Old 01-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Sounds like you need a better towing F250 diesel not a lighter JEEP Gladiator.

tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRizzuti View Post
Oops, forgot to mention my F-150 is the 5.0L. I donít know what the tongue weight is, but yes, it has the towing package. Like I said, though, it does fine on the flats. Itís only on the steep ascents and descents that it struggles. Oh sure, I can punch it to the floor going up, or drop it to second gear going down, but I worry about the rpmís when the truck is screaming over 5k.

Did I read one of the posts correctly that the Gkadiator has the same 4-cyl motors as the newer F-150ís?
Couple comments; no, not same 4-cyl in F150 and the Jeep. The Ford smaller 4-cyl is an turbo powered Echoboost...you don't want that engine if your planning on towing a reasonable sized AS...get the 6cyl EB engine...you will be happy.

Your comment on the 5.0 leader is still puzzling; but perhaps the rear end gearing, as someone here mentioned, is the wrong size; that can certainly affect your speed/ability when towing.

Both the 5.0 and 6cyl EB engines in the newer F-150s, also now offer the 10 speed transmission so you should get excellent performance with plenty torque/hp pulling your AS no matter which rear end it has. But to be sure, get the tow/haul package. The electronics in the newer F150's when in tow/haul mode, will help keep you very comfortable going up/down mountains with your AS.

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Ludlow Falls , Ohio
I'm towing my 2018 AS 22' Sport with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 v-6 and it does very good.
whbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #18
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
My Ford is 4-wheel drive and has the 3.73 axle ratio. I really appreciate all your replyís. The only reason Iím considering the Gladiator is because I really like the looks, itís more unique (thereís hundreds of F-150ís in our town) and Iím thinking itís maybe a more-maneuverable daily driver.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Quote:
My Ford is 4-wheel drive and has the 3.73 axle ratio. I really appreciate all your replyís. The only reason Iím considering the Gladiator is because I really like the looks, itís more unique (thereís hundreds of F-150ís in our town) and Iím thinking itís maybe a more-maneuverable daily driver.

Another thing to remember is the Gladiator's box is very small and not deep.......If your like me and you carry all kinds of goodies in your box you may miss the F150 bigger box. When I bought my f150 I got the scab to have a bigger box even though I would of preferred the 4 full doors.
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by njaspers View Post
Jeep's Gladiator page shows 7,650# towing capacity with 1,600# payload. That is a pretty healthy payload they're bragging about!
The specs say 1600# payload? I would challenge that with the one on the door sticker for Payload...bet you it ain't 1600# But, surprise me...send us a picture....would be great if it was.

OP- With a 22', your likely going to be fine towing with either one, but given your comments about the F150 V8 sluggish up/down mountain highways...I would try the Jeep out in similar conditions and then drive your F150 on same roads...if you can do it pulling your AS, even better, but I would be very surprised to see the Jeep outpull the F150 V8 when pulling your 22'. Looking forward to your selection and what you find out.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't think you would be worsening your towing challenges, but you won't likely be making them better, apart from the fact that the smaller box will encourage travelling lighter.

The Gladiator is more of a midsize platform, so similar to the upcoming Ranger. Should be easier to park around town.

One thing to consider is that much of your towing may be at higher elevations. Any naturally aspirated engine is going to lose power at elevation. The Ecoboost, or a turbocharged Jeep engine, will see less power degradation due to elevation.

I think the Gladiator would be a good match to the Sport 22, it is just that you will likely have to use a greater portion of the full rpm band, and that may be what you don't like about your current V8.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Oops, forgot to mention my F-150 is the 5.0L. I donít know what the tongue weight is, but yes, it has the towing package. Like I said, though, it does fine on the flats. Itís only on the steep ascents and descents that it struggles. Oh sure, I can punch it to the floor going up, or drop it to second gear going down, but I worry about the rpmís when the truck is screaming over 5k.

Did I read one of the posts correctly that the Gkadiator has the same 4-cyl motors as the newer F-150ís?
It reads to me like this is more a problem of perceived inadequacy, rather than actual inability. Many gas motors will need to rev to make power when climbing. Some more than others. Turbo gassers, may improve the perception (like turbo diesels), as they make more mid-range power lessening the need to rev.

There's a population of people that are afraid of revs. Said another way, they like the idea of HP, but only know how to drive torque. Perhaps it comes form the olden days of less reliable vehicles where they regularly broke and overheated when pushed. Trust that if your Ford is in a good state of health and maintenance, it's been validated to pull the load. Let her rev and reap the rewards.

Diesels don't work less hard. People just perceive them to work less hard as they work with much higher boost and combustion pressures, rather than RPM. They absolutely are stressed, and stressed hard. Much harder than gassers which is why they need to be so overbuilt and heavy.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #23
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
It reads to me like this is more a problem of perceived inadequacy, rather than actual inability. Many gas motors will need to rev to make power when climbing. Some more than others. Turbo gassers, may improve the perception (like turbo diesels), as they make more mid-range power lessening the need to rev.

There's a population of people that are afraid of revs......
Agreed. The 2014 5.0 made peak hp at 5500 rpm. If you want to pull rated hp, that is how fast the engine will be spinning. It can certainly do it, that is what it was designed for, but one alternative is to back off and enjoy the scenery at something closer to 3500 rpm.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
Just wondering - your f150 does have the tow package right? My 2009 f150 with 116,000+ miles on it has no issue pulling our 2014 25í fc.

Also, consider overall reliability .
..flat land in Florida...sealevel
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post

There's a population of people that are afraid of revs. Said another way, they like the idea of HP, but only know how to drive torque. Perhaps it comes form the olden days of less reliable vehicles where they regularly broke and overheated when pushed. Trust that if your Ford is in a good state of health and maintenance, it's been validated to pull the load. Let her rev and reap the rewards.

Diesels don't work less hard. People just perceive them to work less hard as they work with much higher boost and combustion pressures, rather than RPM. They absolutely are stressed, and stressed hard. Much harder than gassers which is why they need to be so overbuilt and heavy.
Heavy? My cummins will pull down to 1000 rpm....computer changes the timing, less fuel...just pulls..just like the 500 hp cat in my Kenworth....stressed?...lol..my kw has 1.4 million and still doing good...never been apart either...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Heavy? My cummins will pull down to 1000 rpm....computer changes the timing, less fuel...just pulls..just like the 500 hp cat in my Kenworth....stressed?...lol..my kw has 1.4 million and still doing good...never been apart either...
Yes, heavy. That is not opinion. That is objective fact that diesel drivetrains are heavy. Upwards of 2x heavier than gasser drivetrains, weighing in at ~1000 lbs.

Heavy and overbuilt can be good things. Yet also bad. Namely bad for dynamic handling and braking.

Those are again, facts. Not anecdotes like a commercial Kenworth having anything to do with your consumer truck. I know some of you have a hard time understanding the difference between fact and opinion. Or how there are pros and cons to everything.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I pull a 28’ AS with 2017 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmission. One of the things the new transmission allows for is a flatter horsepower curve over the rpm range. In other words you get more horsepower at the lower rpms due to the increase in torque and the way it is geared. I know the Jeep looks cool, but “cool” may also not have good resale. But I do think the Jeep equipped with the diesel would do just fine with your 22’ AS.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, the new Ford Ranger has a four cylinder engine, but I never seen or heard of a four cylinder engine in an F-150. New GM trucks have a 2.7 L four cylinder in their trucks.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote