Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
He would be overloaded by well over 1000lbs without passengers in your second scenario once you add the trailer tongue weight doug k.

You also never factor in a weight savings to payload from the weight distributed to the trailer axles as the trailer ball just becomes a fulcrum.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We had an F-150 with the 3.55 rear and it sucked big time for towing. If you never go up any mountains, you will be fine, but on any 1/2 ton pickup, IMHO the 3.73 or 4.10 is the only way to go. Also, if I were you, I would also add a Firestone airbag rear spring helper with external compressor to level your load and have better control. Not saying you can't get by with a 3.55 but instead of getting better mileage, you will get less as you will have your foot in the pedal more than not. The 5.4 gas engine and tranny is a great combination, but the 3.55 still sucks IMHO.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Another way to think about it, which is a better handling F150?

One with 1,200# in the bed with no trailer attached (as it is designed to do).

Or one with 1,300# in the bed with an Airstream attached, and a weight distribution hitch distributing that weight among the two truck axles and the trailer axles.

doug k
In a hurry today, let me try that again.

Or one with 1,300# combined bed and tongue weight . . .

The point I'm trying to make is we concern ourselves so much about tongue weight and payload. But even at the max load we have a better handling truck with a weight distribution hitch/Airstream, than the non-trailering truck at max load in the bed. The mfg weight recommendations only indicate they are equal, but in an emergency lane change, which is better?

I have done this with the Airstream attached and it just followed, little drama. Haven't tried the same maneuver with a fully loaded truck, no trailer, don't think I would want to.

So if I'm within payload allowance, I don't see a problem. Who needs to bring that parakeet anyway.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am looking at future alternatives to the current TV and one that has occupied my time the last week or so is a King Ranch model F150 with EcoBoost V6 short bed and a 3.73 rear end and Max towing package. The turbo charged engine would produce full power at all elevations, so towing through the mountains would not be negatively impacted by power degradation due to elevation like non turbocharged gasoline engines. The EcoBoost torque rating in foot pounds is slightly more than my current turbocharged diesel generates but at a higher rpm. My existing Hensley hitch would be used. The specs from Ford documentation are summarized:

3,206 pounds factory front axle curb weight
2,481 pounds rear axle factory curb weight
5,687 pounds factory curb weight
36 gallon gasoline tank (36 x 6.2 lbs/gal = 234 pounds)

11,300 pounds trailer weight towing capacity
17,100 GCW pounds total vehicle and trailer weight

GAWR front 3,900 pounds
GAWR rear 4,050 pounds
7,650 pounds truck GVW
1,900 pounds truck payload

What is interesting about that payload number is that it must be decreased by the weight of all the factory installed options. A technical bulletin suggested 427 pounds in options and accessories weight for this model. The weight of gasoline is NOT mentioned as being either part of the curb weight or part of the payload.

I took the difference in weight between the scale ticket weight of the loaded car with loaded trailer attached and the scale weight of the car with only me but without the trailer and came up with about 1,300 pounds (including me) to add to the truck load.

The 25FB has a GVW of 7,300 pounds which is less than the maximum trailer towing weight. The combined weight of the truck and trailer GVW weights of 14.950 pounds is less the maximum combined towing weight limit.

The challenge occurs in defining payload. Subtracting the allowance (which may be too much without the actual build sheet for the specific truck) for options and current trailer load from the existing TV leaves a balance of 183 pounds of payload. If the weight of the gasoline must be added into the payload weight, my situation would be overloaded by 47 pounds.

Using the factory curb weight plus the options allowance and adding in gasoline, one would have 3 pounds of payload left.

The hope was to be able to carry future generator(s) and their gasoline and perhaps a small ladder to reach the awning locks on the trailer in the bed of a pickup. If the gasoline is in the base weight of the truck, I would have around 183 pounds to use for those items. Otherwise, this vehicle could be maxed out or overweight for any towing event.

The F150 could provide a softer suspension ride as far as the Airstream would be concerned. It also would be more comfortable ride for a daily vehicle without trailer and would definitely get better mileage than a larger truck.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
All the reasons you wrote above is why I moved up to a 3/4 ton truck this year. I could not carry all the stuff I wanted in a 1/2 ton. On a crew cab I think you will find the payload somewhat less than than a standard cab or extended.
A full fuel tank is included in the curb weight.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Be careful or you'll wind up looking like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00100020 (Small).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	175917  
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Lots of folks here recommending the ProPride or Hensley hitch and, while they are both reportedly excellent products, they are also very heavy. Since you'll be on the high side on payload, you might want to look at an Anderson or a Reese Dual Cam -- both much lighter and both have lots of fans on this forum.

I have pulled my 31' Sovereign about 50000 miles over the past 7 years with a 1/2 ton Nissan Titan. No problems, no complaints. You do end up in the granny lane sometimes doing 45 in third gear on your basic Rocky Mountain uphill, but it is such a small percentage of your total miles that it is a non-burden.

Big thing is get out there and have fun. There is always something neat over the next horizon.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Weights....

switz,

Take the Factory published weights with a grain of salt....both Airstream AND tow vehicle....

Our TV in factory fantasy land......
CURB WEIGHT
5269 lbs.
CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE
45.7 cu.ft.
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY
131.6 cu.ft.
** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.

In reality....

Same goes for tongue weight....
Airstream specs.....860lbs

Reality, loaded.....

Much better to have more than I need, than need more than I have.

BTW...the pub curb# is fine w/me, dmv 'ya know.

Bob
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, is that the tongue weight with a Hensley installed?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Greetings W1icu, I would suggest you purchase the Ford controller as it integrates into the truck system providing anti-sway and other features. I did and am happy with it. The dealer has to activate it as it ties into your anti-lock system. They may charge for it but I was not charged. I installed it and hooked it up. They did the rest. The readout is on the dash too.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Take the Factory published weights with a grain of salt....both Airstream AND tow vehicle....
Exactly, I believe you will be fine with your selection if your truck is equipped with what you say. I have an '09 F150 SuperCrew with a 4.6L 3V HO/same tranny- 6 speed. I have pulled only in FL so far. It has a 1548 payload (Ford includes gas in the truck weight BTW) and a 3.55 rear. It does fine. Basically around 20 hp less than the 5.0. I DID find that there were two renditions of the 4.6L with quite different power ratings. Anyway, I towed my 25' through a tropical storm swirling headwind this summer that was swaying semi-trailers on the road. The engine was running higher RPMs but it was fine. Several on here have told me about the mountains and towing. My thought is lower gears and slower moves. The point is that it will do it. My tongue weight is almost 1000 lbs. with full LPs and it is listed as 860 lbs by Airstream. If I go over on payload 100 pounds per se at some point, no worries but I would not exceed if at all possible as a rule of thumb. I have found that most of the newer F150s exceed my payload rating. (the ones I have looked at which I believe is due to the engine changes from year to year)
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Bob, is that the tongue weight with a Hensley installed?

doug k
Yes...the trailer is loaded for a "dock'n" trip, LPG, full FW, everything except DW's trip to the stupid market, (don't underestimate what 14 daze worth of food weighs ).

Bob
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We have been towing our 1987 25' Soveriegn with a 2001 F150 S crew with a 5.4 and a 3.55 gear. We have towed about 10,000 in the last two years. Been through the Tennese mountians twice and it did a fine job. Just got done replaceing the worn out Reese straight line hitch with an Andersen hitch, also replaced the coupler with a new Quickbite coupler, the old one was really worn. You should do fine, just remember that just because the speed limit is 65,70,75, or more does nt mean that you have to go that fast, just keep it at or above the minimum.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote