Old 07-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Newbie Diesel question

I know I've previously read threads on this topic, but cannot seem to locate them now , so my apologies for rehashing this, but would appreciate your insight!

For those that tow with diesel (specifically 3/4 trucks) -- do you use the 18 wheeler lanes when fueling up?

Does this require some sort of flow restrictor to do so?

Thank you!!

Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I rarely use the big truck lanes, but when I have I haven't needed a flow restricting device. Does fill quickly, though.

1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored

PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I rarely use the lanes for truckers because they do not accept my credit card. They are set up for some type of trucker-only credit card system. I usually try to fill up when not hitched so the regular car lanes are fine. When driving a long day that requires a fill up while towing I will usually look for a fuel lane that I can use given my 50 foot length.

Having said this, I have fueled in the truck lane on occasion and really like the fast fill that I get due to the larger fill nozzle! I don't see the need for any type of flow restrictor.
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use the truck fill lanes sometimes. I have to walk inside and leave the card and go back out to fill and then back in to pay. The large nozzle, fast flow works fine with my Dodge. I do hold the nozzle and run it slower than wide open. I try to stay out of really crowded large truck stops because I feel in the way. When traveling we may go 5 to 6 days or more without unhooking so we do sometimes fill while hitched,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
If you feel uneasy about leaving a credit card inside prior to filling, could you say leave a $100 bill inside, fill up, go back in and retrieve the $ and then use the credit card?
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Newbie Diesel question

We use a debit card with a very restricted account balance on a very isolated credit union account without overdraft protection of any sort. That limits the exposure.

I can transfer money to the account in moments as needed from my cell phone.

This card was recently used fraudulently. The attempt would have hit the card for thousands had it not been limited. The only loss was a parking meter fee in Chicago, and that was refunded. When that card is not in regular travel use, I keep the balance below $50.

Being a paid paranoid computer security weenie is not a bad thing....

As a practical thing, I can see returning to the cashier and being asked, "what $100 bill?" The credit card can be killed in two minutes.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
We rarely use the truck lanes/fast flow pumps to fuel up. It seems like the auto diesel pumps are becoming more prevalent in the areas we frequent. When the fast flow pumps are the only option, I stay at the pump nozzle and don't run it wide open.
Greg & Mary
2005, 31 ft. Classic - 2008 Ford F250
WGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
As well, in non-urban settings, stations which pump diesel often position the diesel pumps in locations which have fairly good access to those pulling trailers. Approaching urban areas, I plan ahead to insure I have sufficient fuel to get out of the area. Sometimes that means I stop to refuel when I have 1/4 to 1/2 full tank.

I rarely use the truck lanes anymore. Truck stops often have RV-friendly diesel pumps as well to keep RVs out of the truck lanes.

Apps like GasBuddy and Google Maps can also be your friend to scope out fuel stops, giving you a "birds-eye" view of the access.

In a desperate situation, I figure I can drop the trailer in a grocery store parking lot or side street to refuel, but I've never had to resort to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
When we need fuel , we go wher ever we can fit, truck islands are fine...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After a couple of tries not taking our credit card, we don't attempt to use them. Use the auto/pickup lanes instead. Sometimes there is a auto/pickup lane to one side of the truck lanes, marked as such.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
There has been disagreement with myself and others in a past thread about truck lanes, but I try to avoids them because the faster flow nozel has the potential to stir up more sediment and thus add contaminant to your tank.

For me, here in the west we seem to have a lot of wide open and spacious fill stations, so I have never had a problem getting fuel while hitched. I might just have to pass a few stations on the process.

Happy travels with your new diesel!
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Great Falls , Montana
Because I drive a diesel Airstream Motorhome, size, height, and easy access are a factor for me. Flying J and Pilot Truck Stops usually have an RV lane but I have no problem pulling into a truck lane especially when towing a Jeep. The fast flow nozzels work fine, only sometimes they do cut off with tanks full and foam comes out.

Most times the pump takes my credit card but cuts off at $100. If filling up, it can take anywhere from $140 to $165 so I have to put nozzle back into pump and reinsert card to start again. A few times I did go inside and leave my Amex. Overall its not a problem and I take the extra time at fuel ups to check other things like the tow car, food, drinks, and potty breaks.

In the middle of a long cross country trip from MT to FL so pulling out tomorrow on the last leg from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale. Spending a month on the road has been exciting and interesting to say the least
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
A lot of truck stops have a normal size and flow nozzle closest to the building if they don't have Rv pumps.when we were out west we found several stops with Rv pumps you could only get to with a VW camper at the largest.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Typically, in the auto diesel pumps are on the outside islands but they can be occupied by gas autos. I'll find out next week on my first long trip with my Ram CTD how it all works out.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote