Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Check the payload numbers on your Pilot. They are a bit low. Honda has some interesting ideas about how little you will be carrying with you. (I'm in the process of trading one in). They are fine SUV's and I've liked mine a lot. Once you add the trailer tongue weight to passenger and gear weight .... things got marginal for us, even on a smaller trailer than what we have. Also realize that you may (or may not) load the trailer properly. The real weight could be a bit above the ideal number.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
For 3 summers I towed a 23' Gulfstream Visa (now called Vista) which seems to be about the weight trailer you're asking about here. This was absolute max for the Pilot. I did a lot of ATF temp monitoring as well. While it did GREAT within my State of Wisconsin and if you can tolerate near redline RPM for mountain travel, it would do ok. Not great. Just ok. Not more then a few trips a year is all you'll want to do.

I ran 19" UPH (ultra high performance = extremely stiff sidewalls) and the E2 WDH with 1000lb bars. I also tried a Hensley with 1000lbs bars for a short trip and it was pretty ridiculous (ridiculously GOOD), but at that same time I also bought a larger SUV.

MPG's ranged from 8-12mpg. Average 9-10. I never saw 13.

RinconVTR is offline   Reply With Quote