Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
That Ford has two turbos!

(That is my understanding anyway)

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Originally Posted by Glenn T View Post
I'm concerned that you won't be happy with the performance of a 3.5 liter V6. I'm towing a 20 foot 2011 Flying Cloud with a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with a 4 liter V6, and it's fine here in the midwest, but struggles in the mountains.

Driving through the Bighorn mountains in Wyoming last summer on Rt. 16 there were times when I had the peddle to the floor, auto trans in 1st gear, and was traveling at 27 mph. This was on a road where the posted speed limit was 50. I had a train of cars following me...

Now, this was at 8,500 feet or higher, burning premium fuel, and with the trailer and truck moderately loaded. I was the only person in the vehicle. I seriously wished I had a V8, or at least a turbo or supercharged engine that wouldn't be as affected by the thin air.

Then again... I got through just fine, and didn't mind the 13.5 to 15.0 mpg I got on the rest of the trip! What concerns me is that you'll be pulling a larger, heavier trailer with a larger, heavier tow vehicle, and probably more passengers, but with a smaller engine. Sooner or later you'll have to wind through mountains on 2 lane highways, and with only 3.5 liters, it would be very slow going... unless that Ford 3.5 has a turbocharger.

The Ford 3.5L Ecoboost is turbocharged and puts out more power and torque than many small V8's, and it does it at relatively low RPM.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
Steve and Sharon
2015 27' FB International
Panama City , Florida
I'm towing a 2015 27FB International with a 2010 F150 with the 4.6 3 valve and a blue OX hitch. It is rated to 9400 pounds as well and the trailer dry weight is 5964. Although I have not had it in the mountains yet, my truck has no issues pulling fact the gas mileage is even pretty good.
FL Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I have a 2011 3.5 EcoBoost and pulle a 2014 25FC. I had no problems in any mountains from TX to Alberta and BC. Even on some of the long steep inclines, no issues at all. What many forget is the torque of this engine and in the mountains the twin turbos prevent some of the bog that normal aspirated engines face in the thin air.

Hook up the 23 and enjoy. You will be fine.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Dallas Center , Iowa
The Ford EcoBoost as described will tow just fine as most have stated and it has an adequate amount of torque to carry you up and over the mountain ranges; in fact it is impressive from that standpoint. It also has the tow-haul feature in the transmission which is a big bonus as well. The EcoBoost and motor size is not an issue, however, the "truck payload capacity" and your ability to carry all items you would hope to bring on your long journey in both the AS and TV is the issue. It always gets down to payload. Travel lite....... In the final analysis and with plenty of time (days) to adjust before you leave, load it up and get on a scale at a truck stop. You will be given clarity at that moment. Again, safe travels.
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Plainville , Connecticut
Thanks again for all of the advice. Glenn, the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost is turbocharged. I've hauled my Casita and several different fully loaded motorcycle trailers with no issues. My main concern was regarding hitch weight, but I'm comfortable now that won't be an issue either. I appreciate your thoughts.

Scott-Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Dallas Center , Iowa
Payload and hitch weight are inseparable. Specs....
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
Payload and hitch weight are inseparable. Specs....
Well, maybe.

Payload is religion to some but others consider it a recommendation and concern themselves with axle ratings. My payload door sticker says "should never exceed", the axle ratings leave no wiggle room. It is possible to be within payload spec and exceed an axle rating, which is one reason why a quality weight distribution hitch properly adjusted is important when towing your Airstream. As well as weighing your loaded rig with weight distribution applied.

As for hitch weight, factory spec's are seldom correct, useful for little more than selecting size of weight distribution bars, and even then you must also add in the truck's bed load which is located behind the truck's axles.

Hitch weight is also not cut and dried. It needs to be at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight. That would be about 720 lbs for us. We were over 1000 lbs hitch weight so I moved some weight from the front of the trailer farther back to lighten hitch weight. I plan to lighten it more. That results in less load on the truck and lighter weight distribution, most probably a smoother ride for the integrity of trailer rivets and my back.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote