Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My 2016 Ram 2500 diesel's fuel nozzle will accomodate either large or small fuel fill hoses.

I've fueled at high-flow pumps before, but only as a result of being the only available pump when pulling into a strange station towing a 30' Airstream.

The high flow pumps work, but I have learned to keep the detent on the lowest possible flow setting, and to carefully listen to the sound of the tank filling up. This avoids awkward overflows. (trust me on this one )

Finding a diesel pump when on the road is one of the most frustrating part of towing.

It will generally:

- Be unmarked as to 'diesel'
- Be not working or otherwise covered, which you discover at the last minute
- Will have an island completely occupied by a parked minivan, with 12 occupants outside, eating chicken at the pump (true story)
- Be marked 'biobiesel' in tiny 8 point font
- Be so hard to manuever as to be impossible to pull out of
- Have a handle covered in diesel oil and dirt
- Will elicit a response of "Oh diesel? It's around back"

...or some combination of the above.

I've had good success at Scheetz and Wawa, being new-ish stations with large approach approns and working card readers.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Always.

That is 3 times as fast and on a 40 gallon tank that is time.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Thanks so much guys! I guess we'll need to keep our eyes open for RV lanes with diesel or in a pinch hit up the 18 wheeler side. This will be a learning experience I'm sure ;-)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Hint. In a pinch if you can't get into the diesel pump, try unhitching at a parking lot or shopping center and drive the tv over for a fill up. Better than running out of fuel. I can unhitch in a couple of minutes. Just something that has saved me a couple times. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
auto islands

THIS --> - ",,,Will have an island completely occupied by a parked minivan, "

Never fails, oblivious ( 'Beeps' ) blocking the diesel islands while gas only island are available.
You have to watch those 'Sheetsz' stations, they have trouble with their pumps, where you get a really slow flow rate. It always seems to occur at a sheetz more often, and I have had it occur at a gasoline pump too, where you get a super slow fill rate. Even if you stop and restart the pump. If you're not careful you can waste 45 minutes at a sheetz in no time flat when this happens.
I have started avoiding sheetz. They can be annoying by being occupied by so many 'drones' in 'four-wheelers'.

A lot of diesel pumps in the Truck fill areas are now becoming pay at the pump.
Pilot, Loves, and a couple Shell truck stops, I have had good luck at and just pay at the pump and get out of the way.
Have a good one,
Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Hogfan,

You're a diesel newbie, we all were at one time.

Unrelated but yet related to your inquiry, carry a replacement fuel filter with you for your diesel.

You can catch some crud in fuel and filter will clog, reduced power etc. pull off, let it cool if necessary, change filter and continue with trip. No filter? Wait for tow or billy bob repair and video rental to get you going.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Thank you for the tip!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Hogfan,

You're a diesel newbie, we all were at one time.

Unrelated but yet related to your inquiry, carry a replacement fuel filter with you for your diesel.
Couldn't agree more. I once swapped one out in ODOT gravel yard 3 hours from any town, getting dark, and at something cold degrees.
When traveling in the cold all the more important to have an extra filter, as there is a higher chance of sludge, crude, and water.

Also, if you are doing a lot of cold weather travel get a grill cover.

Going from warm to cold in one winter's drive? Don't forget to stop and fill up with the winter blend or #1.

Cheers to you and your new diesel!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
I agree with the comment about carrying and extra filter. We signed up with a local CFN affiliate and have a gas / diesel only card. I fill up at the 18 wheeler islands and shoot for non-manned stations to avoid the cars and convenience store crowds. The large fill neck fills my 44 gallon tank quickly and the truck dispensers usually have a large filter and water separator inline. I also figure that the truck / agricultural dispensaries go through a lot more diesel weekly and are less apt to have algae/scum in the tanks. Just a theory. The CFN cards worked great for our kids in high school too. We gave them cards and limited the gas monthly to school related activities plus a little. In a pinch my CFN card works at Chevron in California as well. I get a bill every two weeks from the local petroleum company.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Just bought my first diesel truck (had a VW diesel in the early 2000's), going to be interesting to see how things have changed. At least around here in Texas, finding diesel isn't an issue. A lot of the pumps have both diesel and regular gas at the same island, so it's just a matter of figuring out which pump will be easier to get in an out. But then that was an issue with my 1500 gas truck and AS as well.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #25
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The extra filter really hit last year when I saw a 5'er on I-95 with its Senior driver walking away. I pulled over offered a lift but he said some road service was on its way, clogged filter.

Kicker was the guy was a veteran rv'er with a truck he had for many years. He knew his rig.

Even if you're not a hands on repair type, carry the spare in a brand you trust and then you're at least not looking for parts, just a helping hand.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
The newer Rams have two filters, one way up under the frame by the fuel tank and the other in the engine compartment. Looks like a pain to change. The more I read this thread the more I wonder about my buying decision but then I haven't towed extensively with mine and have only purchase diesel (#2) locally while solo. Big trip coming up next week. Hoping for an uneventful tow.

Kelvin

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Another option, consider an auxiliary fuel tank. I now have a 1000+ mile range and don't have to worry about finding a station to accommodate my 50 ft long trailer/truck combo while hitched up.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
You have to watch those 'Sheetsz' stations, they have trouble with their pumps, where you get a really slow flow rate. It always seems to occur at a sheetz more often, and I have had it occur at a gasoline pump too, where you get a super slow fill rate. Even if you stop and restart the pump. If you're not careful you can waste 45 minutes at a sheetz in no time flat when this happens.

A (hopefully) helpful hint- if you find a diesel pump that is running exceedingly slow - it is likely that the pump's leak detection function has tripped, usually for no valid reason. If this happens, simply stop pumping fuel and wait for 30 seconds. Don't hang up the nozzle. This resets the leak detector and then upon resuming, fuel will flow at a reasonable rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

steverino is offline   Reply With Quote