Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1972 Argosy 22
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dislexeea2 View Post
Well dang, any clue as to the cost to haul (I assume trailer specialized hauler) a tailor....per mile? I mean dang, this thing is a and assume made to be trailer, made to be towed.....

the best,

D-
I just bought a 24 ft trailer that has been sitting for 28 years and I was told 3.00 per loaded mile for a flatbed to pick it up and deliver it to my house. I hope that helps.

1947 liner #1032
1950 liner #1451
1965 Airstream Safari
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
SA` , California
Thats not to bad, about $900 for me, trouble free.The Irony is it's parked right off the original 2 lane hyway 101 witch I happen to own a chunk of. I keep thinking of model t's chugging up the grade . I feel like a puss if I don't haul it my self.....but, if I find an affordable new home it might be worth it, got enough on my plate.

Regards, D-

Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Thats not to bad, about $900 for me, trouble free.The Irony is it's parked right off the original 2 lane hyway 101 witch I happen to own a chunk of. I keep thinking of model t's chugging up the grade . I feel like a puss if I don't haul it my self.....but, if I find an affordable new home it might be worth it, got enough on my plate.

Regards, D-
Sorry about your house IF it were me , and it had nylon tires on it that were not totally wasted from sitting flat while loaded, I'd air em up and check for leaks around the rim and sidewalls , have a useable spare, hook up the lights, put a temp. tag or trip permit on the back and head for home at a 55 mph pace . I have towed some old AS home with old nylon tires that were at least 30 years old without a problem . If it has any sort of radials on it , forget it . Any wheels and tires with 6 hole lug pattern off most any trailer and a lot of trucks will fit it. Jack up one side at a time and check for excess bearing slop and spin the wheel and listen for any of the bearings that sound rough.Check the bearings and lug nuts after a bit and you will most likely have an uneventful trip.
been there , done that
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
They might work, might not, temporary ones are a reasonable alternative. Remember that magnetic mounts don't work on aluminum.
I used a set of magnetic temporary lights from Harbor Freight, because the bumper on my Argosy is steel, so check your rear bumper with a magnet.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
SA` , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Sorry about your house IF it were me , and it had nylon tires on it that were not totally wasted from sitting flat while loaded, I'd air em up and check for leaks around the rim and sidewalls , have a useable spare, hook up the lights, put a temp. ... I have towed some old AS home with old nylon... Jack up one side at a time and check for excess bearing slop and spin the wheel and listen for any of the bearings that sound rough.Check the bearings and lug nuts after a bit and you will most likely have an uneventful trip.
been there , done that
What is excessive slop? On my cars I would consider anything I could actually feel scary.Any slop seems to result in a harmonic shimmy at some speed (and at some sort of multiple).

Thanks D-
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
What is excessive slop? On my cars I would consider anything I could actually feel scary.Any slop seems to result in a harmonic shimmy at some speed (and at some sort of multiple).

Thanks D-
Good morning !

Well on the older hubs, there was quite a bit of rotation of the spindle
nut "the big nut that holds the hub on the spindle" between positions that the cotter key could be inserted. This would inevitably lead to having to decide whether to put some preload on the bearings or leave them a bit loose. My dear old Grandpa ,who was a heavy equipment mechanic for many years from the twentys forward and owned his own automotive shop during the great depression , taught me to go with a bit of looseness in the hub and never tighten them past the point of all the slop being gone. He was adamant in the belief that doing so would inevitably burn the bearings out. Remember this knowledge came from the era when autos and trucks
almost always had slop in the steering wheel and were herded down the road unlike modern stuff with tight responsive steering.
I personally used his method all my life on hubs and wheel bearings and usually always drove and pulled very old vehicles and trailers .
And I can say that never in my life have I had a wheel bearing fail on anything , ever.
I have gleaned enough information about the subject in later years to conclude that a bit of preload on bearings now days is perhaps preferable to loose bearings.
Most shops and manufactures are pretty stingy with the amount of grease they put in wheel bearings and hubs and I prefer to literally fill em up. Just me , but so far so good.
I did find a bad bearing on an old 40 something tandem axle trailer I went to bring home up in Colorado years ago . It would have fallen off on the way home had I just aired up the tires and left.
Have a safe trip !
Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
SA` , California
THanks ya, I seem to recall working on some 60's detroit iron. As I recall, the trick was hand tightening the nut till it was finger tight, than back it of to the first available cotter-pin hole alignment. Seemed to work though not exactly a precise driving exercise I've come to expect.

Guess I could regress and adapt.

-Did I ask, where do you find a suitable, reasonable lowboy hauler?

-Any place I could rent such a "low boy" trailer and haul it my self?

-Did some one say having a hauler is like $3 a mile?

Regards, D-