dealership. Parts and service is normally the cash cow, not just the original sale of equipment. Warranty work, that's another story.
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richland , Washington
Joe, we, too, live in the Pacific NW and bought a used 25' FB AS in December and then waited until April to go pick it up in Jackson Center, OH. We did not have towing experience but took another couple with us who did have knowledge and experience. We had purchased a Ford 150 Supercab the year before so we had a hitch put on, drove out in three days, and finally met our lovely "Gg" and the previous owner, who happened to be employed at the Airstream manufacturing plant. He gave us an awesome personal tour and a comprehensive tutorial (which we put on video) of the various operating systems on the AS and the next morning we took off! For ten more days we toured national parks and had a blast! I do have to say it was a little stressful prepping for this trip, trying to have everything we would need. I used lists posted on the forums and it actually was excellent...My husband did awesome in pulling the AS and even though we have the extended mirrors, it still seems like the visibility is lacking.
I also want to encourage others that the classified WANTED section works! I posted what we were looking for and within 12 hours I was contacted by the seller and after many emails, phone conversations and pictures later, we had a deal. Just what I had been looking for and we couldn't be more pleased.
My advice, Joe, is 'just do it!' After pulling "Gg" over 3000 miles, we feel like we can now go anywhere!
I do have to say that we still have MUCH to learn and I thank all of you for helping we newbies!!
youngros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I see you have gotten lots of great advice on this thread. The only thing I can do is tell you our story. We were on a long trip this spring in Arizona. We decided we needed to trade our 2014 25FC for a 2015 28FC. There were several in the country with the floor plan we wanted. One was in Portland. One was in San Francisco. One was in Texas. We seriously debated and worked the price with all three dealerships and each one got very close to the other. We told each one up front that we were inquiring at other dealerships and that we were perfectly happy and prepared to extend our trip if needed and go west or to pick up the new trailer back home in Texas. We ultimately went with the one in Texas because it had the interior package that we liked. We offered to put a down payment down,etc., but they were willing to work with us and knew it would be several weeks before we ended our trip and would be able to pick it up. I guess my point is that there are deals to be made and any reputable dealer will work with you knowing your geographic constraints.

As for towing, you will pick that up when you start doing it. Before long, you will be quite comfortable at it and wonder what all the fuss was about. My one question would be, what were you planning to use as a tow vehicle if you got one in California?

Welcome to the AS life. You will love it!!!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #45
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
All good advice..... But before you do anything, ask here for help! Have a forum member go and physically inspect! Get photos of the vin, overall condition and have them see the title or a faxcimilie of the title! No dealer will say no. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a deal that has to close today. This should be a comfortable decision, not frantic or pressured. If you do anything financial, use a name brand bank and pay for their escrow service even if it means opening an account!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would agree that not having towed isn't a big deal - you just have to be cautious and conservative as you learn the ropes. The only way to learn it is by doing it and experiencing what it feels like.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

San Rafael , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
My one question would be, what were you planning to use as a tow vehicle if you got one in California?
The local dealer in Fairfield said I could rent a full sized truck from them for $75/day to use to tow the trailer.

And yes, the advice I have gotten here has been amazing. What has been a hassle in terms of effort and stress has turned into a worthwhile exercise as the information I have received has been invaluable. I believe I will pass on this deal and just wait and try to find something locally.
joe12pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #48
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Just get the hitch set properly, know how to hitch and in hitch and you'll have most of the battle won. A properly set hitch makes it or brakes it...... Speaking of brakes, you'll need a quality brake controller.... Suggest the Tekonsha Prodigy III. Can't install that in a rented truck though!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #49
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
A long journey is a rush! However something close is cheaper, safer and more comfortable!
I think we have all been where you are right now! We have all driven far and wide!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Corsicana , Texas
Buying on the opposite coast is adding $3-5,000 of unrecoverable cost, that adds no value. Worse, it means you cannot inspect the trailer, or meet your dealer face-to-face. Not a good deal. Be patient. Find a trailer closer to home.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #51
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Check out Airstream Adventures NW as well - we had a good experience there. I'll bet you could make it up to the Portland location.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #52
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Why not contact Lynda Berringer Polk. She is with the greater LA Airstream club. I'm certain she would know of an Airstream for sale.... She is extremely in the know! She will become your new best pal!
Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I ve had 2 25ft trailers towed via Uship one from Arkansas and the other from Tenn and paid much less than what you were quoted. I wouldnt be comfortable having someone else make the UShip arrangements on my behalf especially when its so easy..also you dont have the option of seeing the bids that were offered on your job!
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
**Also if your interested in a Ocean Breeze 27ft contact Uwe at Area63Productions.com 714.614.1776. He gave me all my towing, hitching lessons and has handled all the repair work on both of my trailers.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Whenever I am pressured to choose yes or no to a "special deal" my answer is "no." It's not really a good deal if it expires on a self-imposed arbitrary deadline. Take the information you have on the deal and use it to negotiate a comparable deal closer to home. And, take your time selecting the tow vehicle, hitch, etc., etc. Also, don't buy sight unseen.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
Hey Joe.., here's my take, get a red eye flight & go kick some tires , you'll spend about $ 500 round trip , but you'll know what you are getting & can deal much better in person--took me 6 months to find one we wanted after renting one last year.--a bit more "due diligence" is worth it!!
schafman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

San Rafael , California
The conclusion of this...

Well it looks like everything just worked itself out. The dealer text messaged me and here is the exchange.

05.20.2015-18.12.38 - joe128pack's library

A nice way to end things.
joe12pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #58

Currently Looking...
Wichita Falls , Texas
Do what the pilots do when they're checking out on a new plane, find a co-pilot. Advertise for someone with towing experience and *references,* then check references. Might even find someone who's just looking for a ride west.
treatise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #59
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe12pack View Post
Well it looks like everything just worked itself out. The dealer text messaged me and here is the exchange.

I wouldn't give that dbag my money. He's the one that needs the sale. You can get an Airstream anywhere.

I'd call that guy up and say, "Hey, guess what, you've got a new problem. You've lost my money. Good luck finding the next person to sell that Airstream too, since you're loosing so much money waiting."

You know we bought used, but we looked new at first and went to a dealer that used the same BS. The Airstream we looked at was on their lot for 5 months after we looked at it before it moved. But you know, they pulled the same thing.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe12pack View Post

I'm glad you got that series of texts. Now you know what an a-hole you were dealing with. No need to rush to have a "deal" with someone like that. Much better deals with much better dealers are out there. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote