Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #1

2016 30' International
Hampton Bays , New York
Newbie in the Airstream

Just switched from class c to a 30 ft airstream. I’m towing it with a 1500 Dodge Ram. I have a Reese hitch with airbags on the truck. When I hit 60 mph the rv starts swaying any ideas how to correct it .
TheKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
If you want real help with your actual setup, not just random suggestions, you need to provide details of your tow vehicle:
- payload from the door sticker
- front and rear GAWRs,
- GVWR
- GCWR

And your latest CAT scale measurements showing:
- the tow vehicle alone
- the tow vehicle with the trailer hooked up without weight distribution
- the tow vehicle with the trailer hooked up with weight distribution engaged.

Also, details on exactly which Reese hitch, ie. just a ball? Weight distribution but no sway control? Dual cam with weight distribution and sway control? What weight bars? Etc.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Yep exactly, we can only speculate your exact setup.
That said, I'd go ahead and speculate that you've overloaded the payload on your TV.
Too much weight on the rear end.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
I hate to be the one to say this but an F-150 is too small to keep a swaying 30' Airstream under control. You need a 1 ton truck at a minimum. If your dealer told you it was OK, just buy a nice hitch from me, then I'd ask for my money back.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A "typical" setup for a 30' trailer would be an F-250 with the towing options and a weight distributing / anti-sway (WD ) hitch. The rig would need to be carefully set up to make that all work well.

Since there are a *lot* of F-150's and a lot of different F-250's, there is no way to generalize about this or that works simply based on the model.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
The size of truck is not the problem with sway. How the trailer is set up is more an issue. If you are tongue light and rear heavy you will get more sway. This is often a result of putting too much in the rear of the trailer compared to the front. It could also be that you don't have your WDH set right. Or you need a different hitch.

I used a Blue Ox with my F150 for awhile. I couldn't get rid of the bow affect until I went to a pro pride hitch which is an anti-sway hitch. Having said that you should be able to adjust your WDH so you get no sway with a 30' trailer at 60mph.

If you are using airbags don't assume that when your truck is level the weight is property distributed. I am not completely familiar with how to do so with airbags. But as I understand it you need to adjust the hitch without the airbags engaged first. Then use the airbags. HOWEVER if when you use the airbags it puts the hitch up too high that could be reason for sway. You are better off having a little bit of nose down then nose up. Might want to check with a level.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
First Off my dear responders the person that began the thread said he was towing with a Dodge Ram 1500 NOT a Ford F-150 and there is a huge difference between the trucks...

Let start again:

While the Ram may well have a payload issue because of the Hitch weight - the request for further info regarding the type of hitch system is required. You say you are using a Reese hitch - what does that mean: 1) just the hitch Ball, or 2) A complete weight distributions system with anti sway (for example a Reese Dual Cam System).

Who installed this? Yourself or a dealer? Since the AS is 2016 did you buy from an owner or dealer?

Would be very helpful to have a picture of your setup (AS hitched to the Ram if possible)

You can also visit the following link for a discussion on towing capacity - may be helpful -- how-to-determine-if-your-tow-vehicle-is-right-for-your-trailer/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
another

Another not enough truck guy.