Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Gold Canyon , Arizona
New Trailer...800 miles...ProPride Intall

I'm new to the forum but have been a long-time reader and a classified browser. My wife and I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a new 2016 International Signature after not finding the right pre-owned unit for us. It's sitting at the dealer until springtime waiting for snow to melt and more favorable towing conditions. As part of the deal, we agreed to pick up the trailer - 800 miles away - figuring it would be a great shake down trip back to our more local AS dealer for any post-delivery "fixes" and warranty issues. I need advice.

I'm purchasing a ProPride 3P 1400 (done the research, read the reviews, compared other products, etc). I have 3 options for installation: 1) pick up the trailer and get it home with conventional drop hitch so I can self install; 2) do the install myself at the dealer; 3) have the dealer install.

TT is F350. I'm an experienced tower and mechanically competent.

"What say the Forum?" Thanks in advance.
Orondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England

Congrats!

As you say you're mechanically proficient, so my $0.02 is to install it at the dealer. Read the manual, make sure you have all the tools you need (including a 250# torque wrench). Sean is reachable by cell if you run in to any trouble.

The unofficial ProPride user thread in this forum provides extra insight. Since I've never seen a video of the actual install on YouTube, feel free to bring someone with you to record it for posting later! 😀

I believe most mechanically proficient people will say it takes a couple hours (I'm not one of them so my estimates have no value).

Good luck!
ON EDIT;

Be sure to ask Sean for the spacers for your WD jacks on the A-frame. He sent me a pair for free once I realized I didn't ask for them on the original order.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida

Howdy and welcome aboard. Congratulations on your new coach, and we wish you all the best with it!

To answer your question, my opinion is to have ProPride send you the hitch, unpack it, study it closely, read the book 3 times, take the tools you'll need and the hitch with you and put it on yourself.

I put the used ProPride we bought on our coach by myself with hand tools at our summer campground in central Florida in July! Took a couple of pool breaks and still got it done in a few hours.

Be prepared to add spacers under the propane tank mount to clear the jack bases, read the threads on AF about ProPrides, take your time, and you can do it. That way you'll understand the hitch completely, and you'll know how it was installed. It's worth the effort if you can physically handle it!

Hope this helps.

Edit: and no SteveSueMac and I didn't call each other before writing almost the same reply! 😏

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Thanks for the input. This is how I was leaning. I'll call Sean this week and chat before ordering then plan to install it myself as suggested. Appreciate people's quick responses.
Orondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

I found that having a floor jack and a bottle jack to assist lifting and holding parts in position was very useful.

Bring grease and a good grease gun. You will need it for maintenance on the road as well. Be sure to use grease that is good for wheel bearings and the like. Grease the hitch ball thoroughly as you assemble it. Bar ends also need grease where they pivot. Bring disposable gloves and old clothes, it can get messy. Look for the article about adding a grease fitting to the coupler to make it easy to grease it without dropping the hitch head. It's a good modification idea.

The instructions are comprehensive and work if you follow them carefully. My teenage daughter and I installed ours.

Use the settings in the manual as a starting point. A short drive test will let you know if you have transferred enough weight to your steer axle. I have to fine tune my WD jacks depending on how AS and TV are loaded to eliminate porpoising.

Once tuned up, the system really works well. Be very sure to very accurately center the bar that anchors the yoke, as it is critical to straight tracking.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orondo View Post
I'm new to the forum but have been a long-time reader and a classified browser. My wife and I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a new 2016 International Signature after not finding the right pre-owned unit for us. It's sitting at the dealer until springtime waiting for snow to melt and more favorable towing conditions. As part of the deal, we agreed to pick up the trailer - 800 miles away - figuring it would be a great shake down trip back to our more local AS dealer for any post-delivery "fixes" and warranty issues. I need advice.

I'm purchasing a ProPride 3P 1400 (done the research, read the reviews, compared other products, etc). I have 3 options for installation: 1) pick up the trailer and get it home with conventional drop hitch so I can self install; 2) do the install myself at the dealer; 3) have the dealer install.

I had the same decision in March 2016 when we picked up our new Classic.

We lived only 45 miles from the dealer so I just towed the coach home via ball/hitch. Later that day, my son and I installed the PP at home. Easy.

Given your 800 mile dealer-to-home distance, I would recommend self installing the PP in the dealer's lot. It is likely that the dealer doesn't have PP installation experience - if they do, they will likely charge you $700 to install. If you go the self-install route, I would call Sean at ProPride to make certain that he will be available for any consultation calls during the self-install.

There are some excellent PP installation videos on youtube. Finally, I think the self-install experience will benefit you as you will better know the PP's inner parts and workings.

Good luck. Safe travels.

Dennis
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think you could install it without the need for a floor jack by putting the ProPride stinger into the truck's receiver, slipping the ProPride hitch head onto the stinger, then backing the assembly up to the trailer A-frame for setting the hitch coupler onto it's ball (with the tongue jack), then bolting it on. I have't tried this, but think other members have?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Have the dealer install it free as part of the package
Only will take them three hrs
You can be checking out the trailer while they are installing it and checking it out
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
The Hensley isn't hard to install, if you're somewhat handy and have the needed tools.
And the ProPride is a mostly a Hensley knock-off, so shouldn't be a problem.

I was somewhat recently at the Seattle area dealer that it sounds like you are referring too - person I talked to had no knowledge of Hensley or ProPride - that may have changed, or, you be on your own.

Read the instructions front to back to be sure that you brought the needed tools - no doubt there are instruction videos available on youtube (there are for Hensley).

Press on regardless!
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinonedad View Post
Have the dealer install it free as part of the package
Only will take them three hrs
You can be checking out the trailer while they are installing it and checking it out
With your self description, I would highly recommend you install it yourself. Most dealers, and their service people don't have a clue how to install them, nor will they take the time to read how to. You'll end up redoing it anyway, might as well do it right the first time. They are a great hitch
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
Just picked up my 2017 25 FC from RVOne in Orlando. We live 1500 miles away. I wanted to shop the hitch right to them as it is heavy (we are over 60) and takes up a lot of space in TV when bringing all equipment and dog. The dealer installed it for an extra 195 while we did the demo and ate lunch. It took us 2 hours to hitch up the next day and I finally called Sean and he gave us some hints. He is always available and worth the price of the hitch. We are still dialing it in (but can now hitch up in about 5 min. ). To answer your question, install yourself if you have the time ( we did not). It is a great hitch.
Leslieotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Waterloo , Ontario
Install at dealer

Have the PP and did the install myself.

From your description, I'd agree with others. Don't be in a hurry, do it yourself.

There is something to be said for becoming familiar with the setup. I had one crazy situation last summer and because I was familiar the PP install, decided the easiest thing to do was remove the PP from my trailer for 5 minutes. Wasn't a big deal.

Good luck,

Richard
Rhinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orondo View Post

Nice golf course you have in town! I will be going through Orlando on our way to our Winthrop place a few times this winter. We bought our trailer in Sacramento and towed it to the Seattle AS dealer (bought it damaged on eBay and now restored). I decided on the Blue Ox hitch and installed it in Sacramento in 100 degree heat before heading out. Not hard but very hot! I know Hensley and Propride are the "gold standard" but with your F350 I think it is overkill! We have towed our 30' International with a RAM 1500 and Blue Ox and it is rock solid despite wind to 40 mph and big semi's with cross wind on 2 lane highways. I have pulled trailers, boats and driven truck campers for a couple hundred thousand miles at least and the Airstream is by far the most stable, easiest towing trailer I have dealt with. If you want to spend the money and the complications of the ProPride go ahead, but IMO it is overkill! Now if you had a 30' white box, I would have a different opinion!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I am looking at the Blue Ox to replace my Reese. Mainly for sway control. My TV is the Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi and I have added Sumo springs. My tongue weight is 1200 as weighed with a Sherline scale. Blue Ox jumps from 1000 bars to 1500 pound bars. Do you know what your bars are?

2007 International CCD 28'

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
All terrific advise. My suggestion is to watch the 3P install video, contact Sean for availability when installing at the dealer & hire an RV tech for an hours labor at the dealer to assist with your install. You pick the hour you need assistance. When considering the 3P weight, need for a torque wrench, distance home with a new A/S, you want to get it right the first time even with a mechanical background. Good Luck.
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Where is everyone seeing INSTALLATION videos? I've seen tons of description videos, comparison videos, hitching videos - but never an actual installation from boxes to first hitch...

If such an animal exists, could you post a link please and thank you? 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdrifter View Post
Nice golf course you have in town! I will be going through Orlando on our way to our Winthrop place a few times this winter. We bought our trailer in Sacramento and towed it to the Seattle AS dealer (bought it damaged on eBay and now restored). I decided on the Blue Ox hitch and installed it in Sacramento in 100 degree heat before heading out. Not hard but very hot! I know Hensley and Propride are the "gold standard" but with your F350 I think it is overkill! We have towed our 30' International with a RAM 1500 and Blue Ox and it is rock solid despite wind to 40 mph and big semi's with cross wind on 2 lane highways. I have pulled trailers, boats and driven truck campers for a couple hundred thousand miles at least and the Airstream is by far the most stable, easiest towing trailer I have dealt with. If you want to spend the money and the complications of the ProPride go ahead, but IMO it is overkill! Now if you had a 30' white box, I would have a different opinion!
Third time is the charm they say.
After screwing around with 2 different hitches over first two years I ditched them both for the Blue Ox. Talk about simple and effective. The best hitch for the money in HMO. Been using it going on two years, no regrets.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #18
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Hi Orondo did you check on Air safe Hitchs I mean you tow with a 350 like I do this hitch is the rated at 10000lbs just add air to level no bars to worry about there is no sway what so ever.Plus it babies you Airstream with a 350 no damage to rivets..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4373.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	277895
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that air hitch is interesting for sure. Looks like a nice deal and good way to dampen the effects of hitch. The anti sway look suspect.

the pro pride is more money but I feel its a better hitch.

Took me about 3 hrs by myself to install on my 2005 classic.. did have an issue with the LP gas line under frame so be prepared, also i remember had to move the 7 wire connection box under to point on battery box.

prepare for the unexpected and it will good good.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I am looking at the Blue Ox to replace my Reese. Mainly for sway control. My TV is the Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi and I have added Sumo springs. My tongue weight is 1200 as weighed with a Sherline scale. Blue Ox jumps from 1000 bars to 1500 pound bars. Do you know what your bars are?

2007 International CCD 28'

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I have the 1000 lb bars. My tongue weight is right around 1000 lbs depending on amount of propane etc. I go 8 links to level it, and I have thought of moving up to the 1500 lb bars.
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote