Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
New owners in need of towing suggestions

Hi Airstream wizards!
We are the new proud owners of a 62 Globe Trotter, our first Airstream (or any type of RV/trailer for that matter).
Our predicament is, the GT is located in Tucson and we are in Chicago. We are looking for suggestions or ideas for getting this back to Chicago within the next couple weeks. The only vehicle we own is a Mini Cooper.
Excited to be part of this awesome forum!
Alicia&Scott

Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Welcome, neighbor.
There are some services which will tow your trailer for you. New trailer delivery folks on a deadhead return trip for example. You could also check with your local auto dealer for contacts at the Chicago Auto Auction. There are dozens of delivery folks leaving there everyday with car haulers (flat bet type) who might have deadhead return trips.
Check the classifieds on this forum.
Check classifieds on RV.net.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Mini Coop

Besure and send me a picture of your car pulling the Airstream....You know the saying, A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS...welcome to the forum...And good luck with your trailer, I know you are both excited....Good luck.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Alicia & Scott,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase.

dznf0g has suggested a number of services that will move your trailer for a fee, if that is what you have in mind.

Some people in your situation have found it cost effective to rent a small U-haul or similar moving van and using it for the tow home. You would want to compare prices carefully as this may prove expensive.

You may also find that it is cost effective to purchase a used pickup truck in Tuscon and then sell it in Chicago when you get home. If you have the ready cash to make this work and are comfortable with these sorts of deals it can be inexpensive since used trucks from Arizona are worth more in Chicago.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Alicia & Scott,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase.

dznf0g has suggested a number of services that will move your trailer for a fee, if that is what you have in mind.

Some people in your situation have found it cost effective to rent a small U-haul or similar moving van and using it for the tow home. You would want to compare prices carefully as this may prove expensive.

You may also find that it is cost effective to purchase a used pickup truck in Tuscon and then sell it in Chicago when you get home. If you have the ready cash to make this work and are comfortable with these sorts of deals it can be inexpensive since used trucks from Arizona are worth more in Chicago.
I like the buy a truck and sell it here idea, but don't sell IN Chicago. Come out my way (40 - 50) miles from the loop. I think you'd have better luck with commercial AND farm buyers competing for the used stuff.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Hi guys! Congrats on the trailer! If you're going to pull it or have it pulled just make sure everything is in good (new) order for towing (axles, tires, brakes ect). If it has the original axles on it I would say the best bet is to put it on a flatbed and tow it home. If the axles are bottomed out from age it could actually do damage to the trailer. Just my two cents from towing my 74 100 miles at a very slow speed because of those worries.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Hi, due to the fact that an old trailer might need tires, brakes, axles, lights, and/or wheel bearings, it would be best to flatbed it to your location; Unless you know that all of this stuff is up to Parr. Good Luck.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
The Barret-Jackson car auction will be taking place in Scottsdale AZ the week of the 15th of Jan. I have no idea if it's feasible, but me thinks that there would be a lot of vehicle transporters in the area at that time. Might be worth looking into.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Congratulations on your Globetrotter! I'd have to agree with :
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, due to the fact that an old trailer might need tires, brakes, axles, lights, and/or wheel bearings, it would be best to flatbed it to your location; Unless you know that all of this stuff is up to Parr. Good Luck.
Our '64 Globetrotter needed tires and the split rims replaced, I had the brakes and bearings done and then we just got a new axle. You're going to tow it a long way, and it would be a good and wise investment to get that work done first before traveling if there is any question of roadworthiness.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks for all the great suggestions so quickly. Thought I'd add some more details that I may have left out in our excitement to post.

1. Duly noted on the axle and wheels. We' re planning on putting new tires on before leaving AZ
2. Is there a way to visually inspect the axle and look for damage or excessive wear? Are there any recommended airstream garages or mechanics in Tucson area?
3. Our plan is to drive it back to Chicago, slowly...taking 3-4 days and make a mini-vacation out of the trip. So that said, we're looking for ALL good ideas to "obtain" (e.g. rent, buy, borrow, lease, steal... OK not that last one) a vehicle to bring it back with?

Scott & Alicia
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
The way to check the axles is to look at the angle of them, down away from the frame. They are torsion axles and with age the rubber that gives them the suspension gets old and stops providing suspension. The wheels ride high inside the wheel wells. If the suspension is totally gone there is a chance you could actually shear off rivets from the impact of the bumps being transfered directly to the trailer and skin. Not only that, if there is rust damage you can't see, the lack of suspension will put more strain on those already weakened parts. There are a few places and posts that have visual inspection guidelines, I'll post when I can track them down.
The other option is to contact members on here that live where your trailer is who will go inspect it out of the kindness of their hearts.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Good luck with the journey. I wonder if you can rent a pickup with a hitch, with a one-way drop off? Once you get it home, you'll be happy with your choice- I love our Globetrotter, big enough for two but not difficult to tow or maneuver. Where in Chicaogoland are you? I'm hoping to take our Globetrotter next year on my annual summer visit to family in Lake Bluff.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Welcome! And don't try this at home!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Scott & Alicia, It is nice to see a young couple getting into the Airstreaming life style. With proper planning and preparation, you should have a nice vacation and get acquainted with it on you way back to Chicago. Northern Illinois has an active chapter of WBCCI and we invite you to look at our website (Northern Illinois ) and schedule a time you can come out and meet with us. I run the website and my contact information is there. We are in Florida for the winter, but hope to personally meet with you in the spring.