Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Yep....re-weigh.

TV alone loaded for camping.

TV & AS with and without WD set, (with full camping load), rig must be LEVEL when WD set properly.

Notice I'm within 100lbs of the TV alone steering axle weight.

Bob

Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Blue Ox closeup

Pat, for your reference, here are pictures of my rig with the Blue Ox. You can see how far down the shank the hitch head is attached. This gave me a level trailer.

Notice that the top of the shank is tilted up toward the trailer. This shows how much my Yukon's receiver was flexing under load. I eventually had Andy T. at Can-Am reinforce the hitch. At the same time, I changed to a different brand of hitch, so I can't say whether the reinforcing changed the behavior of the rig with the Blue Ox.

The wide view shows four and a half links exposed between the loop on the end of the bar, and the rotating chain bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueOxCloseUp2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	229995   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueOxWide.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	229996  

Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
SS,

I was always told to install the chains with the open end toward the trailer.

Bob
Old 01-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I think I'd go to another scale. You stated operator did not seem to know what was going on and the scale may not have been calibrated recently.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Robert, the information from your tickets are a big help. I used the percentage of weight of each axle from your ticket with WD applied and compared it to my ticket no 1, which I feel is the most accurate of the 4. It indicates that my steer axel was 1% (127lbs) light, my drive axle is 3% (381lbs) heavy, and my TA is 4% (509lbs) light. I am still going to re-weigh but its looking more and more like the setup from the dealer is bad.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I love these confusion states....because I do not feel so bad about trying to get the weight distribution gig figured out...

However, I am still in process of getting my unit fully adjusted, so I sent a question to Life As A Trucker asking about when the truck scales are least busy. It is my opinion, that the "set up" should be done by weighing once, driving off the scale and readjusting, then returning to the scale for the next weigh in. There is some "settling in" of the hitch after a few feet of driving and this can be accomplished in the weigh return route at a state inspection site.

If there is minimal traffic at the weigh station no one will get upset. I would avoid trying to cut into a line of truckers.....

More to come when I get this figured out....LOL
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"I am still going to re-weigh but its looking more and more like the setup from the dealer is bad."

Not all that unusual, many do not take the time to do it correctly.

I also suspect the scales,(operator), if your weights are/were done correctly the 127lb light isn't really too far off the mark, IF the TV and Airstream are level with WD set.

Bob
Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
I love these confusion states....because I do not feel so bad about trying to get the weight distribution gig figured out...

However, I am still in process of getting my unit fully adjusted, so I sent a question to Life As A Trucker asking about when the truck scales are least busy. It is my opinion, that the "set up" should be done by weighing once, driving off the scale and readjusting, then returning to the scale for the next weigh in. There is some "settling in" of the hitch after a few feet of driving and this can be accomplished in the weigh return route at a state inspection site.

If there is minimal traffic at the weigh station no one will get upset. I would avoid trying to cut into a line of truckers.....

More to come when I get this figured out....LOL

We've answered that question around here several times. It is that there may not be an ideal time due to a variety of factors. Scale use is fast, but avoiding truckers bent on food and fuel during lunch is about it. Traffic at the truck stop is the thing to watch for.

Yes, drive off scale immediately upon being advised by scale master that the reading is done. It is pretty much instantaneous. Pay for each reading after parking. Effect changes at that parking spot.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
So, I just got off the phone with Blue Ox. They feel that my set up is good. However, they also feel that the Denali's automatic leveling system is interfering with the WD. They suggested that I deactivate the auto leveling system when towing. I am now trying to find out from GM if there is a way to do so. I have checked the manual but it doesn't address deactivation of the system. It only states that it is recommended to allow the shocks to inflate prior to adjusting the hitch. Any of you with Denali's out there had similar issues?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just a note, after asking a friend, who owns a very large trucking company, about weighing rigs, I find out that the initial weight is $12, but that each re-weigh is only $2 and this is true at most CAT Scales.

So, I will be heading down to a scale about fifty miles away to set up my unit more like i want it.

Currently I am 7380 lbs steer wheels, 7300 lbs, drive wheels, 7240 on trailer wheels. So, I will attempt to adjust a few pounds from front to rear, hopefully coming to about 7350 each axle of the truck.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
So, I just got off the phone with Blue Ox. They feel that my set up is good. However, they also feel that the Denali's automatic leveling system is interfering with the WD. They suggested that I deactivate the auto leveling system when towing. I am now trying to find out from GM if there is a way to do so. I have checked the manual but it doesn't address deactivation of the system. It only states that it is recommended to allow the shocks to inflate prior to adjusting the hitch. Any of you with Denali's out there had similar issues?

Pat,

If I haven't lost too many grey cells.....

Set the WD with the key off. When started the Autoride will activate. It should stay level.

Bob
Old 01-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

I have towed with Denalis and Escalades. Pull the fuse for the auto level control. Get your WD dialed in...maybe a bit too much WD High. Then re-install the fuse. The back will rise a bit (maybe 1/2" or less). This takes out the extra WD you dialed in in the previous step.

You don't want to run for extended periods of time with the fuse out. The system is an integral part of the overall rear suspension...not just add on air shocks. The system will leak down over a period of hours, eventually leaving you with little or no air pressure in the system. That's not good for the system, not to mention sacrificing some of the designed in rear suspension engineering.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Just a note, after asking a friend, who owns a very large trucking company, about weighing rigs, I find out that the initial weight is $12, but that each re-weigh is only $2 and this is true at most CAT Scales.

So, I will be heading down to a scale about fifty miles away to set up my unit more like i want it.

Currently I am 7380 lbs steer wheels, 7300 lbs, drive wheels, 7240 on trailer wheels. So, I will attempt to adjust a few pounds from front to rear, hopefully coming to about 7350 each axle of the truck.

Just go for FALR, or front axle load restoration. Same weight solo or towing. Limits on an 08 Dodge will be around 6k or less per axle.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
So, I just got off the phone with Blue Ox. They feel that my set up is good. However, they also feel that the Denali's automatic leveling system is interfering with the WD. They suggested that I deactivate the auto leveling system when towing. I am now trying to find out from GM if there is a way to do so. I have checked the manual but it doesn't address deactivation of the system. It only states that it is recommended to allow the shocks to inflate prior to adjusting the hitch.---
GMC also says:
"When using a weight-distributing hitch, the spring bars should be adjusted so the distance (Ground to Front Wheel Well) is the same after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle and adjusting the hitch."

When you attach the TT and then allow the TV to level, the rear will rise to the preset level, but the front of the TV will be unloaded by the TW and the front will rise.

If you then apply load to the WD bars, load will be transferred to the front suspension, and the front will drop.
The rear will tend to rise, but the leveling system will try to keep the rear at the preset height.

The goal should be to keep the front end at the same height (same front axle load as when unhitched).
IMO, there is no reason to deactivate the auto leveling when towing as long as you follow GM's instructions -- 1) attach trailer, 2) allow TV to adjust rear height, and 3) adjust WDH to return front to unhitched height/load.

Ron