Old 10-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
The VW Touareg is a nice SUV. I had my eye on one, too.

Had a VW Camper for about 10 years, and, man, what a rig that was! Still miss it.

But ... if it were me, I'd buy the Ford. Why?

Because if I break down in Vinegar Bend, Alabama, or some other Tiny Town, USA, chances of finding VW parts are not promising.

The Jimmy's Repair Replace down at the corner, though, is going to have plenty of Ford stuff, and maybe the stuff I need.

Ford sells tens of thousands of F-150s every year. VW, I don't know, but ... there is not a VW dealer in the city I live in. That's telling me something.

WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Good point. I towed to Alaska with a Mercedes ML 350 diesel. You can't beat it as a tow vehicle. But my check engine light went on just outside of Edmonton. I got it fixed there but the next MB dealer was 2000 miles away in Anchorage. If I had a breakdown in the Yukon I'd be toast. If it was under warranty MB would have come to tow the car 1000 miles into the shop but I would have had to leave my trailer and the wife behind at the mercy of the grizzlies.

No, you cant get it fixed at the local gas station. I once brought it in to one for a simple oil change and they totally botched it. Cost me $900 at the dealer to put it back together.

out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #23
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Have towed with two Touaregs, a V8 gasser and a V10 diesel. Awesome vehicles on and off road and towing, depending on size of trailer. A 23' is no problem. Also had a F150 Ecoboost which is fine up to a 25'. Also an awesome tow vehicle. But like all vehicles they all had their own issues, good and bad. No bias here.

Basically, do you want an SUV or a pickup truck?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like towing with a pickup. Hard clam cover on the back. Put stuff back in the bed that ought not to be in the cab. During traveling season my generator and tool box and fishing gear just sorta lives in the truck. The long wheel base seems to smooth things out. Of course I like driving the truck for everyday use also. I expect either choice will actually pull the trailer just fine. I bet overall the truck will be cheaper. I drive my wife's SUV sometimes but generally am glad to get back in my truck.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
The VW Touareg is a nice SUV. I had my eye on one, too.

Had a VW Camper for about 10 years, and, man, what a rig that was! Still miss it.

But ... if it were me, I'd buy the Ford. Why?

Because if I break down in Vinegar Bend, Alabama, or some other Tiny Town, USA, chances of finding VW parts are not promising.

The Jimmy's Repair Replace down at the corner, though, is going to have plenty of Ford stuff, and maybe the stuff I need.

Ford sells tens of thousands of F-150s every year. VW, I don't know, but ... there is not a VW dealer in the city I live in. That's telling me something.
Ford sold over a million F series trucks in 2018 and the F150 is the best selling vehicle in America for over thirty years. https://www.torquenews.com/3768/late...lar-ford-f-150. So, yeah, Jimmy will probably be able to get your part!
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Edmonds , Washington
Dually tow vehicle best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGambill View Post
Hey folks...
We are brand newbies and have just purchased our first Airstream - a 22 foot Bambi. We’ll be weekend travelers September - May and in summers will go cross country from NC to California to visit our kids June-August. We’ve done lots of research on tow vehicles, and are trying to decide between a used Touareg TDl and a used Ford F-150 crew cab. Would love pros / cons and suggestions. Thanks!
After having a GMC Sierra 3500 dually for 5 years, pulling 1st a 22ft Nash, now a 30 foot Airstream, I can't recommend a single axle truck. We came across an accident in Utah where a F150 got a,simple flat tire but the 21 foot trailer,being towed was,basically destroyed it seemed due to flipping over on it's side. If you can find a used recent year dually truck, you will be pleased with how you will feel so secure zipping down the highway.

JECTJC is offline   Reply With Quote