Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
need help pulling the trailer by hand

we just ordered the Trailer valet 5 from etrailer.com
it will attach to the side of our sp0rt 22FB

this will allow me and my wife to independently move the trailer and up a short ramp ie like our driveway.

https://www.trailervalet.com/
this was one of the smallest unit we saw.

electric power comes from a portable drill( that we keep in the trailer already), thus no bulky battery motor set to lug around
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bet it sucks the drill battery down quickly.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I didn't like the loss of control experienced when you use the drill. The Trailer Valet has two gear ratios and is very easy to control and move by hand if you choose not to use the drill.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I'd purchased the XL and found it couldn't handle the slight slope of my driveway, I hope your experience turns out better.

The gearing works well, it doesn't really increase any drain on the drill battery more than normal.

I would caution to barely raise your front jack to clear the pavement (skim) until you're completely comfortable with it.

Let us know how well it works for you.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Thumbs down

If that's how you have to hold your body while holding drill and steering the dolly, you back won't last very long. Although the concept looks good, the ergonomics look ill conceived. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no way a drill powered dolly will push or pull your 6500+/- lb 22' AS up a grade, let alone what will you do to power the brakes on the trailer to keep it from rolling away from you, or over you!

BTW - the powered dolly makers do recco always pushing the trailer up, & pulling down - with the dolly downhill so the tongue weight is on the dolly for it's tires to get traction.

In this situation small is not helpful.

Eventually you'll need to get a real dolly with a 1/2 HP or so electric motor, & there are several mfgrs out there whom you can check out.

I got the Power Mover, which is custom made for each customers needs from their range of AC & DC powered dollies, & they can make it with a brake control for the trailer's brakes on a grade.

I have a 3000 lb (wet & loaded) 1960 Avion T20 vintage kin silver twinkie, & an 8% grade at the front of the driveway for about 20' & got the 1/2HP AC with brake control, onboard 12V battery to run the brakes off the 7-pin connector & 5 wheels (3 or 4 would've worked for the pavement, but I also need it on turf in the back yard to the ultimate parking spot).

Get the weight of your trailer(wet & loaded) , length & % of your grade(s), then call & talk to Brady there.

http://www.powerdolly.co/

Check out the others out there too.

Good Luck!
Tom
////////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Negative buyer experience indicates it will not work on even a small grade. As Tom T. sez, other powered models are available...don't know that you need a custom built one, but always check out what other buyers have to say about models they may have tried.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Negative buyer experience indicates it will not work on even a small grade. As Tom T. sez, other powered models are available...don't know that you need a custom built one, but always check out what other buyers have to say about models they may have tried.
Just to clarify, they are not all custom dollies from Power Mover at the link I gave above. They have a series of standard models, which you can order as shown, or have features added based on your needs.

The owner Brady will also tell you what you need for what you want to do with it, & add anything custom you may want added.

They also sometimes have ones which come back as buy-backs from users who no longer have trailers, so sometimes he has refurbished ones at a discount, which they can add any needed features to in their shop (similar to pre-owned Hensley & Pro-Pride hitches).

They made a special receiver for me to accept the Hensley Cub "Stinger" tow bar, since I'm not going to dismount the Cub every time to get to the ball, plus the 12v battery + brake hand controller + 7-pin electrical connector at the dolly, & that all works fine over 3-4 years now.

But check out all the manufacturers & their models to see what you want to use.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
it seems to work well. its all in the gearing.

in low gear it pulls fine. just like how a pulley works.
If the battery runs out, i have extra 18V batteries for the drill
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote