Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"never" is always a tricky thing to throw out there now aint it.....but im sure many people safely and effectively back up solo...

I suppose I do not fully comprehend again why my logic stated earlier could break down:

IF the spotter is competent and the communication is very effective....then the end result would be a safe and effective backing...

never say never...but I am willing to grant that for many folks solo backing with proper experience, its no big deal really...watching for kids or animals is inherent to the task....and frankly, there are quite a few accidents with pickup trucks or other larger vehicles backing over children in drive-ways....back up cameras or proximity alarms are quite helpful in this manner...

Im not sure I fully understand the logic of categorically dismissing the benefits of a *good and effective* spotter would be....having said that, if I had to do it solo, I would simply take my time, recheck, re-evaluate, take my time, and could do it just fine I think...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Backing is not "natural" feeling - to me it's really counter intuitive. The advice commonly given is "put your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and move the wheel in the direction you want the rear end of the trailer to go" - Which works just fine IF you also understand that less is more when backing and nothing happens instantly. Your trailer's back end will pivot on both axles scrubbing the tires sideways as much as rolling them back but if you pull far enough beyond your space and move your hands less than 1/4 turn your backing experience will be much happier than if you wrench the wheel around half a turn then correct, then re-correct then re-correct. It's easy to get into the habit of watching JUST the rear bumper of your trailer and thinking "oops I'm going to end up half way in the next spot beyond the one I'm aiming at... yet if you look at the rear tire... it's headed directly for the pad you want to be on... and you're still turning gently... and your back end is still moving toward the spot you're aiming for. When I'm truly in "zen-parking" mode it's almost as though I'm merely following the trailer into it's chosen space. I use a stream of water almost like a railroad track to run the trailer into it's parking spot (normally an arc from the back of the driver's side rear wheel to the middle of the near side of the pad or gravel I want that tire to rest on when I'm ready to unhitch). I'll try to remember to take pictures the next time I do it. I suppose on grass I could use some of my orange extension cords for guidelines.

Paula
Paula - when you reference the rear wheel on the driver's side, you are referring to the TT wheel and not the TV wheel, correct?
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Just to present the opposing spotter view, I nearly always use a spotter and she's darned good at it too. Sometimes she says nothing other than "stop", other times the directions are complex and precise (we use a walkie-talkie by the way). I can and have backed solo but it's so much easier when there are two.

I don't understand the view expressed that implies that using a spotter somehow diminishes your towing prowess; use any and every resource available, it's just common sense.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
It's just common sense vs it's not rocket science

Heh heh

Movin on

Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Communication is Key

I had everything in my head that it was going to be fine…lol! I practiced with a 20 ft float trailer about a dozen times backing up and just getting around.
When we picked up the Airstream and brought it home, we had to get her into her spot; which was off the driveway, onto the grass through two sets of trees on either side, and finally the gravel driveway where she relaxes!

The best advice I as a newbie can give is, make sure you and the person helping you use the same communication….left is trailers left, or right is trailers right. Much anxiety and less yelling will be avoided.
breezyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Pharm,

"Think Wide Thoughts"

Thats our mantra for towing. You want to be in a different mindset when you head out with the trailer.

When we set off with the trailer, we consider it the co-pilot's job to say "Think Wide Thoughts". And it doesn't feel like nagging, it's just how we get into the groove.

May your bunkhouse always be shiny!
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I use a spotter to keep me from backing into a immovable object. I also get out and look. I have learned the hard way. Don't be lazy or think your such an excellent driver you don't need to check. I am no longer interested in impressing the trailer chicks. Also avoids feeling really dumb while the trailer chicks snicker.
What he said.
There are times when I am alone therefore have to do it by myself.
Get out and look as many times as you need to for comfort, assurance, peace of mind, and what have ya...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #68
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
What a great thread…glad I came across this one…I'm in the same boat picking my Airstream in a couple of weeks…no towing experience and just getting used to a massive F250…all sorts of anxieties about towing and finding myself in awkward situations with the Airstream…I'm going to settle into this thread and take some good notes…Thanks for the tips!
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #69

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Part of my goal when towing is to avoid surprise backing. While I consider myself good at backing, I avoid situations where having to back catches me by surprise. For example I avoid pulling into gas stations where the pumps are perpendicular with the store/building which may leave inadequate room to pull forward and turn, allowing your trailer to clear the pumps as you are turning. Especially those which allow vehicles to park in front of the store.

I avoid going into any business or gas station that has a steep dip (up or down) from the street into the business (can result in dragging the hitch or the rear of the trailer).

When pulling into a business where you have to park across multiple parking spaces (say a McDonalds that has no truck or RV parking). I'll use the spaces the furthest from the building and in many cases park my vehicle close to an obstacle in front of me. That way no one will park in front of me thus blocking my ability drive forward (while turning) when leaving the parking spot.

Not associated with parking is that sometimes you will exit the highway for gas and food. If the roads off the exit are heavily traveled and/or multi lanes I will only use businesses that have controlled intersections with the business. If that's not possible and in departing where you have to cross multiple lanes of busy traffic to get back to the exit ramp, I may make a right turn out to the road rather than try to cross multiple lanes. I'll look ahead where I can make either a safe left turn into a parking lot that has room for me to swing the trailer around in the lot. This now gives me a much safer right turn from the lot back onto the road heading to the Interstate ramp. The other method is if you can fathom the roads, look for an upcoming controlled intersection. Go past it to the next road and go right, right again at the next intersection, and one more right which will get you back to the controlled intersection where you can make a safe left.

Bottom line if I see the potential for a situation that might put me into an unsafe or difficult backing situation, I'll pass it by. It is not unusual for me to pull off the Interstate for gas and then see that my planned stop has difficulties or access issues. Once I see that I'll work my way back to the Interstate and choose the next stop. Typically that means stopping for gas once I drop to a half or just under half a tank. It makes it a lot easier to pass a food or gas stop by knowing you can still go further if necessary.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good advice Jack.

On those gas stations with the store directly in front of the pumps, and there are lots of them, I look for an open end pump, circle around so the truck is facing the exit. The trailer may be in the way of the store traffic a bit, so good idea to fill up and get out as soon as you can. Turn wide when going up to and leaving the pump so the trailer clears.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You have all the right equipment.
You have towed your boat.
In 30-45 minutes you will be comfortable.
No sweat.
Not to discourage you, but the lot at Foley is really tight and there are trailers everywhere- close together.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #72

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Good advice Jack.

On those gas stations with the store directly in front of the pumps, and there are lots of them, I look for an open end pump, circle around so the truck is facing the exit. The trailer may be in the way of the store traffic a bit, so good idea to fill up and get out as soon as you can. Turn wide when going up to and leaving the pump so the trailer clears.
Typically if I can see the pumps are too close to the building or car parking, I will do like you and circle the pumps to see if I can get the tow vehicle facing away from the building. Usually as you say, the only good pumps to do that with are the outside pumps. I won't stop unless I can get the trailer behind me clearly outside the navigation area of the parking traffic. This usually means with my 31' Classic and my tow van, I'm covering two to three pumps while only using one.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Good advice Jack. On those gas stations with the store directly in front of the pumps, and there are lots of them, I look for an open end pump, circle around so the truck is facing the exit. The trailer may be in the way of the store traffic a bit, so good idea to fill up and get out as soon as you can. Turn wide when going up to and leaving the pump so the trailer clears.
what he said..
And look for a truck stop.
Murphy USA's are usually too small.
I try to fill up at home and after unhooking at the destination, but sometimes on long trips have to get gas with a 30' house in tow.
Another reason to always go to the outside pumps is so the store clerk can see all cars on all pumps. This helps prevent drive-offs and if there is a drive-off the clerk can see the vehicle to describe it to police.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #74
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
What are "trailer chicks"?
They grow up to be Flamingos
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Excellent points about access jack and others!!!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
For the most part you will become comfortable with maneuvering the trailer and spotting trouble areas in sort time.
My spotter (wife) helps me out quite a bit with backing into the site just so I don't back the trailer into something I cannot see.
She and I have agreed upon a system of hand signals to use for backing in a tight camping spot. At night time she will shine the flash light upon her hand so I can what's going on. She also knows to maneuver herself so I can see her in the mirrors. All done with minimal to no voice communication - works for us you will find your own system.

The only thing that still makes both of us a bit nervous is driving in heavily populated area or extremely busy urban interstates. I don't think that will ever change because it is a situation that I cannot control - other crazy drivers! I'm happy to drive extra miles out of my way to avoid these areas.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
I have backed solo...but most often my spotter...(wife) and I have a good system in place with walkie-talkies and easy to understand instructions.
-more back drivers side (swing back of trailer to drivers side)
-more front drivers side (swing front of trailer to drivers side)
-more back passenger side (etc)
-more front passenger side (etc)
-keep coming (in current direction)
-and of course Stop

This avoids any confusion about left and right....
She talks and I listen.
If any confusion...I stop, get out and check things out...people can wait a few minutes if we aare blocking traffic.
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
makes sense.

we bought some cheap walkie talkies at walmart and are ready to practice...Gilmurr, I like your designated commands...may have to think about stealing those

t-3 days

Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why don't y'all use your cell phones?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
makes sense.

we bought some cheap walkie talkies at walmart and are ready to practice...Gilmurr, I like your designated commands...may have to think about stealing those

t-3 days

You both need to learn how to hook-up, tow and backup alone. There may come a time where you or your wife will have a need to do this.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote