3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
2015 Grand Caravan

Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Why are you considering a one ton truck? Sounds like a 150 or 250 would be big enough. I don't like the ride in the heavier trucks. I have also heard the stiff suspension can be hard on the airstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 10-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you want a truck buy one like mine. Put airhitch on it with all air ride and buy your last truck first. Million mile motor with an Allison 3000 6 speed. Cummins diesel with a wet sleeve motor. 350 HP 1000 lbs torque. Never affraid of a mountain and have airbrake for down the hill. 11 mpg also
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
No More Fords for Me

My father got a new Ford every two years... and I have had a Ford in my Driveway for as long as I can remember.

Unfortunately in 1987, Rusty Eck Ford represented a Bronco as having a 302 automatic with overdrive. When I got it home, I read the owner's manual and found it had no overdrive. They wouldn't take it back.

That vehicle is the worst I ever owned even though I just sold it with 86K miles on it. No more Fords for me! I recently bought a Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 with the 5.7 gas engine to pull an '04 22 ft Airstream Safari (dual axle rated at 5600 loaded). My mechanic recommended the Toyota as the least problematic of the trucks, and he owned two to demonstrate his conviction.

I have been exceptionally happy. I know the truck magazines don't favor the Tundra, but going throught the tow vehicle parts of this forum shows a seriously happy set of Tundra owners... add me to the list.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #19
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
I am thinking of getting a new tow vehicle. My 2000 F250 7.3L that I have owned since new is a great rig, but I would like something a bit more modern. I will probably stick with Ford, as I have had great luck with them, and I am thinking a F350 crew cab this time. Here's the question...

Gas or diesel? I know how much power the diesel's have, but I wonder how long it is going to take to break even on the additional $8000+ expense. We tow a 2012 25' Flying Cloud that when loaded is in the 7,500 pound range, and a boat that is less than 5,000 pounds loaded. I also will probably keep a Four Wheel Grandby pop-up camper on the truck. It weighs around 1,800 pounds.

I'd really like to hear from the folks who are driving gassers that are similar to what I am thinking of. How's your climbing ability? What kind of mileage are you seeing? Do you like the ride?

Thanks in advance.

You've read through, by this time, plenty of feedback per your question. So maybe you're getting some pretty good impressions. Maybe not

Notwithstanding the projected 5.0 Cummins Nissan, you have three heavy-lights and one 1/2 ton turbo diesel to choose, three heavy-light gassers, and the remaining light duty gas pickups. They are ALL built to a competitive benchmark that makes any of them very capable when properly equipped. You will find the new turbo diesels with multi speed adaptive automatic transmissions superior to the International 7.3/4R100 four speed in terms of stink, noise, and performance. The 7.3, while virtuous, is an anchor compared to what your money will buy today.

I don't care about brands; they all look alike and are just as cuss-worthy while being serviced. Basically, my advice to anyone that asks is use a Costco membership to get the best price on the most truck you can afford to equip properly; they have a special on GM trucks now, which have the fine DMAX engine for oil, and very competent 6.2 for gas. Or USAA, which has a buying program that is good. Get what I'm saying? I work on the stuff, have since age 12, and it DOESNT much matter what brand, it's all about BUYING and EQUIPPING for towing duty. Get the numerically higher gear ratio with traction aids like locker or passive limited slip. Heavy duty shocks, integrated trailer brakes, compression or exhaust brake (diesel), "tow boss (Ford)" or trailering package, rear camera parking aid (oh God I'd take that ONE option over diesel any dad lol). Match your tow rig to what it is you're towing! The Ram website has a fairly intuitive tool that shows the interrelationship between GVWR, rated towing, and payload. It's ok, but not a replacement for knowing your actual tongue load, and remembering to factor that into the tow rigs payload rating.

If your still reading, good lord, you must be desperate!!!

The Current Ford diesel is an in house Ford design; previous units were IH sourced such as the school bus vintage 7.3. The GM unit is sourced through DMAX, and was a joint venture between Isuzu Heavy and General Motors Powertrain. The Ram used a Cummins B class inline six. For the most part, the transmissions mated to the above engines are much more up to the task of heavy towing (and dealing with massive torque) than the old 4R100/4L80/48R four speeds of the past. The axles, even in the lights, have probably twice the mass from equivalent units 20 years ago. The massive AAM 11.5 is an example of a monster rear axle that is standard in several of the diesel heavies today.

Ok, hope this helps and if in doubt about the truck you're looking at, walk away and ask more questions. That's always free.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Might the F350 be overkill even with the pop up camper? What additional stress will be transferred to the AS?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I have to laugh every time I see someone talking about "breaking even" when comparing diesel to gas, when they sell or trade the vehicle.

Seems to me that depreciation is something to be more concerned about than the cost differential between diesel and gas. There is no doubt that diesel has it's advantage over gas, even with the lower cost of gasoline.

One way to save a bit on the depreciation factor, is to find a truck that someone has had on a two year lease. Usually the mileage is low, the truck is like new, and you will save at least 1/3 the cost over new.

Of course, there are some people who have to have the latest, largest, etc., so they can do all the bragging around the campfire..

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Pick the trade-offs that are important to you. I would be surprised if you need a 1 ton for your towing needs with your trailer but it may be what you want (that's a trade-off). I disagree with the advice to buy the most truck that you can afford (and properly equip) there isn't a reason for this (for me). I could afford to properly equip a 1 ton - but I'm towing a 20 foot bambi - it totally is unnecessary for me to meet any safety standard with what I carry. I could also buy a bigger fancier house - but it doesn't interest me...
Old 10-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #23
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
OK, I've read through the comments, and thanks everyone.

First, why a truck? I've got two pickup campers. One a full size Caribou (Cariboo-boo by Fleetwood) that I still use, and two the popup that lives on the truck when the Cariboo-boo isn't there. That thing is about 3300 pounds dry. That's also my thinking for needing the one ton. I had to put airbags on the current F250. I've driven all three of the big guys, and I like the ride of the F350 best.

I am still debating which and whether, but when it gets down to jumping off the cliff, I think about how much money a new truck would cost, and I suddenly realize how very nice the 2000 F250 is. I bought it new in 1999, and just rolled 163,000 miles. The old beast has a lot of miles left on it. Besides, I can buy a lot of truck repairs and camera gear for $55-$65,000 bucks. I think I will just pour a bit of cash into the old beast and keep it. New padding for the upholstery, a new/rebuilt transmission when needed. I've already put the bigger Ford transmission oil cooler in it. And maybe a few odds and ends, like a good backup camera.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Repairing and upgrading the F250 for now is very sensible. Having made it this far, it's got to run forever.

Have you considered buying a new 1/2 ton for the 25 Flying Cloud at some point, while keeping the F250 for the pickup camper? If you can go that route (of course I am assuming that you don't use the pickup camper when towing the airstream), you would have a lot of much less expensive choices. A Tundra, for instance, would have no trouble with the 25FC, and their top-of-the-line 2wd is low $40's.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #25
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
Repairing and upgrading the F250 for now is very sensible. Having made it this far, it's got to run forever.

Have you considered buying a new 1/2 ton for the 25 Flying Cloud at some point, while keeping the F250 for the pickup camper? If you can go that route (of course I am assuming that you don't use the pickup camper when towing the airstream), you would have a lot of much less expensive choices. A Tundra, for instance, would have no trouble with the 25FC, and their top-of-the-line 2wd is low $40's.
The boss of me (my bride) says no more pickups in the driveway. I've got a Ranger as my run around rig. Maybe I should trade it for a F150 EcoBoost.