Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,751
Images: 33
What a Splendid Thread!

Never has a Forum Member asked a question, analyzed the responses, and captured their meaning so coherently in such a succinct summary!
You cannot image how good this makes me feel!

P.S. If you look at my earlier post, you will see that it took me 9 years and three marginal tow vehicles to figure out what you have learned in two days. I was always trying to balance my needs for a daily driver and my needs for a tow vehicle. I now have a truck that gets 19 mpg around town, 22 mpg on the interstate at 75 mph, and 15 mpg towing my Airstream at 65 mph.
Since it is a crew-cab with a short bed, I have the same seating as my Suburban (with the third seat folded up for dog crates), and the truck still fits in my garage.
__________________

__________________
Ken L
1966 Tradewind 24
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
 
2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 343
Images: 3
This has been a great topic for me since I'm in the same situation. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on an International Signature 28. After lots of thoughts on the truck, I'm probably going to go with an F150 crew short box with the Ecoboost. The tow capacity is well within the range of the 28, payload for the truck is 1900 pounds with the max tow package. The truck will become a daily driver for us and just don't want to go to the additional size and the ride of a 3/4 ton. Tough decisions but I think this is appropriate for my situation. I'm still deciding on the hitch. My dealer feels a Reese Dual Cam is very appropriate with this setup but I'm also seriously considering a Propride instead.
__________________

__________________
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,751
Images: 33
Great Choice, HeadWest!

The Ecoboost drivers are saying great things about its towing capabilities up to and including the Airstream 28'.
Your dealer is correct and now you know he is also honest.
The Reese Dual-Cam Sway Control is a delightful hitch. I have enjoyed them on my Airstream Safari 27' and my Airstream Sovereign 31'.
An unscrupulous dealer might have tapped into your insecurities as a driver new to towing and sold you a much more expensive hitch that you really don't need.
There's a lot of that going around.
__________________
Ken L
1966 Tradewind 24
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
This has been a great topic for me since I'm in the same situation. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on an International Signature 28. After lots of thoughts on the truck, I'm probably going to go with an F150 crew short box with the Ecoboost. The tow capacity is well within the range of the 28, payload for the truck is 1900 pounds with the max tow package. The truck will become a daily driver for us and just don't want to go to the additional size and the ride of a 3/4 ton. Tough decisions but I think this is appropriate for my situation. I'm still deciding on the hitch. My dealer feels a Reese Dual Cam is very appropriate with this setup but I'm also seriously considering a Propride instead.
You might want to think about adding the max payload package to.

I would also give the ProPride serious consideration.
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Naw....them 3p's and haha's are only preferred by unscrupulas dealers and dissed by folks who have never toed with 'em.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Naw....them 3p's and haha's are only preferred by unscrupulas dealers and dissed by folks who have never toed with 'em.

Bob
Bob,

What did you just say?
The two halves of the sentence don't see to me to go together.
Is that a pro or con PPP hitch statement?

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Bob,

What did you just say?
The two halves of the sentence don't see to me to go together.
Is that a pro or con PPP hitch statement?

Ken
Ken,

Carefully consider.....

What I if told you...
I can explain it, but I can't understand for you.
What I if told you...
you can't read.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,751
Images: 33
Don't Feel Bad Ag&Au...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ken,

Carefully consider.....

What I if told you...
I can explain it, but I can't understand for you.
What I if told you...
you can't read.

Bob
It's a bit like understanding the salesman explain why you need a PP or a HA HA
__________________
Ken L
1966 Tradewind 24
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Bob,

What did you just say?
The two halves of the sentence don't see to me to go together.
Is that a pro or con PPP hitch statement?

Ken
sarcasm.
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 72
So, what make a 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton???? My present truck is a 1997 F150 and when we bought it we could not get it in 3/4 with the crew cab and 8' bed. So, we had a extra leaf spring put in since we were hauling a pop up camper in the bed and pulling a horse trailer with 2 horses plus tack. I have no idea what my weights were, but it seemed to work.
Still have the truck and looking at a 25' AS and a different TV this spring or summer.

Just came back from the Kansas City RV show. Bill Thomas RV in Wentzville, MO has a used 2011 25'FB for 55k. Based on the 12% depreciation per year, I'm thinking a 51,500 price may be in the ballpark. Thats based on a 2013 25' they have on their website.

Stan
__________________
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,751
Images: 33
This time of year, I suspect you can do a tad better than $51,500; but in the spring they will have folks standing in line to buy it.
Make sure to take a checklist and test all the components.
Make 'em put new tires on it, or use the fact that it has original tires to help get you to a lower purchase price. No matter how good the tread looks, those tires need replacing.
Same with batteries, they only last 3 years unless carefully maintained. If it's been sitting on a sales lot, they likely haven't been maintained. So, even if they have 'em charged up, they will likely need replacing later this year.
Offer $49,000
As for what makes a 1/2 a 3/4; you will be "okay" pulling a 25' as long as you are careful not to fill up that 8' foot bed with tool boxes, your wife's sewing machine, and all her back issues of Horse and Rider. You will be able to maintain 60 mph on the interstate, and you will be in the right hand lane with the truckers going up the 7% grades in the mountains; but you will do okay. And you won't have to buy a new truck!
__________________
Ken L
1966 Tradewind 24
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA640316 View Post
So, what make a 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton???? My present truck is a 1997 F150 and when we bought it we could not get it in 3/4 with the crew cab and 8' bed. So, we had a extra leaf spring put in since we were hauling a pop up camper in the bed and pulling a horse trailer with 2 horses plus tack. I have no idea what my weights were, but it seemed to work.
Still have the truck and looking at a 25' AS and a different TV this spring or summer.

Just came back from the Kansas City RV show. Bill Thomas RV in Wentzville, MO has a used 2011 25'FB for 55k. Based on the 12% depreciation per year, I'm thinking a 51,500 price may be in the ballpark. Thats based on a 2013 25' they have on their website.

Stan
I would start by offering $40,000 (you can go up not down), you can get a new 2012 25' for $56,560-$64,000 depending on trim level. So if it's the flying cloud trim level start with $56,560 subtract $6,560 for not being new, then your 12% and get $44,000 for a good price. If it is a higher trim level $50,000 might not be bad.

Colonial currently has the price of $56,560 listed for this 25FB flying cloud.
Colonial Airstream NJ - 2012 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Headwest, great truck choice, the little engine that acts like a diesel, but on gasoline prices, and well-matched to your Airstream.

The Propride/Hensley hitches are in a league of there own, no sway concerns.

doug k
__________________
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member
 
RUMSHIP's Avatar
 
1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 325
Images: 16
The Eco boost engine seems to be providing many with a good reliability off the line. Only time will tell how that little, as you say, engine survives the test of time with two turbos pulling on it. Diesels have proven to be superior for hauling and towing. Just not everyone wants to put up the cash up front. No disrespect, just saying. Now go camping and enjoy.
__________________

__________________
Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher Johnson McCandless
2/12/68 - 8/18/92
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.