Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2017, 05:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Get the Ford. And get a 3/4 or one ton. There's just no substitute. Next up would be the Ram but if you're not getting the Cummins...just get the Ford.

By the way, I put Consumer Reports in the same category as the news magazines at the grocery checkout.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Thanks for all your opinions I do appreciate it
cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
1975 27' Overlander; which TV?

From what I see, your Overlander has specs of a Dry Weight – 4510 lbs. with a Hitch Weight – 480 lbs. Even with loaded, I doubt your going to get past 6Klbs, so 1/2T can work well. You can see all the opinions on which truck, and which size. As others have suggested, you should really first decide if you want Diesel or GAS. There are significant cost differences with diesel, for service, DFT, service maintenance, cost of diesel fuel, and of course some folks (like me) don't like dealing with diesel fuel smell and other issues- but that's just me. I would then drive both the 1/2T and the 3/4 T models around a parking lot as well as on the road, park them both and see if your ok with the larger truck. No doubt the 3/4 T's are able to pull more weight and haul more payload, when properly configured. If your looking for a "daily driver" primarily, you will likely find the 1/2 T models to be more than capable and easier to maneuver than the 3/4T; just make sure you get a 1/2 T with decent payload and good hp/torque rating for your needs. If your going to be "full timing" or going on many long trips, you might well want to get the 3/4 T. Many of us have had this issue...(some of us still having "this dilemma": 1/2 or 3/4) Ohhhh the agony of choice...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Yes thanks for that observation specially considering that's going to be my daily driver and also we're planning to go on long trips: Canada Texas California Florida but we're not going to be full timing, it's just on our vacations so definitely thinking of a 1/2 ton with good payload

cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistream View Post
Yes thanks for that observation specially considering that's going to be my daily driver and also we're planning to go on long trips: Canada Texas California Florida but we're not going to be full timing, it's just on our vacations so definitely thinking of a 1/2 ton with good payload

We go to MT & Canada from TX and CA each year and log over 8K miles each summer between June and September. We found the 1/2 F150 to be very comfortable all around with reasonable MPG and no real maintenance issues after 105K miles now. We did not know about the importance of having a good sized "payload" when we bought our Platinum model; that is my only regret; suggest you need at least 1800 lbs payload. Will not make that mistake when we get the new Lariat F150 this spring.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote