Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
New Airstreamers, our first pull (a long one)

Just completed a long distance purchase of our first Airstream, 25' Classic.
We will be towing it over 700 miles to get it home and would really appreciate any advice etc to make sure that the trip is safe and trouble free. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 Ford Eco Boost crewcab, equipped with the Max Trailer Towing Pkg. If we could get some ideas and or possibly a list of things that we should be aware of, we might feel a little more at ease. Thanks so much in advance, this is a dream come true, and we will finally become a member of a very special group of people.

Rod & Jane
rbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forum, and congradulations on your Airstream.

As far as advise, I would suggest you read a lot in the hitch forum, and make sure you understand how to set up your hitch. When you pickup the trailer, make sure all electrical is working correctly, especially the brakes. Make certain all tires are inflated properly, and take it easy at first to get the feel for it.

Your truck should be excellent for towing the Airstream, but make sure the road conditions are good. It's much better to sit and wait for good conditions, IMHO than to try to pull a trailer, especially new to the scene, on icy or wet roads.

Good luck and I know you will enjoy it.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Have a good look at trailer tires (age), hubs and brakes. I found on our first trips that towing was more relaxing than trying to make time -- don't try to bite off too much in a day. Have fun!
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
If possible spend one or two nights near where you pick up your stream in case you have questions/problems you can easily go back.

Happy Streaming!!!!
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome! Check all the things Steve said, and allow plenty of time and following distance on your trip home! We drove 500 miles to pick up our Elouise, and thoroughly enjoyed our trip home, particularly having a great place to nap when we got tired of driving!
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your new "baby"!

Ken
Old 11-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Rod,
Congratulations on your new Airstream. You may want to get a head start on learning about your unit by downloading the owners manual. Also, get a copy of the "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming". It is available through Airstream Life or on Amazon.
You might want to stay close to the dealership for a day or two. Something is bound to need fixing and you will have some questions.
Take your time and have fun!
John
Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new Airstream.

The two things that are probably the most important for safe and comfortable tow are a quality weight distributing/sway control hitch system and a quality trailer brake controller. There is quite a bit of information on both of these components here on the Forums.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

2011 28' International
Bradford , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
Just completed a long distance purchase of our first Airstream, 25' Classic.
We will be towing it over 700 miles to get it home and would really appreciate any advice etc to make sure that the trip is safe and trouble free. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 Ford Eco Boost crewcab, equipped with the Max Trailer Towing Pkg. If we could get some ideas and or possibly a list of things that we should be aware of, we might feel a little more at ease. Thanks so much in advance, this is a dream come true, and we will finally become a member of a very special group of people.

Rod & Jane
You should be fine
My wife and I just purchased an 28 International serenity last Friday and did a quick 200 mile trip to NC
The unit pulls extremely easy
Good luck
Brad & Elaine
Bjleci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Rod & Jane

Great choice!!!! The 25 Classic is a sooper choice.

All the advice given so far is right on.

One thing I would add, the Classic a little overweight, our unhitched unloaded,(not quite dry, clothes equipment etc) tongue weight is just under 900lbs.
I will double down on the necessity to make sure your hitched properly, WD set, with the TV,(truck) and trailer LEVEL.
A visit to the CAT scales (truck service plaza), would be a good idea. You could stop on the way down and weigh the TV alone.

On the trip home weigh the rig together.
First with no WD adjustment, Compare steering axle weight with what it weighed with no trailer.
Second with 50% WD
Third 100%
Your goal is to replace as much of the weight back to the steering axle while keeping the truck & trailer level.

Take your time and enjoy the adventure.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT Weights.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	146145   Click image for larger version

Name:	piseco_20lake_20camping_20july_202008_20009.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	146146  

Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Owner's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
Rod,
Congratulations on your new Airstream. You may want to get a head start on learning about your unit by downloading the owners manual. Also, get a copy of the "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming". It is available through Airstream Life or on Amazon.
You might want to stay close to the dealership for a day or two. Something is bound to need fixing and you will have some questions.
Take your time and have fun!
John
Thanks John, where would a person download the owner's manual? I am purchasing the Airstream from an individual and plan on spending time with him, but will probably be asking a lot of questions here.
Rod
Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Tires are new, the trailer comes with the hitch etc and I have been busy all day reading about the proper way to adjust the hitch, my head is spinning. There are several CAT scale facilities on my route, so I plan on taking your advive, to weigh on the way out, then weigh with trailer connected and adjust. The hitch setup is probably are biggest concern, but not our only one. Are there any tools, equipment etc. that I should care with me, something that I might not think of, but could need?
Thanks,
R&J
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs

Thanks John, where would a person download the owner's manual? ...
Rod
I didn't see which year the Classic was. Owners manuals back to 05 can be downloaded here.

http://www.airstream.com/service/manuals/
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
?..Are there any tools, equipment etc. that I should care with me, something that I might not think of, but could need?
Thanks,
R&J
For starters a 4-way or a socket and breaker bar that will fit the lug nuts. On some alloy wheels the lugs are recessed and it takes a 6-point thin wall socket to reach them. If you do have a flat the easiest way to change tires is to loosen the lugs a bit then drive the good tire on that side up some blocks. A lot of us carry a set or 2 of those big lego type leveling blocks (any RV store or Walmart) or several wooden blocks. I prefer to use a torque wrench to secure the lug nuts and check them with the torque wrench at my next stop.

What type/brand hitch? I would carry whatever tools are needed to adjust the hitch if necessary after you weigh it. Most scales will give you a reweigh for a buck or two if you have to make some adjustments.

Tow mirrors.

Assume you are planning 2 days on the road to get home. Has it already been winterized?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Long pull

To follow up with the above......Regardless of who put the tires on, check your manual for the proper torque of the lug nuts, and check them periodically when you are stopped.....This will make for a relaxed trip.....
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
WD Hitch and Sway Cotrol

Our "new" Airstream is a 2004 25' Classic. The WD hitch that comes with it is an EAZ-Lift 1400. I have downloaded and printed out the owner's manual. From what I have read on the Forum, the 1400 lb bars might be a little overkill, although the tongue weight is listed at a hefty 870 lbs, EAZ recommends using the 1000 or 1400 bars. Trail Pac sway control also comes with the purchase. I will be rereading the posts that discuss properly setting up the hitch system, but would also appreciate any and all input about the EAZ hitch and Trail Pac sway control.
We will be studying the winterizing section, and the owner has performed it already, but told me that he wants to go thru the proceedure with us. The wheel bearings were inspected and repacked, brakes inspected and checked, all done just recently. I will do a search for a "check list" to use before we start down the road, but if anyone has seen one that would work for us, we would appreciate that also.
Many thanks for the help and advice.
R&J
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Welcome to the forums!

Ditto on what everyone has said so far. However, I'll emphasize tires. Are the tires original (7-8 years old)? If so, they need replacing. If they are newer, make sure they are properly inflated.

Five years ago, I bought an Airstream about 600 miles away and took a new set of tires with me because the originals were 5 years old. I had them installed immediately before I left town. I didn't want any blowouts - which if you search the forums, you'll see a lot of people have had tire problems. Proper inflation and keeping your speed down to 65mph or less are very important to control heat in the tires. Excess heat often leads to blowouts. I switched from the original Goodyear D series to Maxxis E series, with no problems in the four years I had them (I have a different trailer now).
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Some simpler basics to add to the above.
1) lock the door, lock the door (if it blows open, it is bad)
2) Drive in short segments at first, maybe 30 minutes, then get out and stretch, let your fingers unwind...they will be tight. After two or three short stops you will be completely comfortable . The Airstream tows sooo well.
3) Start learning how to pick gas stations, look at them as you drive by and ask yourself if you could get in and more importantly, can you get back out? Learn what to look for as you drive by, make it a discussion.
4) Enjoy the ride!!!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
As stated already, check your cold tire pressure and torque the lug nuts before starting your trip. You said it has new tires. I would check the lug nut torque again after 25 to 30 miles of driving. I recently installed new tires. I installed the wheels myself and torqued them to spec. I re-torqued at 25 miles and all the lug nuts had movement. I rechecked the lug nuts again at 100 miles and had some lug nut movement. When traveling, I check lug nut torque and cold tire pressure every morning before hitting the road.

There are several posts on here about a door stop to make certain that the door can not blow open while traveling. I use a rubber door stop wedged through the assist handle at the entrance door. I never have been able to understand why the entrance door is installed so that it is able to blow open going down the road.

Good luck on your trip.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Best Tool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Tires are new, the trailer comes with the hitch etc and I have been busy all day reading about the proper way to adjust the hitch, my head is spinning. There are several CAT scale facilities on my route, so I plan on taking your advive, to weigh on the way out, then weigh with trailer connected and adjust. The hitch setup is probably are biggest concern, but not our only one. Are there any tools, equipment etc. that I should care with me, something that I might not think of, but could need?
Thanks,
R&J
Great Preparation......

Best Tool???

Common Sense and a Good lug wench.

Bob
Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Rod,
Owners manual for your unit is at Airstream, Inc :: Manuals. Be sure to ask for the briefcase that came with the unit originally. This with save you from putting all the information together on the systems in the unit.
Cheers