Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Have a look at the many, many hitch threads, gather all the opinions, then make a reasoned choice that fits your situation.

I have a somewhat light truck, tow in the mountains in California, and really, really hate any signs of sway. My choice was a ProPride because it did not require drilling holes in the A-frame and is an improved Hensley design. Many have reported success with Equalizer systems. Make a careful decision, because experimenting can get expensive. An out-of-control sway situation even more so....
I think im leaning on the propride. I guess my next question(s) is
Easy to install (can i do it myself/recommended)??
Maintain?
Best place to buy (online)?
Is there a specific model for my type of trailer?

Thank you
on the fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the fly View Post
Hello Friends,

I'm new to the forum and airstream. I will be buying a new 2017 flying cloud 25' FB this week. I will be towing with a 2017 f-250 platinum. The manual says it comes with trailer sway control. My specific question getting started is that it is my understanding that a sway bar (like a propride 3 that i see people talking about) is a good idea. Would someone be so kind and guide me on what to get etc. please? I'm not picky as long as its quality and does what its supposed to do. Is this something worth investing in? Which one?
I would like an easy and safe WD and sway control system (do i need sway control if my vehicle has that already)?
Thank you in advance.
Congrats on your new TT. You're ahead of the game by seeking advice, but keep an open mind. As you've already seen, there are any number of owners who will tell you a weight distribution hitch and sway control are essential to happy trailering. Don't believe it.
First of all, keep in mind, Ford has spent a truckload on perfecting the sway control features of your truck. Its not a single system. The latest version is a combination of interrelated subsystems that work together to provide excellent sway control. As sensitive as automotive companies are to legal liability and lawsuits, do you think they would risk putting statements or advice in their manual if there was any question about its effectiveness or reliability?
As far as weight distribution is concerned, its more a matter of your own experience with trailer towing and how you load your TV and TT. Remember, your truck is designed to carry a heavy load on its rear axle. Depending on how much extra weight you plan to carry in the bed of your truck and how you load it, a WDH may not be necessary. In fact, shifting too much weight off the rear axle and onto the front "axle" with a WDH can be deleterious to the steering components.
If you decide a straightforward WDH (w/o sway control) is something that fits the needs of your unique situation; again, do as your Ford manual states and be very careful in setting up the tension on the bars. A poorly adjusted WDH could be harmful and possibly dangerous.
My suggestion before you plunk down hundreds of dollars on a possibly unneeded contraption that's a pain to hook up each time you tow, take your new TT out on the road for a try...then decide. I towed my trailer for more than a thousand miles before buying additional equipment.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the fly View Post
I think im leaning on the propride. I guess my next question(s) is
Easy to install (can i do it myself/recommended)??
Maintain?
Best place to buy (online)?
Is there a specific model for my type of trailer?

Thank you

Installation takes about 4 hours if you follow the instructions. The "may not have in the tool box" items you need are a 150 lb torque wrench and I think a 1 1/4 inch socket (bigger than a 1 inch). If you can read instructions and are mechanically inclined, it is easy but does take time. You also need some all-purpose grease to grease the ball and the load arms during assembly. And you need the tow vehicle lined up in front of the trailer.

Their web site walks you through what you need for your trailer. I believe there is only one current model but you have options on the load arms for their weight capacity.

You also will need the extension kit for the chains and trailer cord due to the distance added between the truck and the trailer.

Buy direct from ProPride. Send them an email with any questions. Sean is pretty fast to reply.

Maintenance is typical lubrication of joints with grease and sprays. Over time you will probably need to apply some paint to prevent rust.

Be advised - shipping weight is just over 200 lbs total across several boxes. You will need to be there to sign for the delivery or have it held at a location until you can pick it up.

Happy camping!
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPREECE View Post
Installation takes about 4 hours if you follow the instructions. The "may not have in the tool box" items you need are a 150 lb torque wrench and I think a 1 1/4 inch socket (bigger than a 1 inch). If you can read instructions and are mechanically inclined, it is easy but does take time. You also need some all-purpose grease to grease the ball and the load arms during assembly. And you need the tow vehicle lined up in front of the trailer.

Their web site walks you through what you need for your trailer. I believe there is only one current model but you have options on the load arms for their weight capacity.

You also will need the extension kit for the chains and trailer cord due to the distance added between the truck and the trailer.

Buy direct from ProPride. Send them an email with any questions. Sean is pretty fast to reply.

Maintenance is typical lubrication of joints with grease and sprays. Over time you will probably need to apply some paint to prevent rust.

Be advised - shipping weight is just over 200 lbs total across several boxes. You will need to be there to sign for the delivery or have it held at a location until you can pick it up.

Happy camping!
thanks. I ordered one today. will check back in once i get in and get going
Old 06-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:

Happy camping!
Thank you for the input. I towed my AS home from the dealership today.About 60 miles. I'm very happy with my TV, felt like i wasn't pulling anything at all. I did an average of 70-80 mph the whole way back. Its my typical cruising speed. I did notice slight sway in the trailer but nothing that would raise an eye brow. I decided based on other threads i read to go ahead and get the Propride3. The way i see it doesn't hurt to have the redundancy, as well as a mechanical aspect. The sway control on the vehicle only kicks in once it senses sway. And it does a great job from what I can tell. But if i can get a leg up on that with a mechanical then i also have the electronic version if necessary. It makes me feel better as well
Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You do know your ST tires are probably only rated at 65mph? No hitch made can stop a blow out. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
otf....
Congrats!

Good decisions.. great RV, truck and WD/anti-sway...

I might add getting a TPMS... peace of mind...

Now, I will incur serious demerits here... you pull "HOW FAST??"

Wow... not trying to shame you... and you may never have an issue.. but hey, you are recreating... a relaxing thing... why such a hurry? You may miss a few wonderful things... and running "slower" will cause lots less maintenance issues.. (wait until you read the 15" vs 16" and tire threads... weeee!!!

When I do the math, in an 8 hour day I can make about 350-400 miles at 60 MPH. At 70, about 500... so after 8 hours, I am only 100-150 miles less... ok... that is a couple hours.... but I am able to take in the views...relax....

We do NOT Airstream or car travel "interstate" super slabs unless I am in a medical emergency... period.

On the road we stop in gas station (prefer truck stops), refuel, offload bodily processes, then rest up and snack in the Airstream... you can even have truckstop food in your Airstream!!!

When we arrive we like to have time to set up, have our favorite drink, cook up supper.. or eat lightly out of fridge....whatever you like... we watch the sun go down, do a debrief on day trip and plan tomorrow. If we need to do laundry, take care of it at the TV park.. or take to a washateria for a professional touch and you have more time to see the sights...

Arriving at an early time, I can do the vehicle checks in daylight before showering...I can do all setup while daylight remains...

Arriving(stopping) early gives a better choice selection of sites...

We travelled less than 300 miles a day and arrived so much more relaxed than when running hard.

On our off main road adventures we find a courtesy you don't always see in interstate or metro areas. Slower, more respectful way of life. Ideal to an Airstreaming life.

If folks have money to tear down the highway, you are stressing your Airstream... Wind pressure, high speed and frequency of vibrations... then sell it as it may be a disposable item to you...

Running that fast you may consider the Michelin and wheel upgrade...

There are more specifics.. but get the PP and watch the difference
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Happy camping!
All that plus $ 2,500.00 ? Wouldn't be for me that's for sure.
There are a lot more sensible alternatives out there that are just as effective.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New and hungry for info on TT hitch and sway bars

Personal opinion: I'll gladly spend the money for a Hensley design hitch setup to gain the towing stability, comfort, and peace of mind. It may be considered "overkill" by some, and that's their right to their opinion and equipment that they wish to use. In any case, others in this discussion have pointed out that traveling at excess speed with an Airstream and ANY tow setup is not a good idea. I'm "recreating", not trying to meet deadlines when I'm out traveling. Haste makes waste, as the old saw goes.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
In all my miles of interstate travels, I've never seen a trailer with a ProPride hitch.
I'll bet 90% of sales are to Airstream owners.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
In all my miles of interstate travels, I've never seen a trailer with a ProPride hitch.
I'll bet 90% of sales are to Airstream owners.
I bought mine from a guy who was towing a large white box. Their videos are of other trailers.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
You do know your ST tires are probably only rated at 65mph? No hitch made can stop a blow out. Good luck.
I should probably slow down a bit. It was straight highway driving and felt smooth...
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
otf....
Congrats!

Good decisions.. great RV, truck and WD/anti-sway...

I might add getting a TPMS... peace of mind...

Now, I will incur serious demerits here... you pull "HOW FAST??"

Wow... not trying to shame you... and you may never have an issue.. but hey, you are recreating... a relaxing thing... why such a hurry? You may miss a few wonderful things... and running "slower" will cause lots less maintenance issues.. (wait until you read the 15" vs 16" and tire threads... weeee!!!

When I do the math, in an 8 hour day I can make about 350-400 miles at 60 MPH. At 70, about 500... so after 8 hours, I am only 100-150 miles less... ok... that is a couple hours.... but I am able to take in the views...relax....

We do NOT Airstream or car travel "interstate" super slabs unless I am in a medical emergency... period.

On the road we stop in gas station (prefer truck stops), refuel, offload bodily processes, then rest up and snack in the Airstream... you can even have truckstop food in your Airstream!!!

When we arrive we like to have time to set up, have our favorite drink, cook up supper.. or eat lightly out of fridge....whatever you like... we watch the sun go down, do a debrief on day trip and plan tomorrow. If we need to do laundry, take care of it at the TV park.. or take to a washateria for a professional touch and you have more time to see the sights...

Arriving at an early time, I can do the vehicle checks in daylight before showering...I can do all setup while daylight remains...

Arriving(stopping) early gives a better choice selection of sites...

We travelled less than 300 miles a day and arrived so much more relaxed than when running hard.

On our off main road adventures we find a courtesy you don't always see in interstate or metro areas. Slower, more respectful way of life. Ideal to an Airstreaming life.

If folks have money to tear down the highway, you are stressing your Airstream... Wind pressure, high speed and frequency of vibrations... then sell it as it may be a disposable item to you...

Running that fast you may consider the Michelin and wheel upgrade...

There are more specifics.. but get the PP and watch the difference
Was from the dealer to home... but i get your drift
Old 07-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Personal opinion: I'll gladly spend the money for a Hensley design hitch setup to gain the towing stability, comfort, and peace of mind. It may be considered "overkill" by some, and that's their right to their opinion and equipment that they wish to use. In any case, others in this discussion have pointed out that traveling at excess speed with an Airstream and ANY tow setup is not a good idea. I'm "recreating", not trying to meet deadlines when I'm out traveling. Haste makes waste, as the old saw goes.
I have towing stability, comfort and piece of of mind with my current set up that includes a Blue Ox hitch. To suggest that one can only achieve that by purchasing a Hensley or a Pro Pride hitch is disingenuous and simply not true.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
I have a Husky Centerline. It is the go to hitch for our local Airstream dealer, but you don't hear about it a lot on the forum.

I like that there is nothing to do before backing and sway control doesn't have to be removed in slippery road conditions.

Also, it you have a 2 1/2 inch receiver, they make a shank for it, so you won't have to use a reducer sleeve.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #36

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I tow a 30' with basically the same truck. Equalizer for me. Easy to hook up, no disconnect when backing and quiet.
Have had a dual-cam setup and didn't like it at all.
I think the Hensley and PP have there place when you are compensating for not enough vehicle for the size of trailer. Just my opinion and I'm sure it will rile the advocates of those hitches.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No, it's a reasonable conclusion. Hensley designs do help a lot if the tow vehicle is a bit marginal on stability and sheer weight.

Ours is short on power, and a hitch won't fix that. I happen to like the rock-solid stability I get with my ProPride system, and will use it when we upsize the TV next year.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #38
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
You stated that you were new to all this and asked for advice. In your post you stated you were traveling at 70-80 mph, I hope this was just a lack of information on your part and you have since learned ( without killing yourself or someone else ) the important difference between driving when towing and not towing. It is a completely different set of driving skills and equipment tolerance than what you may have used in the past. Please, slow down. The life you save may be mine.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote