Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

1980 31' Excella II
los angeles , California
New Member and Have some questions...

Hello, Me and my wife are new owners of a 1980 31' Airstream and are currently figuring out how to have it moved form New Orleans, LA to Wilmington, NC. We do know that we have to buy new tires for the Unit and would like to know about how much that would cost? Also should we rent a vehicle to tow? and what kind of vehicle to rent. Also is there an option of having someone tow it to NC for us? Please help and thank you!
Josh J.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I have not personally had the need to use this website, but it has been recommended to me a number of times if you need someone to move a vehicle/boat/rv/motorcycle for you.

Basically you list your job and you receive bids from multiple companies and/or individuals for the job.

Cheap RV Shipping & Transport! Find RV Movers and Save!

You may be able to rent a vehicle to tow with, but my experience is that this can be somewhat challenging, since you can't really specify a vehicle with a receiver. Then there is the whole issue of temporarily installing a break controller....

Best of luck!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Figure $150 per tire. Make sure you get LT (light truck) or ST (special trailer) tires.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There are a lot of questions that need to be brought up. Has this trailer been on the road recently ??? If it has been stationary for a long period a lot need to be inspected and serviced to be sure it's road worthy especially for a trip as long as you need. For example, brakes, bearings, road lighting among other things. If you plan to travel with it this would all need to be done anyway but certainly before towing. Other option is to have it loaded on a lowboy trailer and towed to NC. You're talking $$$$ in either case. If your plan is to make it a stationary unit that may be a reasonable option rather than upgrading all the running gear. Now, if it's a trailer that has been on the road in it's recent life you may still need to inspect all those functions but they should only need some maintenance and still be road worthy.

Good luck with your plans. Hope all goes well and you have a unit that meets or exceeds your needs.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote