Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Joe - Do NOT Wire money. Tell the dealer that'll you will bring along a 'Cashiers Check' which you will turn over to them AFTER you have inspected in person. If that is not acceptable to them, walk away (they'll call you back). I got the same BS from my dealer in Florida, I told them that this is the only way it's going to get done and they finally relented. Of course, when we showed up prior to delivery to inspect the new unit, we brought along a Cashiers Check for the balance which actually put a frown on the Finance guys face as he couldn't sell us any financing and other needless stuff. Remember the old saying: 'If there's a deal today, they'll be a deal tomorrow!' Good luck.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you feel pressured back off. Let it go.

If you decide to go thru with it do not wire money. Have him send you the VIN and have it traced, if you can't do it your local police probably will, mine will. Do not bring it home yourself, never towed, new truck or new to you, new trailer is simply asking for trouble. Have it shipped. The service he quoted you is a bid process of individual people, some are not bonded, not insured and do not have DOT registration numbers. This part is probably not a scam, but it's questionable.

I'd wait and find something closer to home - any time a dealer or anyone else puts a time on something I turn, what most often happens is I wait and they sell it to someone else, which is always ok with me. Just lost a Shelby Cobra that way, there are others, and other Airstreams.

Good Luck

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Agree with all do not wire money. 5k cc deposit should hold it. Tell dealer you will fax him copy of airline ticket purchase. This should be enough for the dealer to hold until you get there to inspect the AS. If not I would run not walk away from the deal. Bring a cashiers check or finanace the balance. I would purchase a RT airline ticket so that a way you have an automatic out and can make your decision(s) with out having to deal the hassel of how do I get home if...... If it doesn't work out spend the time sightseeing.
Good luck hope all goes well.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My opinion is that the "deal" you think you are getting is not going to be any cheaper in the long run than finding the same trailer on the west coast and transporting it a few hundred miles by yourself with your new tow vehicle (which you can have time to purchase).

The Airstream disease of deals and immediate purchase sight unseen from unknown parties has burned a lot of individuals over the years. Buy reasonably locally, inspect the rig personally, evaluate the seller, (private or dealer) and then make an informed decision. There is always another day, and another Airstream. They still make them brand new even....lol.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Walk away from this. No RUN away.

The actions of the dealer you are describing are not the actions of a dealer worth working with. So many classic pressure tactics. Crappy interest rate too!

Take time, cool the jets a little. Deals come up all the time on airstreams. Go talk to your local dealer and see what they have to say.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #20
Zil
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
i would not send any vehicle sales person in nj any deposit unless i was on site to check the seller and the merchandise.
That said, towing a 25 foot trailer with a u-haul (not a van) would not be overly difficult on the interstates. i would stay south to miss the mountains.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Option 4:
Buy a truck where you live and drive cross-country to pick up the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe12pack View Post
hey everyone,
I am seriously thinking about buying a 2015 25' airstream on the east coast (I live on the west coast). I am getting a very good deal so it's possibly worth the hassle. My options are:

1. have it towed by a transportation company (getting quotes of $5-$8k)
2. Fly out there & rent a truck (Enterprise Commercial rents one way trucks I believe) and bring it back myself.
3. Fly out there & buy a truck (used/new) and bring it back myself. Either keep the truck or sell it when I am done.

2500 miles. Never towed anything before.

Need to decide in next 12 hours.

Any other advice? Am I in over my head?
we bought our 2013 23 signature from bay area airstream 2400 cordellia rd. Fairfield ca. 94534 707 549 6094 from Kathy. fantastic deal! we live in mesquite tx. tells you something about the dealership & people. we drove up &picked it up and drove it back to tx. they are having a sale till the end of the mo. highly advise you talk to them before drining east to the unknown.
if I can help call me .972 415 1666 dan
Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #23
Drag&Fly

1988 29' Excella
Collierville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to md11flyer
Lot of really good comments here and I agree with most. IMHO pass on the deal since you feel pressured, you have never towed before, its the other side of the country, you probably are not aware of payload, anti-sway issues, towing vehicle setups and so forth. Absolutely get an automatic transmission. I drive an F250 D with its six speed tranny and it handles my 29ft Excella with GLEE! The Dodge rigs come with an Allison which may be the best tranny out there. Please do your self a favor in the interest of safety for all of us and go drive a tow vehicle you are interested in first. Learn about anti-sway systems and decide which one is best for you and your family. Oh, and send us a picture of your rig when its all setup. Cheers!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe12pack View Post
hey everyone,

I am seriously thinking about buying a 2015 25' airstream on the east coast (I live on the west coast). I am getting a very good deal so it's possibly worth the hassle. My options are:

1. have it towed by a transportation company (getting quotes of $5-$8k)

2. Fly out there & rent a truck (Enterprise Commercial rents one way trucks I believe) and bring it back myself.

3. Fly out there & buy a truck (used/new) and bring it back myself. Either keep the truck or sell it when I am done.

2500 miles. Never towed anything before.

Need to decide in next 12 hours.

Any other advice? Am I in over my head?

Hi there - I feel your aluminitus pain 😄

Easier to say from here but your opening statement about seriously thinking about this conflicts greatly with your closing statement of needing to decide in 12 hours. And that's only addressing the outer slices of bread on this delicious fluffernutter sandwich you've presented for reaction and advice (I'm leaving the delicious middle alone &#128516.

My advice - since you asked - and this is free advice which could be worth everything you're paying for it - is to just stop. You are in over your head and with even a few more weeks spent researching and learning, you'll be in a MUCH better position to make a fully informed decision and get the perfect buy.

What type of camping are you interested in? Will you be boondocking or KOAing? That would have a huge impact on solar and battery choices. How many of these trailers have you walked through/explored? What is it about this particular configuration that suits your needs so well? What % of time will you be camping? What tow vehicle best suits your needs for the balance of camping/daily driving you'll be doing - with the weight of this trailer when fully loaded for camping? With your TV/TT combo, what WD hitch solution works best for you? How are you going to learn how to tow this thing before taking it cross country? Do you even need to go cross country? What's your risk tolerance for EBay "dealers" who may (or may NOT be) authorized Airstream dealers (like say Colonial in NJ if you must come to the east coast)?

Those are some basic questions just scratching the surface.

If I were your Dr., I would prescribe aluminum rest, put on the trailer brakes (damn, that's funny!! &#128516 and do a bit more research first. There is no doubt in my mind you're going to find a great deal at the right time. These things aren't as scarce as hen's teeth after all. And this brief respite will ultimately make your decision 100 times more valuable.

Your call as to whether this advice has any value 😄

Best of luck!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Joe, I'm glad I came across this post and I really hope this gets you in time. I see you're in my neck of the woods (well, the crusty northern hippie part at least.) so before you go flying off to the east coast to find out you've wired money to a scammer I behest you to call David Morse at Toscano RV. I guarantee you that if the dealer out east is legit, David will beat the price on the same model. If David isn't available ask for Henry the owner.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Dallas Center , Iowa
If the price to haul it is acceptable including the purchase price then have someone haul it for you.

It occurs to me that if the deal is that good then buyer be ware. Did I say buyer be ware. If it is so good then why has someone close to where it is not bought it already? After-all a price $5-6k under normal market value is attractive to any serious buyer. Something seems iffy here but make your best decision. Getting in a hurry and having a 12 hour window is not always the best way to buy.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Joe
I have always liked adventures like this, And since you can take whatever time you need I'd say just do it. Buy a truck in CA, drive it to the east coast, pick up your new AS, and take your time heading back (avoid I-76/I-70 from PA through Indiana). Trips like this are why, in part, we're in the camping business in the first place....for adventure. On the downside, your last post sounds like you're coming back down to earth. And with all these (legitimate) doubts, maybe take the boards advice and keep looking around on the west coast. Safe travels either way.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

San Rafael , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan hartman View Post
we bought our 2013 23 signature from bay area airstream 2400 cordellia rd. Fairfield ca. 94534 707 549 6094 from Kathy.
I actually visited the local Airstream dealer in Fairfield this past weekend which is what started this obsession. The dealer I met in person has looked at what I am being offered by this east coast guy and is adamant that its way below dealer cost and how can this other dealer be possibly offering me this deal. He said he can match the offer but for a Flying Cloud which is 2 levels below this Intl Serenity.

I did email the east coast guy and say if I move forward I will fly out and hand him a cashiers check for the remaining $5k.

The interest rate does suck but I can always pay it down early.

As for option #4 driving out there- I have time but not that much time.

The dealer can't guarantee me that my delivery costs will be $3k or less as he says that's my responsibility.

This is an amazing forum. Thanks to everyone's advice so far!