Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't believe the longer bar story. For 2 reasons; I was told, iirc, by hensley that there are only a couple of bar manufacturers and they are commonly sourced by all hitch manufacturers. Second, the front of the bars mount in the same location, or close to, relative to ball position and all my snap-up and jack brackets are in the same location on the A-frame.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also question the "longer bar requires more force" thing. The longer the lever, the greater the mechanical advantage for torque.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
So at the end of the day, RFP sets up hefty bars. Is the test the "bounce test" to see if there's some flexibility, a ride on a washboard road and post-rivet count or something else to determine to stick with them or go to the 800# bars?

And is a trip to the scales required to conduct the experiment to calculate tongue weight and know for sure how much is getting transferred to the TV front and TT axles?

Very fascinating discussion!! Thanks for your patience while I tag along, RFP!
The "end of the day" test for me was some a-frame flex and a popped rivet with my EQ 1000# bars and getting out of the truck while the tv rear wheels were in a dip, and seeing virtually no flex in the Eq bars and the rear wheels hanging in the air. OK, I exagerate, but the truck was way too high in the air.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The "end of the day" test for me was some a-frame flex and a popped rivet with my EQ 1000# bars and getting out of the truck while the tv rear wheels were in a dip, and seeing virtually no flex in the Eq bars and the rear wheels hanging in the air. OK, I exagerate, but the truck was way too high in the air.
Exactly when I pulled the Equal-I-Zer and then a second hitch off and began looking for a more flexible w.d. bar. Inland Andy's test of w.d. bar flexibility confirms this, sometimes referring to the EQ bars as railroad rails.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
CanAM shortened the Hensley Arrow stinger about 5" and drilled a new locking pin hole. After that they put a slight downward bend in the stinger. They also reinforced the receiver on the 2007 Mercedes (has the Mercedes air bag suspension) with an arm going forward. See photo of the underside of the car in the "images" under my avatar.

I started with the Hensley 1,000 pound bars. The 25FB had a tongue weight of 1,150 pounds per the Shureline scales on the dealers lot (literature tongue weight was 833 pounds) with the hitch head attached, full propane and fresh water tanks, street side and rear awnings and my suitcase. There was a power cord and some miscellaneous supplies under the front bed. Camping ready and stuff moved around, the Shureline reported a tongue weight of about 1,175 pounds.

I had a smooth ride. When fully loaded for camping, the axle ratings were then exceeded on the Mercedes. We switched to a 2012 Ram 2500 HD Cummins with an all air bag level ride suspension. We still used the same jack settings but a different drop stinger from Hensley.

We put the Hensley on the 23D which has a tongue weight of 968 pounds (factory literature says 720) and are towing it with the same Mercedes and same settings on the Hensley. The rear of the car seemed high so I changed from the 3" exposed shaft to 3.25" and plan to try the scales again. There is a slight undulation now going down the road. We had all the stuff we would want inside the car for this first real trip to check out the scales. Andy at CanAM did not mention changing the 1,000 pound bars for the 800 pound Hensley bars.

We started the Classic with the 1,400 pound bars from ProPride. Early on the tongue weight was 1,375 pounds from the four Lifeline 6 Vdc 300-amp hour batteries and stainless steel enclosure just behind the propane tanks. We have it under 1,200 pounds now. The 600 amp-hour lithium battery and Magnum MS-2812 inverter are located under the front sofa. We are still experimenting with the jacks for the ride. We started at 6" on the jacks per Sean.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't think hensley has 800# bars, unless that's new. The 800# I refer to were Reese DC. I wish hensley had 800# bars.