Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Niantic , Connecticut
New Airstreamer looking for best Tow set-up

Having done lots of motor homing in the past, this will be our first Airstream. We are looking to buy a 2017 classic 30. My current TV is a 2015 Silverado High Country 5.3 L, crew cab, short box, 4x4, 3.42 rear with tow package. The dealer (says I have enough truck to tow) recommends the equalizer hitch, which they will install. I have talked with CanAmRv and they have a assured me I have plenty of truck to tow this trailer. They recommended the EAZ-lift hitch along with welding some 2" steel to fortify my existing class 3 hitch in order to pass more load to the front TV axle (They are 550 miles from me). I anticipate we will put 6-10,000 miles per year on the AS.

I have read numerous threads here and have come to realize I need to put my situation out to you, the Airstream experts. Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations.
Chris0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If you have talked to the people at Can-Am RV, then you have talked to the experts; everyone else on this site is just someone with an opinion. You'll hear everyone from a person that tows a 34' triple axle with a Honda Odyssey to a 3/4 ton turbo diesel towing a 16' Bambi.

A tow vehicle is an intensely personal decision, weighing in factors like what terrain you're going to be towing in, the generation of Airstream (newer models are not as light as older models), to your personal safety pucker factor.

IMHO I would go with the truck you have with the beefing up at Can-Am as it will be a good daily driver and see how it goes. If you do some mountainous stuff or find that she is huffing and puffing up the hills you can decide to change, to maybe a 6.2L with a max tow package (if you can get that in a half ton).

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you don't mind the drive to Can Am, head over and get it done right. It's certainly cheaper than buying a new truck. I'm guessing you have the 1500, but that may not be correct. If you have the 2500 there's really not much to talk about. Nobody here will seriously recommend a 3500 for just a 30'.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
See how the truck works for you. It will pull the trailer. The Eaze-lift is easy to use, that's what I have.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Niantic , Connecticut
Yes it's a Silverado 1500, sorry I left that out. Thanks for the replies so far.
Chris0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have a 2016 22Fb and tow with an audi q5 sport. no issues we took it to CANAM, they fixed and re aligned our hitch with WD and sway bars. Andy came out and gave us a drive around showing how best to pull, backup and avoid dangers on the road and how much we could "through" the wheel without issues. he also stated we could easily pull a AS27 even though my car was a 5000lb and 500 lb tongue limit. he said the as27 was around 6500 lbs pull- no issue and 900 lb tongue he said they could re-enforce under the car and we could easily then pull it pull weight is not the issue, tongue weight is- according to Andy
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Another vote for keeping what you have and having CanAm reinforce the existing hitch. We also tow with a vehicle set up by CanAm RV.
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I agree with all that has been said, but...
I have had the EazLift and Equal-i-zer Original 4-point Sway Control hitch and I prefer the Equal-i-zer.
I would have a ProPride if I had $2,300...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you don't mind the drive to Can Am, head over and get it done right. It's certainly cheaper than buying a new truck. I'm guessing you have the 1500, but that may not be correct. If you have the 2500 there's really not much to talk about. Nobody here will seriously recommend a 3500 for just a 30'.

Bob
Hey uncle bob, look, a ProPride plug in under 10 posts and of course, I would recommend a 3500 for a Classic, to validate what I bought. I do agree it's personal.

Buy for what you need 95% of the time, add some safety and/or perspective margin for the other 1 - 5%, like go slower up hills, higher rpm's, etc (Latin for PPP) ;-)
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A ProPride plug in under 10 posts because I believe in the idea or concept, but don't own one. Project the pivot point forward. Make the trailer and truck move side to side independently of one another but still in a straight line. Prevent sway before it happens rather than react to sway after it has begun seems like a perfectly good idea to me.
I may never have a ProPride, but will always like the idea. I like ProPride vs. Hensley because no holes have to be drilled to install a ProPride and it has no orange paint. Just saying. I think it is the best hitch idea, but I do take slight issue with the $2,300 part.
I recommended Equal-i-zer over EazLift due to personal experience owning both.
I still tow a Classic 30 with a 1/2 ton pickup and an Equal-i-zer Original 4-point Sway Control hitch with 1,200# bars and quite possibly always will.
Just sharing my opinion and experience for what it's worth. Maybe it is valuable to some. Maybe it is useless to others. Maybe some will be influenced. Maybe some will agree, but take a different avenue. It's all good.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
As already stated here, CanAm are the best so do what they recommend. Personally, I really like my Hensley. Zero sway so far but only about 3,000 miles traveled, mostly interstate, so I am NOT an expert at all.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
As already stated here, CanAm are the best so do what they recommend. Personally, I really like my Hensley. Zero sway so far but only about 3,000 miles traveled, mostly interstate, so I am NOT an expert at all.
But you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
You started off with the best hitch.
Nothing else to aspire too.
The no drilling holes is the main reason I prefer the ProPride.
1 though process:
I have a truck that was $42,000 MSRP and a trailer that was $96,000 MSRP when new.
The truck would be $46,000 and the trailer would be $141,000 in today's prices.
What's $2,300 to protect a $138,000-$186,000 investment?
I understand all of that and I agree with all of that, but...
I still ain't got $2,300.
I have gotten by 7 years with 1st an EazLift and then an Equal-i-zer.
Both are good hitches and perform a job very well.
Of the 2 Equal-i-zer is my choice for ease of use- less steps- less to do.
Hensley and ProPride eliminate the job that the Eazlift and Equal-i-zer do...
Hensley and ProPride prevent sway in the first place rather than controlling it after it happens.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #13
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
But you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
You started off with the best hitch.
Nothing else to aspire too.
The no drilling holes is the main reason I prefer the ProPride.
1 though process:
I have a truck that was $42,000 MSRP and a trailer that was $96,000 MSRP when new.
The truck would be $46,000 and the trailer would be $141,000 in today's prices.
What's $2,300 to protect a $138,000-$186,000 investment?
I understand all of that and I agree with all of that, but...
I still ain't got $2,300.
I have gotten by 7 years with 1st an EazLift and then an Equal-i-zer.
Both are good hitches and perform a job very well.
Of the 2 Equal-i-zer is my choice for ease of use- less steps- less to do.
Hensley and ProPride eliminate the job that the Eazlift and Equal-i-zer do...
Hensley and ProPride prevent sway in the first place rather than controlling it after it happens.
I'll swap that Harley for a new ProPride installed and adjusted
Old 08-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Nooo!
Maybe a ProPride and $7,000 to boot...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0408 View Post
Having done lots of motor homing in the past, this will be our first Airstream. We are looking to buy a 2017 classic 30. My current TV is a 2015 Silverado High Country 5.3 L, crew cab, short box, 4x4, 3.42 rear with tow package. The dealer (says I have enough truck to tow) recommends the equalizer hitch, which they will install. I have talked with CanAmRv and they have a assured me I have plenty of truck to tow this trailer. They recommended the EAZ-lift hitch along with welding some 2" steel to fortify my existing class 3 hitch in order to pass more load to the front TV axle (They are 550 miles from me). I anticipate we will put 6-10,000 miles per year on the AS.

I have read numerous threads here and have come to realize I need to put my situation out to you, the Airstream experts. Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations.
Just to note: As Wally proved many moons ago you can pull an Airstream with a bicycle.
Stopping and maneuvering it in difficult terrain is another.
Your 30' will come with a tongue weight a bit over 1,000 lbs. I have one as well and I weighed it. Two people, two dogs, lawn chairs, grill, generator, tools etc.etc.. will easily add another 6 to 7 hundred lbs. And that is where the real question comes in play. Payload and margin of safety. Being able to transfer axle loads with a WD hitch does not resolve the margin of safety issue at all. These are the real issues to consider.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Still towing a 30' Classic with a 1/2 ton pickup.
All is good.
Payload is the limit- 1,455# on my truck.
Tongue weight + me and my wife = maxed out, but the truck doesn't seem to mind.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Post #15 is good advice. I would not try to pull 26' or longer TT through North Canada or on to Alaska without a 3/4 ton TV. I have been with friends who tried and spent days waiting for damaged parts to replaced coming from Southern Canada or the US. Don't even think of going on to Prudhoe Bay from Fairbanks. I wore out a Hensley on that trip. They admitted the hitch was not designed for those conditions. When I got back Hensley replace all my failed or damaged parts including the hitch head under warranty. I still like my Hensley because it tows so good and it does have a good warranty.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New Airstreamer looking for best Tow set-up

I would seriously agree that even the heavier ProPride would get damaged under those conditions. The design is not built for rough road towing, IMHO. Too many moving parts, for one thing.

Rough roads, you are talking 3/4 ton truck, a pintle hitch and a trailer designed for those conditions from the ground up if you travel like that a lot.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Just to note: As Wally proved many moons ago you can pull an Airstream with a bicycle.
Stopping and maneuvering it in difficult terrain is another.
Your 30' will come with a tongue weight a bit over 1,000 lbs. I have one as well and I weighed it. Two people, two dogs, lawn chairs, grill, generator, tools etc.etc.. will easily add another 6 to 7 hundred lbs. And that is where the real question comes in play. Payload and margin of safety. Being able to transfer axle loads with a WD hitch does not resolve the margin of safety issue at all. These are the real issues to consider.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm a newbie when it comes to Airstreaming and this forum so I've been trying to learn as much and as quickly as I can. It's interesting, though, that having been a contributor over on the Rennlist Porsche forum for over 15 years, many of the same kind of issues and rationales, just shifted to a different set of topics, keep arising.

One of them is the "I've never had a problem with it" rationale. There's always someone who will tell you that it's OK to use some part or procedure that's outside of the manufacturer's specification. "Sure, you can use that 997 spec 911 center lock wheel nut on your 991 series 911. I know the thread is a little different and the taper is off a bit, but I use them and I've never had a problem." Well, maybe so, but if you do have a problem you're talking about a hub and/or wheel failure at track speeds and that's just not something I'm willing to risk.

I have the same misgivings about using a TV whose spec is marginal or inadequate in terms of either tow capacity or payload and since I'm a towing newbie I'm learning that lesson the hard way. When we bought our 25' FC I did all the research and selected a 2017 F150 as a TV. With it's 11500# tow rating I thought I had the bases covered, but what I didn't take fully into consideration was payload. My F150 has a payload of 1638# and I've learned on this forum that the specified 886# tongue weight of my FC is probably at least a 100# low. Add the weight of my hitch, my wife and me, and our dog, and I'm within a couple hundred pounds of my payload capacity before anything like generators, BBQ, fuel, extra water, etc, etc, goes in the bed. Now we're about to order a 2018 Classic and there's no payload margin left to play with so I'm going to sell my F150 and buy an F250 diesel, which if I'd known better, I probably should have done in the first place. An expensive lesson.

I know some people tow a 30 footer' with a 1/2 ton. I know some people carry more payload than their TV is spec'd for. And I know that some people have "never had a problem" with any of that. I also realize that not everyone can afford to just swap TV's at the drop of a hat. That's why, I think that if you are a new Airstreamer looking for the best tow setup, all of the issues around towing capacity, payload, an adequate safety margin and even possible future trailer upgrades should be part of the decision making process.

I just had to share that, based on my personal and financially painful experience, and I'll climb down off my soapbox now....

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, I'll admit that I've run vehicles well over their limits on occasion. In some cases I've been aware of that in other cases I only figured it out after the fact. In >90% of the cases nothing bad happened. In the remainder, it's debatable if the transmission blew from the load or from a factory defect.

That said, I've put in enough miles now that I do not have to overload a vehicle and go with it. I also realize that if I want to get in a bunch more miles that maybe paying attention to some of those ratings is a good idea. Thousands of miles a year in this or that condition is different than a quick run back from Home Depot ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote