Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Need help towing 23' Streamline

Sometime this week, possible Thursday, I need someone with good towing experience who would be willing to drive my vehicle from Payson to east Phoenix towing my trailer. I have never towed a trailer & the PO STRONGLY suggests I have someone do it for me.

I'm very independent but scared, even though I've been reading the forum & watching videos, I would be a basket case by the time I get it home. I'll try to install a brake controller - if I can afford it - but I have no money to pay anyone. The best I can offer is to buy you lunch.

Just putting this out on the forum & every other place possible. Please let me know any advice or help. thanks : )

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The problem is always one of liability. Concerns about insurance coverage. Compounded by tires, brakes, wheel bearing service, then proper lamp performance (clearance, stop & turn signal) as well as safety chains, breakaway switch and the cord/plug that connects to the tow vehicle. The TV brake controller and proper tow mirrors. Not to mention a proper hitch and hitch receiver. Some knowledge of how to set that up.

It's a fair list, in other words, that needs familiarity.

I can see the concern by the PO via a quick map consultation of the route. Payson is at about 5,000/ft altitude and Phoenix at 1,200/ft. The connecting highway -- AZ-87, The Beeline Highway -- has the usual "sharp" turns of a road in ascent or descent along the route. But it is four lanes according to the Wiki link (late 1990s/early 2000's) and I see no truck restrictions.

I haven't been up that road since about 1970 (the route my grandparents used to take from Mesa to Show Low). A drive in a 1971 Chrysler (then new) that became mine some twenty-four years later.

GMaps sez about 76-miles.

A four lane with a decent shoulder (width) would keep what -- for me -- would be the worst part of such a trip from being scary: lane width and shoulder width . . it's easy to let the tail of a travel trailer stray into the adjoining lane. But that road may not have much in the way of "shoulder" (as we expect on an Interstate). A low-traffic morning and keeping to the right side of the lane (which I'd never otherwise recommend) would -- with above issues answered -- keep any troubles to a minimum.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
There's some stretches where the road is narrow, 2 lanes twisting without a shoulder. PO has mega towing experience & will help set up lamps & hook it up & tow it to pavement for me.

It doesn't have a stabilizer & it has been sitting for 6 years. PO says if it were him, he'd feel fine towing it to Phoenix in the condition it's in but won't do it for me. I have a tow chain but no break away as far as I know.

I'll look into insurance & install a break controller & tow mirrors. Hopefully doing it on a weekday will address the low traffic concern but it will be in the afternoon.

Thanks for your input & posting the route here Rednax.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
OK - I guess I'm going this week by myself to tow my Streamline Duchess home. It will be practice for me and I have my daughter's vote of confidence. She said she's towed a 20' trailer & she knows I can do it.

About a month ago I backed a Uhaul trailer into a narrow parking space in a small parking lot with hardly no room to get a good angle. It took me 20 mins but I did it without hitting anything. I was determined to learn. That experience gave me confidence.

It's a 70 mile trip, just wish it was flat. I be less nervous.

Any last words of advise? Wish me luck!

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Be careful and calm. You can do it. The practice and confidence you get from challenging yourself with these kinds of things are invaluable.

Dan
Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Go slow, take your time, use a low gear so you don't have to ride the breaks. If you get through a hairy part, pull over somewhere safe and take a break if you need to. You'll look back at this someday and be amazed you were ever afraid to do it yourself! I know exactly what you're feeling!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Please have a decent brake controller on your tow vehicle, and get the break away switch and power in the trailer (12 volt) to operate it in an emergency. Learn how to adjust the brake controller and do that in the first few miles you tow, or get to a parking lot where you can set it up and not be out on the road trying to do it.

People learn to tow all the time, as you have already done with the utility trailer. I am sure your daughter is right, you can do it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Wow!!!! ~ thanks everyone! It's amazing how much better I feel now with all those words of encouragement. I'll let you know how I do.

Stephanie, should I just use low gear when going down hill? That's what I thought.

Haha funny I have to ask a question like that...

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need help towing 23' Streamline

Greetings silverwoman!

Congratulations on your find and acquisition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
Wow!!!! ~ thanks everyone! It's amazing how much better I feel now with all those words of encouragement. I'll let you know how I do.

Stephanie, should I just use low gear when going down hill? That's what I thought.

Haha funny I have to ask a question like that...
In addition to what has already been mentioned, I would suggest that you be certain that your tow vehicle has a heavy-duty external transmission fluid cooler before approaching a trip with significant portions navigating grades. You are correct that gearing down on grades will save your brakes (both tow vehicle and trailer) and will give you greater control of your rig . . . but this can also help to increase transmission temperatures if the transmission cooling system is not adequate.

Working trailer brakes for a tow such as you are approaching would be a must in my opinion. I often use my emergency/remote control to apply the trailer brakes when on a down-grade if there is just a little too much speed building (this saves my tow vehicle brakes particularly when I am towing with my Vintage Cadillac). The Hayes-Lemmerz trailer brake controller with the optional remote control is my favorite brake controller as it doesn't require a long-distance reach for a dash mounted trailer brake control lever . . . . I keep the emergency button on my automatic transmission selector lever where it is always close at hand . . . or it rides on the console next to me.

Take it slow and easy as you get accustomed to the handling characteristics of your rig. Don't allow any other drivers on the road intimidate you, but be prepared to utilize turn outs if they are available to let faster traffic pass by if they are available when on two-lane stretches. My first towing experience was from the dealer home with my then new 1980 Nomad . . . had to dirve through 20 miles of road construction zones with no shoulders and 24" drop-offs on the right hand side . . . made a few drivers a little impatient as I was driving 20 MPH below the posted limit . . . but took my first opportunity after that stretch for a quick break at a Dairy Queen. Your first trip can be a confidence builder with your homework and tow vehicle preparation.

Good luck with your expedition!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote