Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
New 250 and Hitch shopping

Hey everyone,

I'm moving from a 150 ecoboost crew to a 6.2 2018 250.

Trailer is a 30' classic. Usually around 8300 lbs loaded.

The sway control hitch I've been using on the 150 is old and worn out. It's a equal-i-zer 10k system. Hand me down from my parents and I'm just going to get something new with the new truck.

The trailer also suffered from front end separation that was repaired a few months ago. Not sure if this was related from oversprung bars, or being towed all over the US for years and years.

I've been looking at the blue ox sway pro or similar systems. I've always hated the loud nature of my pure torsion bar system.

Looking for some input on what people suggest. I also know these new SD's are quite a bit higher than the outgoing body style. I'm sure that may limit me as well.

Thanks!
CoryandNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The new(er) F-250's *are* high off the ground. That does not do anything good for stability. That's true with a trailer hooked up or simply driving around. Yes, I own an F-250

One thing to consider is how much money you want to spend. If something in the three or four thousand dollar range is "in budget" that puts pretty much everything on the market in play.

Another thing to consider is how much you are bothered by this or that when hooking things up. Some of these systems are a bit more involved to work with than others. Is it a matter of another 5 or 10 minutes? ... that depends.

Past that, there is no real argument that the fancy stuff ( ProPride etc ) works better than the less exotic systems. What gets debated endlessly is just how much you *need* that added margin. Like the questions above. Only you can make that call.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
For the amount of travel we do, not looking to break the bank. 500 +- either way is my comfort area.

I've never really been interested in the more fancy systems. My view is my 150 with a simple equalizer hitch did pretty well. I would feel when a simi passed me, but never really had a white knuckle experience. I'm going to be adding several thousand pounds of tow vehicle, so the more suitable platform should provide even better results.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

From driving both vehicles, I'd say my 2017 F-250 is *less* stable than an older F-150 ( despite the significant added weight .... ).

Straight up replacement of an Equaizer at a dealer will run you about $1,000 or so. That includes things like the giant gizmo that goes from the oversized hitch socket on the truck to the ball for the trailer. I believe retail on that part is near $400 all by it's self.

Bob
Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

From driving both vehicles, I'd say my 2017 F-250 is *less* stable than an older F-150 ( despite the significant added weight .... ).

Straight up replacement of an Equaizer at a dealer will run you about $1,000 or so. That includes things like the giant gizmo that goes from the oversized hitch socket on the truck to the ball for the trailer. I believe retail on that part is near $400 all by it's self.

Bob

I've towed the trailer with both platforms. I notice a significant difference going to the SD from the 150. Weight has its place.

I'm looking at the Blue ox for around 625 on amazon right now. Just trying to see what other people suggest.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I use and like the Eaz-Lift system that has tapered torsion bars. The friction sway control units are removable to reduce noise in a campground or during slippery road conditions for better control.

For comparison, a hitch system with the built in sway control, that can't be disconnected, may want to push your tow vehicle out of control in an under steer situation on very wet or snowy roads. In essence, in these conditions, a sway control hitch will try and keep your rig moving in a straight line instead of following your TV around the curve.

The Equalizer has square torsion bars that perform the sway control function as well. These bars don't flex much and can add a lot of undue stress and a rougher ride for your trailer.

I would recommend having the hitch installed and your rig set up by an experienced, professional installer. It isn't much more than purchasing and installing it yourself, but a professional will save you the trial and error of trying to get the system balanced.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
We use a blue ox on a 3/4 ton ram. I find it easier on the airstream than our old equalizer, and easier to adjust - by simply moving up or down a chain link......
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
I know there is a reason why some people like vanilla and some like chocolate. We are a first RV/Airstreamer with a 016, 250 Diesel and a 31 -015 Classic. We went with the propride last yr after much consternation and research. I know it's out of your comfort zone, $ wise, but I don't regret spending the money on the hitch. My rig ( truck and Classic) are rock solid on the interstate. A semi can pass me 25 mph more than my speed and it is NOT felt in the truck, nor are there any visual indications that it has caused any sway.
Just my .02
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
We use Blue Ox and are happy w/performance on our Classic.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Have a brand new (almost) hitch for sale...see add
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryandNat View Post
I've towed the trailer with both platforms. I notice a significant difference going to the SD from the 150. Weight has its place.

I'm looking at the Blue ox for around 625 on amazon right now. Just trying to see what other people suggest.
F-250 with the Blue Ox is an unbeatable combination.
Ditto here with going to a 250 from a half ton. No more tail waging the dog towing our 30' Classic.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
WE have F250 and Blue Ox love it. It is very easy to hook up.
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryandNat View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm moving from a 150 ecoboost crew to a 6.2 2018 250.

Trailer is a 30' classic. Usually around 8300 lbs loaded.

The sway control hitch I've been using on the 150 is old and worn out. It's a equal-i-zer 10k system. Hand me down from my parents and I'm just going to get something new with the new truck.

The trailer also suffered from front end separation that was repaired a few months ago. Not sure if this was related from oversprung bars, or being towed all over the US for years and years.

I've been looking at the blue ox sway pro or similar systems. I've always hated the loud nature of my pure torsion bar system.

Looking for some input on what people suggest. I also know these new SD's are quite a bit higher than the outgoing body style. I'm sure that may limit me as well.

Thanks!
I have been using Reese WD hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control system for about 40 years on several different TVs (1/2 ton and 3/4 ton) and several different Airstreams from 25 ft to 31 ft. I have looked at many other systems over the years and haven't found anything that I like any better.
( I really don"t like friction sway control.)

Currently have 2017 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel and a 25 ft Safari TT. The truck outweighs the trailer and I still use the same hitch, adjusted properly for the current vehicles, and I find it very satisfactory for mountain towing.

Just my opinion, but comes with some experience and a lot of miles and years of full timing.

Hope you find what works best for you.

Abe
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Have a Blue Ox between our '17 6.2L F250 and Flying Cloud 28. Seems to work well.

I did lower the rear end of the truck 1.5" by replacing the blocks between the rear axle and springs from those off the previous generation F250. Not sure if that affects the towing one way or another, but I couldn't stand the jacked up looking rear end.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Hi

Bob

Bob, interesting statement "F-250 less stable than older F-150". Why do you say this and why do you you think this is?

sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Bob, interesting statement "F-250 less stable than older F-150". Why do you say this and why do you you think this is?

Hi

It's about ten feet higher up in the air than the old trucks were "back in the day". Any pickup truck is already a bit high compared to your neighbor's Ferrari or his Porsche ( he's out washing the cars ....) . Getting the center of mass up in the air is not how you improve stability. They also are light in the tail if not blasted. Putting an ton of gear in the bed can help that. Again, they start off disadvantaged. Next the new F-250 has a lot of side area way up in the air. Hit it with a good bit of wind and you notice it. On top of this throw in a suspension that is .... yikes .... soft. The ride is nice and smooth. Stability suffers.

That's just the short list.... and no, I'm not knocking the truck. I'm quite happy with it. I simply would not claim that somehow it is what it is not ....

Bob
Old 05-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My Kenworth is considerably heavier than a half ton (3X, easily). But not more stable. Far less

COG trumps vehicle weight every time.

And to the OP: with an even worse version of the ubiquitous pickup, you somehow “think” a Hensley-patent hitch is too expensive? Ha!

It’s your truck that’s the weak link for rig stability. And needs the better hitch more than the TT does. It’ll be the likelier cause of a loss-of-control accident as the AS is more stable.

At the very least, set up the rig using a certified scale. FALR or close. If the trailer is also level, you’ll be the unusual sight on the Interstate in NOT dragging the AS nose-down on the front axle.

“Muh magic one ton series pickemup “ doesn’t exist despite its commonality.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the things I do regularly is to pull the trailer out of storage and run it over to the house. Being utterly useless and lazy ( just ask the wife ), I don't put the bars on the hitch when I do. The rationalization is that I'm close to the ground and moving slow on back roads.

In that configuration, the rig *does* get a big lively, even at 45 MPH. Yes, you *do* learn how to pull out of a sway situation doing this. It still ( at least to me ) suggests that there is no magic with a F-250 pulling a 30' AS. You need all the help you can get ( or afford or aren't to lazy to install or .... )

Take a look at any decent sports car. They all are low to the ground. That's how you keep things stable in a turn. High up in the air is for driving over giant rocks at < 3 mph ....

Bob
Old 05-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Hi

One of the things I do regularly is to pull the trailer out of storage and run it over to the house. Being utterly useless and lazy ( just ask the wife ), I don't put the bars on the hitch when I do. The rationalization is that I'm close to the ground and moving slow on back roads.

In that configuration, the rig *does* get a big lively, even at 45 MPH. Yes, you *do* learn how to pull out of a sway situation doing this. It still ( at least to me ) suggests that there is no magic with a F-250 pulling a 30' AS. You need all the help you can get ( or afford or aren't to lazy to install or .... )

Take a look at any decent sports car. They all are low to the ground. That's how you keep things stable in a turn. High up in the air is for driving over giant rocks at < 3 mph ....

Bob
I would hope you drive your truck differently than your sports car. They are made to go fast around curves. Not much use to load up your, grill, generator, firewood , lawnchairs, dogs, wife , mother-in-law etc. And than hook up and tow a 30' AS 3,000 miles.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I would hope you drive your truck differently than your sports car. They are made to go fast around curves. Not much use to load up your, grill, generator, firewood , lawnchairs, dogs, wife , mother-in-law etc. And than hook up and tow a 30' AS 3,000 miles.
Hi

Most certainly would drive it differently. The reason you spend $450K on that sports car in the driveway next door *is* to drive it differently. If not, why spend all that money?

The point is that the design compromises that go into the sports car are what make it more stable. The fact that it can't make it over a typical bump in the road is just "the way it is". If they *could* get over those bumps and still pull a million g's in a curve, they most certainly would. That's the only "handling" category that the truck beats it.

If I hop in and start down a bumpy road, I really get knocked around in the sports car. The F-250 is nice and smooth by comparison. I'd have to go back to a "bad old" F-250 from a decade or two ago to get a truck that rode that harsh. Yes, magic springs are part of it. A lot of it is an entire suspension (shocks etc) that is now tuned for comfort rather than stability.....

Then you get into axles and even more exotic issues ....

Again, to be clear - I'm not into a build it yourself TV. There are very few "off the shelf" solutions to this problem. I'm ok with the compromise I have. If I was going to a DIY answer to the problem, who knows where that would get to...

Bob