Old 11-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky

2) On the anti-sway issue that's where it gets overwhelming. Everyone has a different take. Sounds like I could get away without it and possibly never have an issue, BUT, I'm a very safety conscious guy and don't want to wait to encounter a bad situation. Can I just get away with a setup using these two items? Do I have to get the whole elaborate $500 deal? CURT 45820 Sway Tab Ball Mount: CURT: Automotive

@richw46 My username comes from my historical interest in old abandoned railroad tunnels.

Interesting hobby, abandoned railroad tunnels, but I'll stick with fishing.

I don't know about the two items on Amazon, no experience. The only WD/Anti-sway hitch I've ever used is the Equalizer. It makes a big difference on having the 4Runner and trailer level. The 10K version is on Amazon for $376, from Camper RV Supply.

Have you hitched up to your 4Runner with the standard frame hitch? Is the rig level? TV and AS should be as close to level with the ground as possible. How does it tow on the Interstate around a lot of semis?

You have a lot of money invested in the rig, an even bigger investment in family. I wouldn't go cheap on safety. Your rig might pull fine without a WD/Anti-sway hitch but how will it handle in an emergency situation? How about high winds when crossing a bridge across an open span or among a bunch of semis with a cross wind?

For me, I had pulled boats and U-Hauls for many years. This AS was very different but with this hitch it sits level and handles very well with cross winds, truck traffic, turns, etc. It's that warm fuzzy feeling so I can enjoy the trip without white knuckles.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I have an Equalizer on my 16'. But don't go with the 10,000. That's what I started with and it was too stiff for the 3,500lb Bambi. I downgraded/upgraded to the 6,000 lb and it's a much better tow experience.

Salt Lake City

spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Huntsville , Alabama
I also use the equalizer on my 16'. The 6000 pound bars was recommended by the dealer that installed it. I have been pleased with it. They do make one with 4000 pound bars I don't know what the towing difference would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Ron A is offline   Reply With Quote