Old 09-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
bumping for more advice as we plan on purchasing the TV in a couple days! Thanks again.
Make sure you get a good weight distributing hitch system with the trailer. Unfortunately I'm no expert as I use the EazLift the dealer installed on my Grand Cherokee, then readjusted for my F350. However, we're about to take delivery of a 27' and will probably get a Hensley. The EazLift is easy to use but has "snap over" attachments and chains and a few steps involved. It also has a friction sway device that MUST be used with your setup.

The Hensley is quite heavy so consult a knowledgeable setup person if you consider that for the Durango.

There is lots of do it yourself advice on here but I relied on CanAm to set mine up both times. They are nearby and it made sense to just drive there and setup was relatively inexpensive. I'll have them set up the new one too.

I lived and drove around Boulder in the 90s (learned to fly at Longmont airport!) and drove those canyons pulling a trailer with a 1966 Galaxie 390 V8. I was young and stupid then but never had a close call. Personally I would get a larger tow vehicle but understand your situation. Take it easy while you gain experience and you should be OK. You can upgrade tow vehicles later. If you take it slow on the passes and canyons you will have plenty of company. Just move over for some of the people on here who will come flying up behind you at 70 mph, or let them wait!

Old 09-04-2017, 06:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I tow my 25' with my '12 Durango all the time with no problem. Our 2014 25' FC rear twin weighs 6600 lbs fully loaded for a trip. We use a Reese Dual Cam hitch.