Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Read through it. Like it. Be interesting to see if most manufacturers buy into it. Can not do the test in the winter, I guess?. They must be testing now. Has anybody seen them? I guess it is hard to build a 12 mile long test hill so they picked one. Must be some reason for that choice. Doubt if aerodynamics will make a huge difference in these tests because of the low speeds. Not sure why they specified the lowest ratio avaliable? Seems like there should be allowance for different towing capacity for different axle ratios?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
here:
SAE International

They can explain it much better than I. I see they have a global presence now and do more than automotive. Didn't know that.
Thanks for the link it explains a lot.

Biggest problem is if not everyone buys into it. If I was any of the auto guys I would have wanted a say in it to buy into it. It doesn't mean anything if they all don't use it. It will be like it is now. Everyone with there own rules for tow capacities.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
There are countless examples of the auto industry buying into SAE standards for everything from oil viscosity to setting the shear specs for fasteners. SAE is the gold standard when it comes to setting specifications. I'd buy a TV based on SAE standards instead of those promoted by an ad agency or PR firm.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Specs HAVE to be based on worst case scenarios. Anyway, it is a Communist plot to fluoridate our Airstreams!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I know GM was an active participant in the development process. Pretty sure Ford and Toyota were too. I just haven't heard much about Ram in this process. Don't know where they stand.

Understand this isn't an "outside entity" like NHTSA or the EPA, etc. SAE members ARE part of the automakers engineering staffs. Of course there are SAE employees, but it is made up of the body of the engineers who are members. More experienced "senior" engineers serve on development committees.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
At least everyone is held to the same standards now. 1/2 ton trucks with over 10,000 tow ratings seems a little ridiculous. My old F350 would haul anything in the bed but it could not stop worth a darn.

My Excursion has a 4:30 Dana 80 rear end with a V10 and the same running gear and frame as the F250/350 but it is rated to tow less than an F150. Splain that to me Lucy.

Perry
Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
At least everyone is held to the same standards now. 1/2 ton trucks with over 10,000 tow ratings seems a little ridiculous. My old F350 would haul anything in the bed but it could not stop worth a darn.

My Excursion has a 4:30 Dana 80 rear end with a V10 and the same running gear and frame as the F250/350 but it is rated to tow less than an F150. Splain that to me Lucy.

Perry
For one thing, it is ungodly heavy, empty. Also any weak link in the system is the limiting factor. No clue what it is in an Excursion.
To a lesser extent, Surburban vs. Silverado 1500 is the same scenario.

Understand, Perry the automakers are not HELD to the same standard. This is a voluntary participation spec process. I don't think anyone wants to be the odd man out though. It would cast a negative shadow over the brand to some extent.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Highway Gradeability
To merit a particular TWR, a vehicle must be capable of maintaining a minimum cruising speed while climbing the grade at Davis Dam on state roads 68 and 163 in Arizona and Nevada. This 12-mile-long run originating in Bullhead City, Arizona, involves grades that vary between 3- and 7-percent with an average over 5-percent. During this test, the minimum acceptable ambient temperature is 100-degrees F. and AC systems must be operating on the maximum cold setting with no recirculation and the blower at the highest possible setting.

REALLY!!!! who comes up with this stuff???
They’re called “engineers”. Generally, these guys use alot of numbers, slide rulers, calculators and pictures, to come up with answers.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
When the 1/2 ton trucks were approaching 10,000 lb tow capacity I started viewing all tow ratings as skeptical. The other categories of vehicles I question by manufacturers is the mid size SUVs, like Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The one thing that will never change is RV dealers telling customers "oh yeah, you can tow this"....
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Not sure about those outrageous Tundra numbers you mentioned, but I do know that my 2011 Tundra 5.7l had already had the doorplate changed to reflect the coming new standards when I bought it last April.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Ok I may push the limits on this but the outrageous comments on the SAE and government plots fried my backside. As has been pointed out the SAE is an independent organization, has nothing to do with the government, and was formed to institute, guess what -Standards for the automotive industry to operate by. You don't need to be a registered professional engineer to join. I worked in the auto industry for 25 years and was a member from my college days.

As to comments about the testing at Davis Dam, it was picked because all the vehicle manufactures test on it! At least the US manufacturers did before I left the auto industry and started my own engineering business. It is the standard hill to pull, with or without trailers while checking cooling, lubricating temps, ECM calibrations etc. All the companies have data on it.

Hope this helps and not offends.

Rick
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Crisen, thanks for your input. I, for one appreciate it.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As a government employee I have to say that I am just too damn busy ripping off the taxpayers to put this much work into something so utterly useful.

Thanks for the big slam, mate.

mike
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
As a government employee I have to say that I am just too damn busy ripping off the taxpayers to put this much work into something so utterly useful.

Thanks for the big slam, mate.

mike
Too funny