Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Thank you for the tip!!!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Hogfan,

You're a diesel newbie, we all were at one time.

Unrelated but yet related to your inquiry, carry a replacement fuel filter with you for your diesel.
Couldn't agree more. I once swapped one out in ODOT gravel yard 3 hours from any town, getting dark, and at something cold degrees.
When traveling in the cold all the more important to have an extra filter, as there is a higher chance of sludge, crude, and water.

Also, if you are doing a lot of cold weather travel get a grill cover.

Going from warm to cold in one winter's drive? Don't forget to stop and fill up with the winter blend or #1.

Cheers to you and your new diesel!
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I agree with the comment about carrying and extra filter. We signed up with a local CFN affiliate and have a gas / diesel only card. I fill up at the 18 wheeler islands and shoot for non-manned stations to avoid the cars and convenience store crowds. The large fill neck fills my 44 gallon tank quickly and the truck dispensers usually have a large filter and water separator inline. I also figure that the truck / agricultural dispensaries go through a lot more diesel weekly and are less apt to have algae/scum in the tanks. Just a theory. The CFN cards worked great for our kids in high school too. We gave them cards and limited the gas monthly to school related activities plus a little. In a pinch my CFN card works at Chevron in California as well. I get a bill every two weeks from the local petroleum company.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Just bought my first diesel truck (had a VW diesel in the early 2000's), going to be interesting to see how things have changed. At least around here in Texas, finding diesel isn't an issue. A lot of the pumps have both diesel and regular gas at the same island, so it's just a matter of figuring out which pump will be easier to get in an out. But then that was an issue with my 1500 gas truck and AS as well.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #25
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The extra filter really hit last year when I saw a 5'er on I-95 with its Senior driver walking away. I pulled over offered a lift but he said some road service was on its way, clogged filter.

Kicker was the guy was a veteran rv'er with a truck he had for many years. He knew his rig.

Even if you're not a hands on repair type, carry the spare in a brand you trust and then you're at least not looking for parts, just a helping hand.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The newer Rams have two filters, one way up under the frame by the fuel tank and the other in the engine compartment. Looks like a pain to change. The more I read this thread the more I wonder about my buying decision but then I haven't towed extensively with mine and have only purchase diesel (#2) locally while solo. Big trip coming up next week. Hoping for an uneventful tow.

Kelvin

Kelvin
Old 08-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Another option, consider an auxiliary fuel tank. I now have a 1000+ mile range and don't have to worry about finding a station to accommodate my 50 ft long trailer/truck combo while hitched up.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
You have to watch those 'Sheetsz' stations, they have trouble with their pumps, where you get a really slow flow rate. It always seems to occur at a sheetz more often, and I have had it occur at a gasoline pump too, where you get a super slow fill rate. Even if you stop and restart the pump. If you're not careful you can waste 45 minutes at a sheetz in no time flat when this happens.

A (hopefully) helpful hint- if you find a diesel pump that is running exceedingly slow - it is likely that the pump's leak detection function has tripped, usually for no valid reason. If this happens, simply stop pumping fuel and wait for 30 seconds. Don't hang up the nozzle. This resets the leak detector and then upon resuming, fuel will flow at a reasonable rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
I pull a 29' AS with my crewcab and I'm 50' bumper to bumper. Getting in and out of auto pump islands is very iffy. Unless I am familiar with which islands have the second hose for diesel I can't maneuver my rig through all the obstacles to find which island pumps have my diesel. Its just easier most of the time to pull up to a truck island. All have taken my AmEx so far. Comments about using the low setting on the pump is spot on, that diesel comes out fast. If there is an 18 wheeler behind me he still won't wait as long as if I was an 18 wheeler. And it is a good opportunity to do the windshield and have a quick potty stop after I've filled up.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Newbie Diesel question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The newer Rams have two filters, one way up under the frame by the fuel tank and the other in the engine compartment. Looks like a pain to change. The more I read this thread the more I wonder about my buying decision but then I haven't towed extensively with mine and have only purchase diesel (#2) locally while solo. Big trip coming up next week. Hoping for an uneventful tow.

Kelvin

Kelvin

I don't regret the decision to buy my Ram 2500 diesel for a second.

Just turned 22k miles since purchase in November, about a third of that towing. Have been across Texas to Cali, through Death Valley, then up to Portland, and back across through Wyoming and back to Tampa.

I've done one service so far, at six months. Had both fuel filters done as well as the oil/filter change at a dealer in Portland.

I have had to add one quart of oil in that time, which I chalk up to break-in consumption.

Zero issues; engine pulls like a train.

I've enjoyed the tech as well. Last month I finally realized it had a feature on uConnect where you can search for an address on your phone, and then send it to the truck. (I had this on previous vehicles). You can then click 'go' on the truck's "Send 'n Go" app and navigate to that address.

I've been doing that the night before lately, so that the day's waypoints are already in the Nav system the next morning for our drive that day.

Pretty neat.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote