Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0408 View Post
Guys...I already own the 1500 (see details above) and don't want to change it. I am trying to size the TT accordingly and that is my focus. I have laid out all the detail that is relevant regarding the TT choices and TV.

My weakest link, correct me if I'm wrong please, is my front GAWR which according to CAT is 3440. So even with the smallest choice, the 23FB,
3440 (current front axle weight)
171 (439 AS unit base weight times .78 divided by 2)
225 (cargo: wife plus 300 misc cargo (no kids in this scenario) divided by 2)
----
3836 (and my GAWR is 3950)

So maybe I am answering my own question...with my TV, I maybe limited to just the 23 FB and very little to spare.

I would really appreciate any input the experienced AS'ers have to offer with regards to MY specific situation. I am NOT changing TV but am trying to decide between the 23FB, 25FB or 27FB.
Don't limit yourself to the 23. You can tow more with that Silverado. Mine went 315,000 miles and if I posted pictures of what I towed with it I'd get tossed off the forum! Go to CanAm, have lunch (and maybe dinner too) while they set it up. Get the hitch strengthened to withstand the frame twist from that WD setup.

I'm amazed walking around the campground how many people have been towing Airstreams with half ton trucks for years without issue. And you can always upsize when you're ready for a new truck later on.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:14 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I agree with last poster. The CEO of Airstream was talking to Jay Leno on a special. Leno asked, "What the most popular tow vehicle for AS?" And he was in the 30' Classic. Answer: The Ford F-150.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I would recommend that you load as much as you possible can, as though you were going to travel, then go to the CAT scale, I think you may find that although you are dividing your weights in half, it doesn't quite weigh out the same way.
As the suspension gets closer to MAX the resistance is greater, thus compression is less and the carried weight is forced towards the rear, then when you add the hitch weight and the rear suspension is near it's max and resistance to compression is increased, this is where the front will start to rise, removing weight from it and why you use the WD to try to put it back up front. This is why you can find information about NOT installing airbags in the rear to achieve level, creating a reinforced fulcrum point.
While I am an advocate of all the specs, GVWR and GAWRs, if you are going to only focus on GAWR the so long as your total doesn't exceed both together, you will pretty much be able to dial in how it's carried by adjusting the WD until it's good.
If you are too close to max, then you can always off load some weight by carrying it in the trailer during travel and moving it to the truck upon arrival when you disconnect, this is what I did until I could upgrade capacity.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I would recommend that you load as much as you possible can, as though you were going to travel, then go to the CAT scale, I think you may find that although you are dividing your weights in half, it doesn't quite weigh out the same way.
As the suspension gets closer to MAX the resistance is greater, thus compression is less and the carried weight is forced towards the rear, then when you add the hitch weight and the rear suspension is near it's max and resistance to compression is increased, this is where the front will start to rise, removing weight from it and why you use the WD to try to put it back up front. This is why you can find information about NOT installing airbags in the rear to achieve level, creating a reinforced fulcrum point.
While I am an advocate of all the specs, GVWR and GAWRs, if you are going to only focus on GAWR the so long as your total doesn't exceed both together, you will pretty much be able to dial in how it's carried by adjusting the WD until it's good.
If you are too close to max, then you can always off load some weight by carrying it in the trailer during travel and moving it to the truck upon arrival when you disconnect, this is what I did until I could upgrade capacity.
Excellent point.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #75
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Good / better / best / ideal / perfect .... when I "truck" over to the local store, the lot is pretty thin in the "small sedan" category. SUV's, trucks, and vans each outnumber them. Truck by just about any parking lot and the same mix shows up. Run through the suburban neighborhood and ... yup ... same thing. I think we have more Jeeps (not Cherokee's ... real Jeeps) in our neighborhood than "sensible small cars".

It's not just for towing. It's not just for this or that. People like *big*. Out on the interstate the mix may be a little different, if you drive 180 miles each way to work each day, gas miles just might matter ....

Bob
Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Good / better / best / ideal / perfect .... when I "truck" over to the local store, the lot is pretty thin in the "small sedan" category. SUV's, trucks, and vans each outnumber them. Truck by just about any parking lot and the same mix shows up. Run through the suburban neighborhood and ... yup ... same thing. I think we have more Jeeps (not Cherokee's ... real Jeeps) in our neighborhood than "sensible small cars".

It's not just for towing. It's not just for this or that. People like *big*. Out on the interstate the mix may be a little different, if you drive 180 miles each way to work each day, gas miles just might matter ....

Bob
In the majority of accidents Small looses to Big. We Americans like things big and spacious. Back in the seventies, while visiting Europe driving on the Autobahn I used to think I was on a Go Cart track. During the last few decades the globalist succeed in turning our Interstates into quasi Go Cart tracks as well.
This year we traded our F-150 to a F-250 also up sizing the bed to a 6.5'. It allowed me to better organize for touring and came with a bigger tank . I had some concern about parking initially, however to my surprise it has yet to become an issue. And at times I end up having to park it downtown Chicago. If anything, it has made me more skillful.